So I'm looking for a new 7...

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by cwilliamson, Mar 28, 2011.

1. cwilliamson

cwilliamson cwilliamson

My last 7 was an Agile Interceptor pro, but I couldn't get over the 27" scale because it made high speed bends on my higher strings so much more difficult even with light strings and it annoyed the crap out of me. Ive been shopping around and I found a BC Rich Jr V 7 hardtail, has anybody here played around on one of these? There's really only a few things I'm particular about for a new 7.

- Neck through body (or a bolt on with the smallest heel joint possible)
    - 25.5" scale
    - about $400-$600 price range

Ive played on both the Ibanez and Schecter 7's so I already know about those, but does anybody know of any other options...?

jymellis likes this.
  2. Woke Up Dead

Woke Up Dead SS.org Regular

From the research I did, the reason for the longer neck is to accomodate the required tension for the strings. Which means going for anything much smaller than 27" on a 7 string may cause some fret buzz and possibly intonation problems.

I ended up with the Agile Pendulum Elite. So it has fanned frets (a multi-scaled guitar). If you think of a guitar like a grand piano (notice the low strings are much longer than the treble strings as a result of its S shape), the reason for that shape is that that is what is needed in order for the strings to perform properly. From what I learned, a regular 6 string guitar is already pushing the limit of what a single scaled stringed instrument should be able to handle. Once we have 7 strings or more we can run into problems. With a multi-scaled guitar (ie - 25.5" to 27") the nut and bridge are angled in opposite directions with frets being fanned to compensate giving you a 25 inch scale on the high string and a 27 inch scale on the low string. Thus the guitar is meant to have proper tension on all strings, reducing frett buzz and is also said to be better intonated. This can even improve 6 string guitars.

I originally had the same budget as you but had a lot of trouble finding a 7 string I liked and the local music stores here were useless which lead to me looking elsewhere and doing more research. I spent the extra few hundred and got the Agile Pendulum Elite because it is the only fanned fret guitar within a reasonable price range . I am quite happy with it and my midget hands have been able to get used to it quite easily. I'm not sure if the fact that the frets are fanned would help with your problem but I thought it would be worth considering.

Otherwise I got nothing. lol Good luck.

3. cwilliamson

cwilliamson cwilliamson

That's definitely an interesting possibility. I have the same problem with the local stores not having much. I'd much rather experiment on a multiscale before buying one. Also I know that alot of companies make a 25.5 scale 7 but I only go down to drop A. I'm just having trouble finding an affordable one that has a neck through. Lol.

4. Dark_Matter

Dark_Matter SS.org Regular

5. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

There are plenty of Ibanez Prestiges, for example, with a 25.5" scale - and that's just off the top of my head. There are plenty, plenty more. I don't think you want to second guess them :)
    While we're at it, Gibsons are 24. something in scale, so ditto for 25.5" pushing the limit.

Multi-scale necks are cute, but definitely unnecessary.
    As for affordability... I'm not too sure you'd want to go there.
    The fact that 27" scales helps with tuning stability and buzzing is true. It simply increases tension - otherwise you'd have to use much thicker strings and that might be worse for you than having a 27" length.
    Furthermore, having an 'affordable' instrument is an issue particularly when using thicker strings or dealing with potential fret-buzz, at least in my experience.

There were semi-custom Agiles around the forum a week ago. I think you could order a 25.5" 7 stringer through them.

6. Dark_Matter

"about $400-$600 price range"

That's the only issue.

7. MatthewK

MatthewK SS.org Regular

8. cwilliamson

cwilliamson cwilliamson

I think the MH-417 mentioned earlier is closest to what Im looking for, granted its a little more than what I want to spend at the moment but maybe I'll look for a used one. Is nobody familiar with the BC Rich i mentioned in my original post?

9. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

rg7621/7421 for fixed. rg7620/7420 for floaters ;)

10. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

For the millionth time, get the MH-417 :lol:

11. Dark_Matter

yeah really, the MH-417 is wicked. My buddy got one a few days ago, plays like a dream.

get it.

12. cwilliamson

cwilliamson cwilliamson

ESP's necks are just orgasmic in my opinion lol

13. Randomist

Randomist SS.org Regular

a schecter.. oh wait...

actually i just searched for the esp, it sounded promising with your budget, but $699 transfers to £659 when it gets here dammit! It looks solid enough, and the prices for esps over there seem much more reasonable than those here, where only ibanez and schecter really seem to be decent buys. obv schecter and ibby are bolt ons, although ibby offer the aanj and schecter offer lots of wood, and schecter are now mostly 26.5" in 7 and above i think.

I've never had much contact with BC Rich guitars, they always alienate me with ugly, so no help there.

I think the best options for you are probably an ibby of choice or that esp.

14. cwilliamson

cwilliamson cwilliamson

Yeah I've seen some nice ibanez 7's but I'd prefer the ESP. The BC Rich's specs are pretty comparable to the ESP but with passive pickups, and about $300 less lol. So unless a used mh-417 turns up I'll probably go with the BC Rich.

15. BLACKFOX86

BLACKFOX86 Well-Known Member

I got my LTD MH-417 about two weeks ago and I must say it's defenetly one of the best 7 strings out there! Wonderful satin neck.

16. Woke Up Dead

Woke Up Dead SS.org Regular

IMO you generally get what you pay for. I always try and buy a quality used guitar. Obviously it helps to have actually tried it out. Either way I think it would be worth it to save up a couple extra hundred and buy something you can actually keep for a long time and be happy with. You seem to be right on the edge of being able to afford some nice guitars. I say wait it out and keep up the saving.

Or... sell a kidney. What's a kidney worth these days anyway?

17. cwilliamson

cwilliamson cwilliamson

Depends who you sell it to haha. But I've got an ESP I've had for a few years so I have an idea as to how they feel and play. In my opinion a REALLY nice 7 would be a guerilla or kxk. But those are about a couple grand from what I've seen lol

18. Lukifer

Lukifer Need more gain

If Im not mistaken you can get Agile 7 strings in 25.5". Its the 725 and opposed to the 727.

19. cwilliamson

cwilliamson cwilliamson

I know agile makes 25.5's but I believe they're either bolt on or like almost $700 which is more than I really want to spend. I can get a BC Rich for $400 with a 25.5" scale and neck through body

20. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Keep your eyes open for Agile B-stocks. They're usually 100-200$ cheaper and the defects are nothing to worry about. I bought my Interceptor for 400$ and it was almost perfect.