So I bought a VHT UL...

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by KnightBrolaire, May 16, 2019.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

and I'm kind of in a love/hate relationship with it right now.
    +The cleans are pretty good, but not as good as my f100.
    +There's a cool growly midrange to the amp that I enjoy, plus it pairs well with the afwayu's voicing.
    + Once I finally got a decent rhythm tone dialed in it did sound pretty good
    +cleans up really well and excels at midgain tones

- I have to nearly max the gain on the orange channel to get tones I actually like
    -Boost button on the orange channel adds a lot of hair but fizzes out the tone overall
    -Red channel is stupid thiccc sounding, but not in a good way imo. It sounds bad to me.
    -just doesn't have enough gain/saturation for my taste
    - there is metric fucktons of low end on tap with this amp, which I really don't enjoy tbh.

I've gotten some decent tones out of the UL, but it's just not my kind of amp. I vastly prefer more saturated tones like my other amps offer. I guess it's my own stupid fault for thinking that I'd want a drier tone. Every time I've experimented with dry tones I've basically hated them (especially when I had an aftermath bridge pickup). I think I'm going to dump the UL for something more saturated like a triple recto or a xxx or maybe an MI gamma.
    some clips of the UL:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/72lpdbtncu2ebwb/vhtclips.zip/file

Strobe likes this.
  2. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Huh. Are you boosting with something?

3. KnightBrolaire

nah, I don't really like using pedals. I really like the simplicity of going straight into an amp.

MASS DEFECT likes this.
  4. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Fair enough, but I always boost into the Ultra Lead. It just fills it in perfectly. I mean, I boost pretty much everything, but if I run my Engl SE or JP2C without a boost, it's a very small difference, and one I could probably make up by choosing a hotter pickup. But with the UL I really need it.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Stick with it.

These amps are something else. They're dry, boomy and fizzy in ways that regular explanations of sound don't capture.

Give it a month or two. Play with it in the mix and with other amps.

6. KnightBrolaire

I guess I could try boosting it with my modded MT2, but I just don't think the amp is a good fit for me. I really prefer amps that can stand on their own soundwise without boosts/extra stuff.
    :shrug: I mean I've had the thing for over a month and I'm still lukewarm on it, plus my 100p can cop the dry/tight vibe of the UL pretty well. I absolutely hate the massive low end on the UL tbh.. I knew it was going to have a massive low end but jesus it's even boomier than I remember my triple recto being. I have to basically cut all the low end/depth to get a sound that I'm actually happy with.

Strobe likes this.
  7. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

If you get the MI Gamma sell me your Delta pedal lol

Gmork and USMarine75 like this.
  8. KnightBrolaire

I already sold the delta pedal on reverb dude.

9. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

I understand not jiving with an amp and wanting to move it on. When I got my ecstacy I hated it for a solid six months before I really got the hang of it and started enjoying the sounds out of it. Now it's the amp that I play the most by far and it's not even close, probably 90% of my playing time is on my ecstacy. This isn't to say that you'll hit some sort of revelation with the ultralead, but I agree that sometimes it takes a while for an amp to grow on you and can see it for what it is.

10. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

As an addendum to that, I've had my vh4s for like four years and I still don't like it. Maybe someday

11. KnightBrolaire

I mean I hated my F100 with a passion for a few weeks since it was such a pain in the ass to dial in, but it ended up growing on me and now I really like it. The UL was way easier to dial in compared to either my mk3 or f100, but it's also not as fun for me to play. It makes me work for every note and I fucking hate that tbh. I know if I hang on to it it'll just collect dust since my other amps are way more fun to use.
    I almost bought a VH2 instead of this amp. In hindsight I think I would have enjoyed the VH2 a lot more.

12. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

It may not be for you, but I’d also say stick with it a little longer. It is a different sounding amp, and doesn’t give the wall of sound, king of chugs sound other metal amps give. Because of that, it really sounds kind of thin and boring playing just by yourself. When I play just by myself (100% of the time these days :lol:) I’ll often scoop the kids just so it’s actually fun to play. But I still like Mesas for stand alone jamming. (Though, I hate them in a band mix!)

Oddly, I literally just finished playing through my UL with a 33 pedal I just picked up. I wasn’t a fan. For me, boosting Fryettes has never been a success, because it makes it waaaay too thin sounding.

Have you tried a D120? I never have, but a lot of people like that better than the UL for the reasons you’re saying.

The906 likes this.
  13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Surprising that you don’t think the ul has enough gain.

But if you don’t like dry you don’t like dry.

I’d run aftermaths into the ul and dry to make it even drier.

14. KnightBrolaire

You're a monster, that's like the antithesis of the kind of sound I want.

Emperoff and Hollowway like this.
  15. KnightBrolaire

The wall of sound/king of chugs vibe is exactly what I like :lol:
    the last time I jammed with someone I ended up just bringing over my mesa F30 since it's easy to transport/still keeps up with a drummer fine.
    The UL is a cool sounding amp, I just vastly prefer the sound of my other amps, and this one would end up rarely if ever getting used.
    Isn't the D120 based off the red channel?

Hollowway likes this.
  16. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

If I recall, yours doesn't have the graphic EQ correct? In my experience, the GEQ can make a HUGE difference on these amps. The UL I had awhile back with the EQ was the most crushing, articulate, in your face wall of sound I've ever experienced and I've had my fair share of amps now. I would suggest if you haven't already to try an EQ in the loop and tame the low end a bit. That can make or break these amps imo. Good luck.

17. KnightBrolaire

I'll give it a shot. I've got a 10 band eq I can slap in the loop.

Apex1rg7x likes this.
  18. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Where’s your channel volume set? I find that right about 3-3:30 is the sweet spot for saturated tones. Under that is pretty dry regardless of gain setting, and over that starts to sound funky to me. I also shape my tone with a lot of mids that I scoop back out with the GEQ so that alters the sound too.

Maybe I’m in the minority; but my UL gets plenty saturated, but it’s very uncompressed. If I dig into the string all the rich harmonic content blooms to life, if I pick softly the more really cleans up. The lack of compression makes it an amp that requires attention while playing for me, not so much a lack of saturation.

I’d at least play around with the 10 band in the loop. I’m not a huge fan of the note smear that happens when I boost the amp. It gets that super djenty cocked wah frequency baked into my palm mutes. I really like a subtle EQing with my HM2 (ie not even close to “Swedish” settings) in front though. Again though GEQ plays a big role here in keeping the low end in check. It’s always tight, but I’m convinced I could shatter windows with the bass on both amp and HM2 cranked :lol:

Apex1rg7x likes this.
  19. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

D120 isn't like the Pitbulls at all, at least from the one PitBull that I played (50CL, which may be very different from the Ultra Lead). The D120 is very fat sounding and more saturated to me.

Wall of sound/king of chugs: you might like the VH2 a lot. I've had a few VH4s and the third channel is pretty cool. Very strange feeling (it kinda fights you; not sure how to describe it), but huge low end and it definitely wants to be saturated with gain. And while there's massive low end (sounds like Godzilla stomping around), it's like there's an aggressive high pass filter on the amp, keeping it quick and tight. Again, it's a bit strange and I think the "narrowness" of that high pass feeling bothered me eventually, but it's definitely an interesting amp.

I've kinda been wanting another one after all these years...

StevenC likes this.
  20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Alternatively the Lil Fokker sounds a lot like VH4 channel 3, but without the fighting you thing to an extent. Still an amp that you can't hide behind, but to a lesser extent than channel 3.