So I bought a VHT UL...

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by KnightBrolaire, May 16, 2019.

1. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I just watched this video thinking “holy duck that is the meanest, most badass sounding preamp EVER!”

Turns out it’s a 5150 preamp clone into a 5150 power section.

2. gunch

gunch chungus

What if... 5150 basic circuit with a low frequency (girth) and high frequency gain (grind) knob?

3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Ribboz, USMarine75, KailM and 2 others like this.
  4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I’ve never had a 5150, but at some point I’m going to have to learn what all the different versions and iterations are, and buy one. It really is “the” metal amp.

Ribboz likes this.
  5. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Similar to having an eq in the loop. I wouldnt add the grind knob idea but that is me haha.

It is. I feel like the varations pre iii are similar, and what people think of. Personally a 6534+ would be my choice, but a ii/+ will do.

Hollowway likes this.
  6. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

Sounds like you'd like the the VH140c ;) Saturation like I've never experienced...but I do clean boost mine otherwise it's not tight enough.

Beheroth likes this.
  7. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Budda beat me to it, but that’s exactly what a 10-band EQ in the loop of a 5150 does, and basically exactly how I use it, in conjunction with some specific b/m/t, resonance and presence settings.

Boost a little at 125hz and you get massive low end that doesn’t mush out (I actually cut some low end beneath that frequency range). Scoop a little 500hz honk, and then boost some 2khz for some evil grind. Everyone that’s ever heard my rig live has experienced involuntary jaw droppage. Even I do.

USMarine75 and Gmork like this.
  8. Robotechnology

Robotechnology SS.org Regular

I love my U-L and it will never go anywhere. I use the onboard EQ for the 3rd channel as I can EASILY dial in a great channel 3 tone. Don’t just try different settings, try different cabs (borrow some if you don’t have a few). Great amp!

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

update: I still don't like this amp, even with a 10 band eq in the loop. I like gobs of gain and saturated tones, which is pretty much the antithesis of this amp. Even maxed out, it just doesn't speak to me the way my other amps do. MI gamma here I come :banana:

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    USMarine75, Bearitone, budda and 3 others like this.
  10. Hollowway

Well, you get my respect for being true to your own opinion. A lot of people buy what’s popular, and just deal with it because they think they’re supposed to like it. You can kind of see that when someone says they don’t like the Fortin 33. The Army immediately takes them down.

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

Yeah, I'd rather pass it on to someone that actually wants it instead of hoarding it like a weirdo.
    fortin's fanbase is exactly why I left the fortin fan group. They're fucking rabid idiots, and the kiesel/strandberg fan groups are nearly as bad any more.

StevenC and Hollowway like this.
  12. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Fan groups in general can be bad. They generally exist because they arent inclusive.

Both you and the future owner will be glad you sold it.

Hollowway likes this.
  13. Hollowway

I have a UL - the tone works for me - and I recently got a 33 from Nick Rubin. If you hate the UL you’d REALLY hate it with the 33! It doesn’t really work in such a thin amp. But, someone said there cool for bass, so I’m going to try it with my Quake and NG2, which are tuned to C# and F#, respectively. It seems counterintuitive, but who knows - maybe it’ll sound cool.

14. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I’m so stoked to hear a review and/or clips of the MI Gamma

USMarine75 and Gmork like this.
  15. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Sell it. Buy something else. The lack of saturation, and sterile, flat direct tone weren't for me either. Get the MI Audio (love his pedals), Engl or another Mesa.

16. LeftOurEyes

LeftOurEyes SS.org Regular

I like Fortin's stuff but I can't stand his fanboys. I saw this on a post about the 33 on instagram when someone was asking what the pedal does and couldn't stop laughing

"a boost. So it conditions your already driven tone. Basically turns your tube head into a fractal or kemper haha"

The 33 turns their amp into a fractal lol! The fanboys don't even know what his stuff does, but have to have it and defend it tooth and nail. I can't even read the comments without feeling embarrassed for them.

17. Talmaci

Talmaci SS.org Regular

UL is GENIOUS amp. I'm always smiling when turn it on.
    I noticed that a lot of players don't like it because it is hard to play into VHTs and the main idea of UL's "tight sound ideology" is to sound SUPER-CLEAR into mix.
    It is tight but you didn't loose you low-mids.

18. Talmaci

Talmaci SS.org Regular

If you think, that UL sounds bad, you should think about your understanding of guitar sound.

I also like Uberschall for its' saturation is it completely different amp, but going from UL to Rectifier it's bad idea. The most overrated amp. Better choose Framus Cobra.
    Don't sell it, buy one more amp like 5150 for saturated tones.

19. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

I assume you've heard these right?

Michael Ibrahim is a genius and a good guy to work with. He was really responsive to any questions. Splawn, KSR, and MI Audio are by far the best "small" amp companies I've personally dealt with and will continue to buy from. (Gerald Weber of Kendrick and Nik from Ceriatone are also great if you want low/mid gain stuff)

Tone is subjective. Ultralead type tones aren't for everyone. Some people like saturation and not dry. Some people like compressed and some like more open.

There's no right amp. So many different basic types of tone... Marshall, Fender, 5150, Diezel/Fryette/KSR, Mesa, etc... nevermind all of the different subtypes (Bogner, Soldano, etc).

BTW I had a Framus Dragon and it was awesome.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  20. gunch

gunch chungus

This video still haunts my dreams