So I blind tested BIAS FX vs my Axe FX Standard

Dores

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I just recently purchased BIAS FX to see if it was an alternative to my good old Axe FX Standard. After playing around with it a bit, I made this blind test. I would be interesting to see what you guys think about it.

This blind test of course has several natural inconsistencies: nothing has been reamped, the Axe and BIAS use different impulse responses, and I haven't owned BIAS for nearly as long as the Axe. Anyways, I think it paints a good picture on what I'm able to do with the Axe and the BIAS. Both have been post processed with EQ to make them fit the mix as good as possible. This is basically an "in the mix" comparison.

For my fellow nerds, I used my Ibanez RG7620 w/ BK Aftermath in the bridge. Both amp sims are simulating the 5150.

Masoo2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
B sounds exactly like that one video Stevie T did on BIAS vs Axe FX, absolutely horrendous tone imo.

A sounded great. Clear, well defined, etc...

A: Axe FX

B: BIAS

Dores

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
B sounds exactly like that one video Stevie T did on BIAS vs Axe FX, absolutely horrendous tone imo.

A sounded great. Clear, well defined, etc...

A: Axe FX

B: BIAS

While I won't release the results just yet, I totally agree that Stevie T showcased some horrible sounds on the BIAS. I totally suspect that Positive Grid has been doing some aggressive marketing towards the bigger Youtubers. That whole video just seemed like a strange parody...

vick1000

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
While I won't release the results just yet, I totally agree that Stevie T showcased some horrible sounds on the BIAS. I totally suspect that Positive Grid has been doing some aggressive marketing towards the bigger Youtubers. That whole video just seemed like a strange parody...

You just described every video he's ever made. The dudes existance is a parody.

Jaxcharvel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You just described every video he's ever made. The dudes existance is a parody.
I will say that the dude always has really bad tone, and every time he talks or looks at the camera I want to napalm his house, but he's a pretty damn good guitarist.

vick1000

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I will say that the dude always has really bad tone, and every time he talks or looks at the camera I want to napalm his house, but he's a pretty damn good guitarist.

I think he's comical as hell, in a silly way, like those Naked Gun movies :D

Elric

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's kind of nice having both, so I don't have to watch other people do stuff like this. I can fire either up and knock them around and decide what I do and don't like interactively. Based on personal experience it is pretty decisive as to which one consistently sounds and feels better but both have their uses; sometimes a plugin is more convenient and other times hardware is more convenient. YMMV.

Hachetjoel

Ibanez whore
Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to say a is the axe fx, and if b is the axe fx its because you intentionally made it sound as bad as possible to trick us.