So I went to see Ghost

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Andless, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

I'm old enough to have listened to stuff like Reign In Blood and such when it was new, and I'm the first to admit that I find it hard to become excited about new metal bands, last band that really impressed me that I can remember was Pantera back in 1992.

But I'm delighted to have found a rekindled love for metal and one of the bands that has delighted me recently is Ghost, out of Swedish town Linköping. Limited to no wankery, restraint on the gain knob, and well crafted songs, I like it.

Pic from tonights concert:

[​IMG]

2. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Have yet to catch them live in person, everything I've seen or heard has been awesome though.

3. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

Concert was good. Saw them first time when they played before In Flames and Trivium in November 2011. Walked away feeling that Ghost was more interesting than the other bands that played that night. :lol:

4. Fat-Elf

Fat-Elf Banned

I hadn't even heard of them when I saw them live with In Flames and Trivium but by the time their set was done I was in love with them. To be honest, I didn't like their second album that much but Opus Enonymous is still a masterpiece. :metal:

Don Vito likes this.
  5. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

They are both cool in their own way and I'm sure the third album will be just as different from first two.

6. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

Yep. I like both albums. The If you have Ghosts EP produced by Dave Grohl is cool too. I think it's great they don't confine themselves to a particular recipe and evolve. How about a cover of Here comes the sun? They played that tonight (I know it is not the first time tho, but it put smiles on everybody's lips still).

7. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

I only started listening recently, but I'm in love with them. They've got good music, a fun cheesy gimmick, and a unique classic vibe. I think I'll be the first to say that I liked their second album more (or rather the same) than their first. Year Zero is my favorite.

I'm debating going as a nameless ghoul for Halloween.

8. spawnofthesith

spawnofthesith SS.org Regular

Don't get this band, terrible music and terrible gimmick imo. Sounds like stoner rock lite edition.

But to each their wn, music is subjective lol

9. PlumbTheDerps

PlumbTheDerps SS.org Regular

Saw them with Opeth a couple of years ago and I had no idea who/what they were. Came away loving them. I really don't get all the hate.

10. RickSchneider

RickSchneider SS.org Regular

As a 20 year old who likes breakdowns more than I care to admit, when I caught a few songs of these guys at Soundwave (the big Australian heavy/alternative festival) last year I couldn't help but be a bit weirded out, but at the same time I had to give them some respect. While I didn't love the songs, they really played well, and sounded pretty damn good!

11. BaptizedBurning

BaptizedBurning SS.org Regular

Great band. They get a lot of hate for being gimicky. But the music is good and the imagery just adds to the overall atmosphere and fun of the band. It wouldn't be as good without the costumes and stuff. I saw them a few a months ago and it was a great show.

12. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

I think they look amazing and play great...I just don't care for the songs or sound. I appreciate that they sound different and I really wanted to like them too but it just doesn't get over for me. Great name, great logo, I dig the gimmick, nice merch...I just won't be wearing any.

That said, I've not seen them live in all fairness.

13. isispelican

isispelican SS.org Regular

I saw them this summer and they were great, love em!

14. Bilbone Shaggins

Bilbone Shaggins Burglar 4 S8N

People actually pay to see a Blue Oyster Cult cover band?

15. splinter8451

splinter8451 SS.org Regular

I have seen them 3 times now and they never disappoint. They play great, sound great, and it is a show (not just people playing music).

16. DXL

DXL SS.org Regular

"Listening to Ghost is supposed to sound like you've just been handed that record from 1975-76, and someone tells you that 'this was the best horror rock band of the 1970s...Can't believe you haven't heard this!' and you just put that on...and hear Ghost."
    -A Nameless Ghoul, interview on Exclaim! Magazine, May 2013

I love Ghost because they took a dead genre of music and brought it back. They're literally the "ghost" of horror-psychedelia.

17. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

In all fairness, I only paid $12.50 .... ;) well worth the money.

18. EmaDaCuz

EmaDaCuz Brutal yet soulful

Saw them live at a metal fest in the Netherlands. Not my kind of music, but I have to say they are great. Catchy music, great atmospheres, fantastic interaction with the audience... nothing to say.
    However, their music loses that theatrical atmosphere on CD. You really have to see them live to like their stuff. Some songs, like Year Zero or Monstrance Clock, give you instant goosebumps.

19. oompa

oompa Ze.. Contributor

They're cool, they have some weird mix of influences (I smell both ABBA, Black Sabbath and King Diamond?), and I saw them live this summer after being curious for a couple of years, they were good live.

Mainly though for me, as a band (or concept) they run a fine balancing act, it is really, really difficult to do what they do in 2014 without looking pretentious or silly, but because of their mellow and subtle take on the concept it actually becomes kind of cool. I thought that kind of stuff belonged in the past, that it was impossible to pull of now but they do it and I love it :lol:

I feel their two albums are good but I am missing something, just something that I can't put my finger on, I hope the third album will have it. Overall they're one of the most interesting bands in Sweden right now, in the wake of a great early melodic/thrash DM period that has ebbed out and the following vacuum of clones they are very refreshing to me.

20. wat

wat SS.org Regular

Well I finally listened to this band because of this thread and I don't see what's NOT to love.

I put on Opus Eponymous, let it play through oh my god. :bowdown: one of the best metal bands I've heard, no doubt.