So, I'm having trouble deciding on my next 7 string...HELP!

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by SonicBlur, Mar 31, 2014.

1. SonicBlur

SonicBlur SS.org Regular

I've been playing 6 strings for what seems like forever. I want to upgrade to a 7 string but I can't decide on one. I have gone through two Agile Interceptor Pros (a 727 and a 725) but I just couldn't mesh with them.

Now I have sold off a few guitars and have some coin. Ideally I want a Mayones, to me that is my holy grail, but its just way too much coin.

Currently, I am between:

Schecter KM-7
    [​IMG]

OR

Ibanez RG927QM (with NO trem system)
    [​IMG]

I am LITERALLY at odds with myself, I just CAN'T make up my mind between the two. What do you guys suggest???

2. asopala

asopala SS.org Regular

Go for the merrow. The stainless steel frets and the carbon fiber inserts on the neck (not to mention the glowing inlays) make it an absolutely stellar guitar. I have yet to play a better seven string for 1000 dollars.

3. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

I owned the 827Z (Same as that 927, just with a trem, worse pickups and no maple top) and it was a fantastic guitar, but felt really sterile and lifeless. It played well, it just felt like it had no soul to it.

I'd say go with the Schecter. There's fewer upgrades that you'd want to do to it (if anything, a pickup swap depending on your taste - and I can tell you that you'd be able to sell the Sentient/Nazgul set more easily than DiMarzio/Ibanez pups), and it's just so much more of an interesting guitar in terms of specs and looks.

That picture of the 927 looks really strange, though - I've never seen one that brown, or with a fretboard that dark. In reality it's much more red, and the fretboard is rosewood - that looks either dyed or ebony (or like someone messed with the colors).

This is closer to reality:

[​IMG]

Just in case that affects your opinion.

4. Iceberg

Iceberg Black Metal Man

I Have a schecter blackjack 7, very similar to the keith merrow custom in many ways, and i LOVE it. kickass guitar, and personaly, ive never been a huge fan of ibbys. specs wise, the KM is definitely the way to go!

5. SonicBlur

SonicBlur SS.org Regular

I'm really leaning towards the KM-7 but I just love the Ibanez top as well as the overall Ibanez quality based on my Ibanez 6 strings. If I can find a Trans White KM-7 I'll probably go that route.

6. Obsidian Soul

Obsidian Soul SS.org Regular

Or you can get a Jackson DKA7...

7. sartorious

sartorious a good lurking guy

Part of what I'd look at is trying to understand why you didn't mesh with either Agile. Maybe that could help the decision.

8. Obsidian Soul

I'd say it's the differences between the Agiles and his new options.The neck thickness,weight,and quality could be the issue. I know Ibanez have some stellar guitars for their prices.I'm not so sure about Schecter.

9. SonicBlur

SonicBlur SS.org Regular

That is a great observation. What killed me the most was the absolutely lifeless sound. I am a huge EMG fan, I love the 81/85 combo in some of my sixers but the 707s sounded muddy, thick...empty. I tried replacing with fresh batteries, but in all fairness to the Agiles I never attempted any kind of setup. The licensed Floyd also left a lot to be desired, on both guitars (with the string locks tight) still had tuning issues.

In retrospect, I could have tried a different pickup combo but there was just nothing that drove me to play those. They were great to look at but that was about it.

10. Obsidian Soul

According to specs,I'd vote for the KM-7(or Jackson DKA7:evil:),but the feelz will probably be the defining factor.The KM-7 has pickups that will more than likely appeal to you than the Dimarzio/Ibanez pickups,the scale length helps for low tunings,and swamp ash is a brighter wood,if you believe in tonewoods,which would also work for low tunings.Basswood is the only wood I know of that some people describe as "dull" and "lifeless."

Disclaimer:I do not hate or dislike basswood.All of my guitars are made of basswood.

11. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

I vote for the Ibby here.

There seems to be a $300 price difference between the two. Ibanez pickups usually get swapped pretty quickly and that $300 saved over the Schecter could get you a set of Dimarzio's or Duncan's with some cash left over. Also, if you can do the pup swaps yourself, there are always BKPs for sale here in the marketplace.

12. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Let's examine the differences here:

- Ibanez is 25.5" scale, Schecter is 26.5" (I think).
    - Both the Tight-End R bridge on the Ibanez and the Hipshot on the Schecter are fine units. A few KM-7s though have had a problem where screws have been falling out of the bridges. It's a growing pain, but it is still an issue to consider.
    - The Schecter has what are generally considered to be better pickups out of the box. However, there's still no guarantee that those pickups will do anything for you if they don't match your tonal preferences. Pickup replacement is a very real possibility on either unit.
    - The Schecter is probably Korean made, while the Ibanez is Indonesian. I'd say Korean guitars are a bit better overall, but it's not so dramatic as the difference between China vs. Japan, so in fairness, the right Ibanez could match the quality of any Korean Schecter.
    - The Shecter is ash, which is a bright sounding wood. The Ibanez is basswood with a maple top, which will sound fairly neutral.
    - The Schecter has stainless steel frets. For some people, that's a definite selling point.

13. SonicBlur

SonicBlur SS.org Regular

Now THAT is some info!! I ended up getting a Trans Black Schecter. But I still love that Ibanez. If I sell off some of my other guitars I still want one....someday.