So I have a interview

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jacksonslut, Jan 8, 2013.

1. jacksonslut

jacksonslut dennaB

At Qdoba here in Allen Park Michigan. I have a skin condition around my eyes and on my elbows called Psoriasis. I'm really self conscious about when going in for interviews. I feel as if they look at it and make up their mind to not hire me. I never really had a interview at a fast food place. I'm afraid that my skin condition might affect my chance at getting the job. If I don't mess with it around my eyes it is barely noticeable at all. It doesn't get all red until I mess with it. It doesn't flake either. My elbows though have the red patches. But they do not flake. I'm just wanting to know can they not hire me because of this at a fast food place? Is it considered a health issue? Should I just wear a long sleeved shirt to cover my elbows? This just depresses me as I have a baby boy on the way and my girlfriend could use the support due to only 60% pay on maternity leave. Any help would be appreciated. Especially any help from people with the same condition. Thank you.

2. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I would just wear a long sleeved shirt, I personally would wear a dress shirt, to cover it up.

3. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

My only advice is do what you can to appear confident and let whatever happens happen.

If you start thinking too hard that you might not get the job, it will show. I'm a believer that if you think positive, positive things will happen :D

4. jacksonslut

jacksonslut dennaB

Luckily my friend has a dress shirt I can borrow. If I get hired I'll probably continue to wear a long sleeved shirt.

I'm trying! With my guitar being stolen a few months ago and moving around Michigan from house to house I find it hard. But this is my first call back since I been in Michigan so I hope things are looking up which puts me in a good mood!

5. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I think fast food might not be the best idea with a condition like that. All it'd take is one customer complaining to have it become an issue.

why not apply at a warehouse? you'll make way more money than in fast food.

6. jacksonslut

jacksonslut dennaB

I've submitted my resume with a bunch of warehouses in my area. But no one wants to call back it seems and when I call to follow up they tell me they don't do that :/ Qdoba is the first person to actually give me a interview in Michigan in 8 long months. The condition around my eyes isn't large and you can't see it unless you get up really close to my face. I'm just worried about my red patchy elbows. I'm just hoping I'll be able to wear a long sleeved shirt over it until I can go to a doctor. But in the mean time I'm going to keep trying all over!

7. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

^^ It doesn't sound like he's got it too bad - i little flaky elbow skin is nothing freak out about.

Long sleeves, don't touch your face that day. And like someone else said - let whatever happens happen.

My G/F has exema, she hates it - but shes does fine in life. All kinds of folks have issues to overcome. Go for it and good luck on the job

8. jacksonslut

jacksonslut dennaB

Yeah those skin conditions suck. But you learn to live with it and try to ignore it. And thank you!

Well since I made this Direct TV just called for an interview :lol: :)

9. jacksonslut

jacksonslut dennaB

And now another interview at telemarketing place for charities :lol: :D

10. VBCheeseGrater

I did telemarketing a few times. I'd follow up on that direct tv job haha.

But hey telemarketing is a job too, go for it - best case scenario you have your pick of jobs

11. Nonservium

Nonservium ss.org Irregular

Telemarketing for charities might not be too bad, honestly. I actually do talk to those people when they call. Other telemarketers might as well be calling hell cause I turn into the fucking devil on them. Asshats.

12. leechmasterargentina

leechmasterargentina Leandro

What they mentioned before, confidence and sincerity is winner. Other than that, just let it be. Always look into the eye.

I've had bad experiences with job interviews, but my last one, which was for an excellent pay job went really well because of confidence and sincerity.

13. Webmaestro

Webmaestro Ibanez Fanatic

Awesome... and congrats on the 2nd job lead. As someone else alluded to, the best position you can be in is having to CHOOSE which job to take. Interview for both, then decide which you prefer.

Many a great salesperson got their start in telemarketing. Lots of future earning potential in sales.

14. vstealth

vstealth SS.org Regular

Just dont overthink it, its as simple as dressing nicely and being well presented, come up with some good answers to the often asked questions and you should be fine, who cares if you have a skin condition, mostly all employers would rather hire someone intellectual over someone who just has their looks.

Try applying to jobs on craigslist, managers are usually more desperate for somone when they post ads there. I found my last job like that, walked in and was hired on the spot, working a 6 hour shift 1 hour after my interview.

15. VBCheeseGrater

+1000 - Employers just want employees that are going to make their lives easier. I'd take a reliable burn victim over a flaky model any day of the week for most real world jobs.

16. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Telemarketing is pretty great if you have qualified leads and are not cold calling.

17. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

A little off topic but are you sure what you have is psoriasis? I have that, and it's constantly flaking if I don't manage it with coal tar gel, corticosteroid cream, or a UVB lamp. You might have a different condition, like rosacea or icthyosis or keratosis pilaris. Have you ever seen a dermatologist to help you identify the condition and manage your symptoms? Even if you say it doesn't constitute a big issue in your life, clearly it does matter in certain situations, like job searching. If you have a condition that affects your life in any way, and it is treatable, definitely do something about it.

18. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

End the interview with the following question:

"What do you like most about your job?"

Gets them every time. Oh, and I have a relative with the same issue, didn't stop her from getting a nice job at all: be confident.

19. snowblind56

snowblind56 SS.org Regular

I have psoriasis too. Actually mostly on one elbow and my scalp/forehead. Mine is manageable and doesn't flake too much. Years ago I tried many of the topical creams that a doctor would prescribe, but as long as I put a plain hand lotion on it once a day, it doesn't get too flaky. I can't imagine a place not hiring you because of it, especially if you can cover it with long sleeves.

The biggest thing about is that you you/we get self conscious about it. Most people don't really notice it. Also, my experiences are that it gets worse with stress. It sounds like your going through a rough patch, but keep thinking positive and something good will come out of it.