So.... I traded Dow a quality tier and up a string.......regrets inside.....

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by exo, Jul 16, 2019.

1. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Thread title says it ALL....

First and foremost, I am NOT a bass player. I’m a (very marginal) rhythm guitarist with about a bazillion semi terrible song ideas in his head.

I HAD been using an Ibby SR4O5QM tuned to drop Ab as a songwriting tool to facilitate my terrible ideas.....but I just HAD to have that extra high string to play two or 3 notes every 18 months or so, and traded down to a GSR206SM.

YES, I knew it was a GIO.

YES, I knew it was pretty much as “entry level” as it gets.....

YES, I knew that it really only barely resembles the stupidly comfortable SR format us “barely a guitar player” bass hacks so love.....

But DAMN.......I didn’t bargain for how TERRIBLY SHIT the pickups and preamp are.

My previous 405QM’s 1st gen CAP pickups and preamp were basically the Voice of God, comparitavely.....

Looking for options and suggestions, open to pretty much any idea that is “budget conscious”, just looking to see if there is a better route than just sucking it up, taking the loss, and realizing that if I REALLY wanted to screw around with a 6 string, I should saved up a couple hundred mor and grabbed an SD306EB.....

2. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

Once in a while a used SR506 will crop up around $400. That's the route I'd go.

Tuned, AxeHappy and exo like this.
  3. odibrom

odibrom .

One simply DOES NOT trade down to an Ibanez GIO model, even if it has an extra bling of some sort.

AxeHappy likes this.
  4. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Except for the shifty as hell necks, the Gios are surprisingly metal if you throw in a Duncan active pickup.

Lightning Rods or old Toggleswitchers for the 4 strings, soapbar actives for the more-stringers

5. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I wouldn't put more money into it. Instead, put that money into something nicer. Just be patient for a nicer 6er to come up for sale, they have terrible resale so you should be alright. Then just sell the Gio.

AxeHappy, exo, Emperoff and 1 other person like this.
  6. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

I would have just punched the higher notes rather than worrying about playing them in the moment with that extra string on a crappier bass. Or just avoid anything that needs to be played on a high C in general. 100% of the time I'm writing bass parts I'll go for the lower voicing of any given note or part over playing higher on the neck on on a higher string.

7. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

8. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

I wouldn't put money on it. Trade it away for something else, maybe a pedal. Then trade or sell the pedal and get yourself a real bass. As said above SR40X are solid basses for their cost.

9. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I bought a Gio 7 string with pickguard as a beater guitar back in 02 for $100, It had a 7620 neck on it when I took it apart and it was actually really nice. I don't know how that happened. It's also the only 22 fret Ibby 7 string I've seen since. Wish I never got rid of it.

10. GenghisCoyne

GenghisCoyne im here to party

you even lost 2 frets in the deal

Tuned and A-Branger like this.
  11. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

another case of a guitar player thinking somehow they "need" a 6 string bass.

Or either play those two notes higher up the fretboard in the G string, or jsut dont play them at all, bass doesnt have to be 100% copy/paste of what the guitar is doing. I get you are used to your guitar fretboard theory, but work around it.

sell the bass and get your self your 5 string you had before or somthing similar. The neck would feel more comfortable, one string less to mute, eassier access to string packs ready to buy at stores, less weight. HEck, I would even to on a limb and say that maybe even consideer a 4 string?, see what you actually play on bass and to see if you need those high strings and if you can get away with arranging the parts on a lower string?

but yeah, sell that bass nao

12. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

True, you can just tune to BEAD or AEAD and call it a day

13. LordIronSpatula

Even on my Dingwall, which has both the best B and C strings I've ever played, these factors are still very real trade-offs. (It's ironic that the bass that gives me the best sound on the B and E beyond the seventh fret is actually kind of uncomfortable to play up there because of the neck width.) A lot of chordal playing sounds clearest voiced with the C string but for other stuff I often wish it was a fiver.

I think the majority of guys using 5+ strings could do this. Playing a six is fun but a four or five is often more practical from an ergonomic or financial perspective. Sixers do have their advantages, but when I went down to five for a few years that bass was a nice experience for my back and my wallet.

A-Branger likes this.
  14. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

actually Im on the other side of the coin here. For most parts I think the highC its too high pitched, and I much preffer to play stuff on the G higher up the fretboard, that bit of extra low end the G string gives sounds better to me. Except for doing a solo, which as bass player I dont really do, and if so, Im not really a shreder and its not really needed either, and for the solos I do like/might do, I still like the "bass" sound on doing them on lower strings... think about that tone of bass that almost sounds like a Jazz guitar with the neck pickup tone rolled off

for me the HighC string is more for a comfortable playing. Its a tradeoff of tone (less bass) but you get a better fingering in a more confortable possition... So my hand doesnt go up/down the lehgt of the neck but it can stay in the same area of the fretboard. This is actually the same principle on why I play with 5 strings. I use the E-G notes on my lowB quite a lot so I can play more confortable.... BUT, I do use these notes ALOT same as the B-E range, so I do need to 5 string, in contrast I have no use for the highC. The amount of times I play/need that register it doesnt justify the loose in tone and the other factors I already mention.. As long as I have a 24 fret bass Im fine.... having a 20fret Fender in other hand thats another story lol

MAybe because I grew up playing bass as my main instrument, so maybe I EQ and approach my tone differently? reason why I dont like the spanklinest of the high C... and my aproach to playing is different, so I feel no need for the extra comfortable range. I get guitar players having their fretboard memory makes things eassier in a way, but I always try to steer people out of 6 strings because that reason. Ive never ever seen that many 6 string basses until I started hanging out in these guitar forums and guitar gear people

15. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Well, I appreciate everyone chiming in......At THIS point, I like the instrument itself, body feels more like a P-Bass than an SR, neck is getting more comfortable though it feels a hair too flat across the back, the width of the neck doesn’t bother me. the only “problem” I really have with my decision as of now is that the electronics of the bass are crap to my ears. Plays fine, sounds like dogshit. Was kinda hoping for suggestions on THAT front rather than “just go back to the 5 string”.....

My favorite bass player uses a 6.....but I don’t have Modulus money....

16. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Get one active Seymour Duncan pickup.

No preamp, just regular active-values pots

Zoobiedood and exo like this.
  17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

well, you can go and buy a new pre-amp and some new pickups... but then its the question "is it worth it?" , same deal as upgrading pickups and parts on a cheap guitar. Would it be fine? or would it be better to use that extra money to get a better instrument from the start.

If you love the bass and its playability, then go for it, if not, then sell it and use the money you were gonna spend on upgrades and get a better one.

also, one of my favourite bass players (DT's John Myung) plays with a 6.... yet I play 98% of his songs with a 5 ;) :p hehehe

cue the "but Jaco only needed four strings" *roll eyes* hahaha, as long as you are happy and know what you got yourself into, then its all good, enjoy your 6 strings bro :)

exo likes this.
  18. LordIronSpatula

Haha... Sorry for the tangential discussion. As someone that's gone back and forth on string count, I think there are valid points on both sides and I like to engage the topic. Although you did seem to downplay your need for the C in your first post, I didn't mean to suggest that you should have stayed with a five. You should play whatever you want, regardless of sting count or if you really "need" it. (For what it's worth, I'm also currently playing a six most of the time, whether I need to or not.)

So, options for the current bass: The weakest point of the less expensive Ibanez basses is almost always the preamp. If you really love the bass aside from its sound, you could bypass the preamp internally and just run it passive. That's an easy mod to reverse and would probably improve your tone. Also double check pickup height, as a lot of production basses ship with pickups close enough to the strings to strangle the tone a bit (my NG-3 included). And I probably don't need to suggest this, but just in case, make sure you're evaluating this bass's tone with a fresh set of quality strings.

Of course you could upgrade the pickups and/or preamp to further improve its sound. There are some decent sounding, reasonably priced pickup upgrade options out there. But honestly, I think the other guys are right from a pragmatic standpoint - rather than invest money into aftermarket parts for this bass, you could sell it and roll the upgrade money into a better instrument. For example, the used SR506 I mentioned. Their electronics are better (though not top tier) and I find they tend to have better playability than the GIO basses as well.

exo likes this.
  19. GenghisCoyne

GenghisCoyne im here to party

you will regret every penny you spend polishing that turd. even if you like it now every time you see another ibanez it will prod at you subtly. new pickups would scratch the itch for a bit but youre going to grow to hate that sticky finish on the neck, the cheap tuners, the shitty balance. you are better than this, your music is better than this, you are a queen, yaaassss.

20. exo

exo SS.org Regular

I get where you are coming from to an extent.....but the “turd” really isn’t that different from the previous 405QM in any of those areas other than the electronics. Seriously, it’s not like I had a Prestige level instrument on my hands before this ..

I’m not gonna drop more than about $50 on this thing before I move on. Maybe to a Dean Edge 6.....