So I just got a macbook after using PC my whole life, help :(

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by BTFStan, May 8, 2012.

1. BTFStan

BTFStan BTFStan

So before I get the "PC 4 LYFE U FUKED UP BRO" comments

I got a KILLER deal on a 2009 aluminum macbook pro, ($300 bucks)

I'm sitting here toying around with it and just getting used to the interface and stuff and the menus and the windows and shit.

Basically what I'm realllyyy concerned about is getting my programs on it running properly.

I mainly want to get my cubase 5 on it and be able to open all my projects and transfer all my audio files and make this my recording pc. Do i have to get a MAC version of cubase or should the version I have have a Mac install as well? If this whole thing doesnt work out oh well, I can probably sell it for a lot more. But I'd like to see if I can make it work. If I can get cubase 5 working for mac will all my plugins still work? or do i have to get mac versions of those too. (that would really suck) if I get a mac version of cubase can I still open my projects that I made on a PC version?

I basically just want to pickup right where I left off with my pc.
    any help and info is appreciated.
    thanks

2. thedrummerkid

thedrummerkid Sweater Bandit

Theoretically, yes you could open your projects on a mac. Your plugins would all have to be mac as well though.

I'm assuming you download a majority of plugins as well, so sadly those have a chance of not including the mac installers.

3. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

The downloading comment might get you a couple days off, I'd pull that. ;)

You need Mac everything. If it's an .iso or a disc, usually if a Mac version exists it will be there. The projects should open just fine, but your plugins might be "broken." There is no easy way--this will be a long and frustrating process. But it was worth it for me. That and I have both Windows 7 AND OSX on my MBP, Windows 7 running brilliantly.

4. Their Savior

Their Savior .

PC 4 LYFE U FUKED UP BRO...

Chances are you can't get all the plug-ins you had on PC onto your Mac.
    The only benefit of having a Mac is it's Logic compatible, in my opinion.
    I'd sell it for more than I bought it for on eBay or Craigslist and buy new parts for my PC, but that's just me.
    If mixing is the only issue just bounce down your music into contiguous .WAV or .AIFF files from your PC and put it on a flash drive.

5. BTFStan

BTFStan BTFStan

thank you guys for your help! I'm glad I still got my PC in the meantime, we'll see how this goes. I mainly just wanted to figure out exactly what you guys told me, so thanks for that.

:yesway:

6. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

Start the search for mac .VST/VSTi versions of your plugins. Search each of them and see if they exist for mac. unless you only use stock plugins though, in which case you should be fine.

7. BTFStan

BTFStan BTFStan

my main plugin set that I use is the T-racks suite and soundtoys plugins and obviously superior 2.0.

let me ask you guys this, I know that maybe sometimes mac versions of plugins will just be slightly different. Say if I got cubase running and got all my plugins and opened up a project just as I would on my pc. Would all my plugins be set to the same settings even though they are mac versions? Would all that info still be held in the cubase project file? If not I guess it's not that much of a biggy, I still have my pc so I can check all my settings and what not.

8. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

MAC 4 LYFE U WIN BRO

:agreed:

But on topic, no idea regarding recording software :lol:. When I made the switch, I had to give up some of my favorite programs. However, you'll find the Mac equivalents to be just as useful, and more stable now that they're running on a stable platform.

If you absolutely NEED a specific piece of Winblows software, pick yourself up VMWare Fusion. It's probably the nicest platform emulation package I've had the chance to try. When I want to edit patches on my GMajor via midi, I load up VMWare, load up my Win2k installation, and go to town :metal:

BTFStan likes this.
  9. BTFStan

BTFStan BTFStan

guys this is excellent info, I am a total mac noob. Keep it coming I appreciate it!!!!!

10. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

usually the plugin will have the ability to open settings, and will have it's own "settings file" formats, so you can just save the settings from the plugins wherever it's possible, and load them up on your mac. As for plugins without settings you can save, those settings are usually handled by the DAW, in the actual project file. If Cubase tells you that "such and such plugin is missing" when you open a project, and offers to let you find it, then you can do that, and it might remember the settings.