So I Visited Fractal Audio Today (Axe-FX tidbits/fun)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by zimbloth, Aug 31, 2010.

1. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

So I visited Fractal Audio today, makers of the beloved Axe-FX. As many of you who follow the AP facebook page know, I've been having a hell of a time updating the firmware from 7.18 to 10.01. Cliff invited me to drive up to New Hampshire and he'd update it himself, which is exactly what I did today. I'd like to share a bit about my trip, it was really enlightening.

The first thing I noticed when I walked in was a shitload of the anticipated MFC-101 MIDI floor boards. People have been waiting for these FOREVER and they're all done. They're obviously going to some artists first like Petrucci and Vai, but said in the next couple weeks he should have enough to start shipping them to us regular guys. He gave me a DEMO of the unit and it's REALLY cool. Not only does it have a great feature set, but the fact it's designed to fit properly into a rack might be the coolest idea ever. It's pretty expensive, but all the blinky lights make it all-right in the end.

I also saw a prototype for a cool 'effects-only' version of the Axe-FX that is designed to compete with units like the TC Electronic G-System. This is a really cool idea. I asked if a rack version would be available and he said yes (!).

The most fun part of my visit however was getting to demo the Atomic Reactor FR Wedge speaker. It was a 'night-and-day' improvement over other 'full range' speakers I've tried the Axe-FX with. It had great tone at any volume, no awkward high-end response like with QSC stuff, just great tone. It comes with JJ tubes also which is awesome. The Axe-FX sounded really amazing through the Reactor. I may have to get one sometime. It made every other FR speaker I've tried sound like a joke, and it was light-weight.

We also discussed amps for a while. Cliff is super-knowledgeable and shed some light on a lot of things that I never knew about pertaining to amps like Mesas, Soldanos, Peaveys, VHT, etc. Very cool stuff, he's a real straight shooter. And this came to no surprise to me, but he said he absolutely loves the Fryette 2/50/2 poweramp and said he used that with the Axe-FX for his live rig forever. He's pretty much retired from being a performing musician these days, which is a shame because I watched him play and he fucking RIPS.

I also offered to loan him some of the amps I carry at my store which I'd love to see made into Axe-FX models, such as the H&K Triamp MKII or the Fryette Pittbull Ultra-Lead. He said he pretty much would need a schematic first and then go from there. Although it doesnt sound like there'll be any new models soon, hes really focused on the new products he's been working on like the MIDI controller and effects processor.

All in all it was a fun time and I really appreciate Cliff taking the time to fix up my Ultra. He updated it to 10.02, which I don't believe is even out yet (no new amps, just minor stuff mainly related to the new MFC-101) and it sounds killer. The models in 7.18 sounded better and the new stuff sounded incredible. The 'Marsha' modified JCM800 ones sounded insane, as did the Bogner and Orange stuff. I liked the Mesa, Peavey, Bogner, Fryette, and Soldano models a lot better too. I'm only scratching the surface though as I haven't had time to really play with it yet. I had to rush back to my shop to catch up on business and ship out some product.

Time will tell if any of this will result in me deviating from my live rig, as my past attempts of using the Axe-FX in that environment did not work for me, but I'm definitely encouraged. I'm loving my ENGL/Fryette setup just fine right now though. If nothing else, I'm excited to start tracking new material for my band NEMECIDE's first full-length CD in the fall/winter. I was happy with the tone on our EP but it could have been way better - and it shall!

PS: Myself nor The Axe Palace has any affiliation with Fractal, they don't have dealers. I'm just a fan :)

PPS: Sorry no pics. I thought it would be inappropriate to start busting out my iPhone camera and taking pics of a private office with prototypes all around. Use your imagination or ask me questions if you're curious about what something looked like.

2. MorbidTravis

MorbidTravis Banned

bring me next time

3. silentrage

silentrage The DeRailer

Hmm, I think the authorized repair contractors for an amp manufacturer will have access to all the schematics, if there are any one who work at or know someone in one of these places, maybe we can get cliff in touch with them. :D

4. rcsierra13

rcsierra13 SS.org Regular

Thanks for that dude was very enlightening. Looking forward to getting my hands on an Axe-fx, they are hard to come by down under

5. biggness

biggness Contributor

Pretty cool stuff man. :yesway:

Out of curiosity, what sort of guitars does Cliff play? Also, I can vouch for the pure awesomeness of the AxeFx + Fryette 2/50/2 combo. It's dr00ltal. :drool:

6. MorbidTravis

MorbidTravis Banned

behringer has access to everything mackie, if they can get access to ANYTHING then it shouldnt be as hard as it sounds.

7. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

That's awesome, especially regarding the effects only unit. :yesway:

8. zimbloth

He was using a turquoise flame top Warmoth superstrat with Duncans.

9. Despised_0515

Despised_0515 Bassist of Redivider Contributor

SO excited to actually get what I wish for! Effects-Only AxeFX!!!
    It was a thought I had which I simply nudged aside thinking it'd never happen.
    Words can't express how excited I am for it and how thankful I am for this report.

Looking forward to hearing new Nemecide bro :metal:

10. victim5150

victim5150 SS.org Regular

When you say an effects only unit like a TC G- System do you mean a all in one floor unit like the G-System? Or a rack? The G-System does both. Just curious cause I would live an Axe-Fx floor unit with the effects built in like a G-System.

11. cataclysm_child

cataclysm_child NOT a ss.org Regular

Stop being so appropriate.
    :worth:
    :fawk:

12. Rashputin

Rashputin SS.org Regular

Thanks!

Awesome zim, I wish I had the $ for an AxeFX today after reading that. The floor board was one of the main arguments for going Line 6 (the FBV Longboard), but with that 100% compatible midi board out, that argument is gone. On tone and dynamics, the Axe is still the best. Guess we'll have to see how that HD line from Line 6 sounds. If its just a re-packaging of the same models and sounds I'll be disappointed.

13. BigPhi84

BigPhi84 Pronounced "FEE"

Were the wedges that you tried the ones with the power amp built-in or was the power amp separate? Was the 50 watts enough?

14. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

Sounds superb, and great to know they're pushing ahead with the products :)

(also - blinking lights FTMFW)

15. Baco

Baco Banned

Indeed, I don't need the amp models (I have my Mesa Dual Recto, that's enough for me) but tapping into the awesome FX the AxeFX has on offer, that would be very interesting!

16. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

Awesome, can't wait until I get my axe :D

17. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

Effects only version of the Axe eh? That could definitely be cool depending on the price point, might be worth while to sell off my Ultra and grab that if the price is right.

18. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Do you want to have my babies ?

19. zimbloth

Thanks man, I really appreciate that :)

Yeah it was a floor unit, and like I said there will be a 2U rack version eventually too.

The Reactor wedge unit I tried was powered. It had two JJ 6L6GC and one 12AX7 for the phase inverter. It sounded fucking great and it could get LOUD.

Hmm... I'll consider it if you purchase a PRS ;)

20. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

That's badass, Nick. :metal: