So, is BC Rich officially dead? Apparently not. But there's abalone. And it's owned by FFDP.

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by electriceye, Jan 18, 2018.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

They have seven variants of the same Super Strat vs. almost 20 "original shaped" models with supposedly more on the way (Iron Bird, etc.).

2. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Okay, point taken..

For 7-stringers like me there is only the Shredzilla if I'm not mistaken. Are there more 7's on the way as well?

Also, how is availability in Europe? Seems like BC Rich is US exclusive atm.

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

If they really don't have the budget to take risks like they used to, then I think they're trying to take it slow. Seeing what people want before they start splurging.

4. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

I'm buying a shredzilla because no one else has the balls to make an 8 string with a Floyd and it looks cool. Also it's a pointy superstrat, as pointy as you can get as far as a superstrat can go.

Hollowway likes this.
  5. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

Everything is back except for the Draco, Virgin, Beast, and Ignitor.

They've been doing Superstrats since forever.

The goal of the line is to show how diverse they are and give all BC Rich fans something. There ARE BC Rich fans into superstrats..so they got you covered. Want something pointy? They got all the Vs, Warlocks, Ironbirds, Warbeasts and stuff for you. Wanna pretend you're Chuck Schuldiner? They got Stealths......Ok Boomer? They got Mockingbirds, Biches and "old style" stuff. Extended range fan? They got you covered.

Play bass? They got Warlocks and Widows in 4 and 5 string.

AND from what I understand they're custom shop is bigger than ever in case ya want something the regular line doesn't cover.

Not only did they drop all this stuff BUT they're making sure it's quality. They want to avoid the BC Rich bronze plague and introduce "top of the line" gear for serious players WHILE still giving some tacky flare because that's what BC Rich is known for.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

Also everything above said is true. Ever since the 80s they've had at least one superstrat. SIII, Gunslinger, Assassin, Villain... This is just a new generation of Superstrats to fit in for more modern sensibilities.

The only reason you're seeing everyone talk about the Shredzilla is because you're on a website that pretty much worships the RG shape :lol:

7. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Hmmmm, I'm just biased towards 7 strings I guess. You guys are right. If I wanted a pointy 6 string, there are options. And I'm not complaining about abalone or scale lengths... :)

8. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

Personally I hate super strats..they're boring as fuck and seem to be for people who lack individuality or imagination..but that's just me.

That being said those Shredzillas look like cool. I'd try one in a store if I found one. Doubt I'd ever buy one but, ya never know

9. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

I used to hate them, then I got one because of the wizard necks and soon after followed 3 superstrat 7's. Nowadays I'm looking at 7's that aren't superstrats. Like tele style guitars. (Ibanez FR, Ormsby TX GTR7)
    Personally I'd love more BC Rich 7's. Like a mockingbird 7 with an inline headstock, or a Warlock, Ignitor, Virgin or Virgo (I like one but not the other and always forget wich one it is :D )
    I don't have the funds to buy another guitar right now anyway but it's nice to have options.. :)
    Also custom shop is waaaaay out of my league. If it wasn't I probably would've had one yeaaaaars ago!

Edit: I was certain they would've had a 7 string Warlock somewhere in the initial run.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  10. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

That is nice. I can only imagine the back springs for the Floyd are holding on for dear life. LOL.

11. Russian Robot

Russian Robot Arbiter of Cheeses

Eh. All of the specs that I want on one guitar, generally, only appear on super strats.

JustinRhoads1980 and Adieu like this.
  12. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

You don’t need much tension on an 8 string Floyd, really. I have one and it’s not substantially different than a 6 or 7. I’ve never done a test, but I would think that reducing springs on the 8 would feel looser than and increased spring 6 string.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  13. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Magnetic truss rod cover is a nice touch. Do we know if this is an across-the-board feature, or just on these glammed-up 50th builds?

Screenshot_20191207-163926_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20191207-163932_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20191207-170643_Instagram.jpg

Randy, Edika, Adieu and 4 others like this.
  14. Hollowway

Damn, is the magnetic truss rod cover something that they just came up with now, or has it been around? That's an awesome idea.

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

I've heard of magnetic control cavities, which is similar.

Merrekof and JustinRhoads1980 like this.
  16. Hollowway

Yeah, me too, but I feel like this is the first I've seen of the truss rod covers. I rarely go into the control cavity, but I feel like I'm in that truss rod cavity at least once a year.

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

TBH I like Ibanez's approach the most. The truss rod cover is screwed on, but has a window that can open.

[​IMG]

18. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

I think those are only for the 50th custom builds and maybe custom shop as well.

From the website it looks as if they are just plain old fashioned.

Also that trans black fr shredzilla is calling me, too bad since I just put a order in for a kemper which I have been saving up for the better part of the whole year.

19. Hollowway

Yep, I agree. I wish smaller luthiers had a slick strategy like that. And all Ibbys had it!

20. AltecGreen

AltecGreen SS.org Regular

My old Alquier Fastback had both magnetic cavity covers and a magnetic truss rod cover.

Hollowway likes this.