So.. Halo guitars?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by EdibleVypyr, Oct 14, 2013.

1. EdibleVypyr

EdibleVypyr Deviant Devil

Hey all.
    I've been researching custom guitars for a while and I've come across Halo guitars, sad thing is they have a lot of bad reviews but those posts were back in like.. 06-09? so does anyone know if they've improved their quality since or has anyone bought one recently and if so can you tell me your honest opinion on one?
    Cheers guys :hbang:

2. jeleopard

jeleopard SS.org Regular

This again?

Well, they have been trying to improve, but people have been wary to buy them.

A few new ones are on here, and people seem to like them, but not everyone is convinced...

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I have reason to doubt the validity of this claim. :lol:

4. jeleopard

jeleopard SS.org Regular

Some people might consider 30 minutes a while, I suppose.

5. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

To clarify to OP, Halo Guitars has a history of creating RIDICULOUSLY BAD PRODUCTS in the past. They have since, however, had a replacement of crew and owners and stuff, and have thrown out the weak links in the company. Or so their new ownership has said. They've publicly confirmed all the problems they had, and have said that they fixed it, so... Hopefully they grow from there.

There are still design issues with some of their guitars, little features and stuff that need to be refined, but quality-wise I hear it's picked up a lot.

6. shawnperolis

shawnperolis 7 String Indie Game Dev

Guess you'll just have to buy one and find out.

7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

When I search "Custom 7 string guitar" the top 10 builder results are:
    Strictly 7
    Mayones
    Acacia
    Warmoth
    Ran
    PRS
    Cilla
    Halo
    Daemoness
    Conklin

Some huge jumps in price(and quality!) on this list so I can see why Halo would be a tempting option.

8. 3074326

3074326 Local Astronaut

I played two Halo guitars last week and thought they felt really good. First time I had played one.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion RooR

I have a halo. Happy to answer specifics through pm's.

10. shawnperolis

shawnperolis 7 String Indie Game Dev

It might benefit everyone if you answered them publicly. :idea:

11. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

Given that you can order up to 10 strings, with several scale lengths, and can be spec'ed nicely I would like them to be good. I have not seen very many NGD's and I think it is a bit of you first attitude along with past memories.

Why don't you buy one and report back,

12. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

With pictures, video, and sound.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion RooR

To be fair, my guitar is a much older model, 04(or 05, i cant remember) bh7, so as their current lineup goes, my knowledge might be not so useful. I can provide pics later today if it would please you; sound/video when my comp is fixed.

That being said, use the search on the forum, or even google it. My guitar is one of the few tolerable ones from that time period. There were quite a few people on here that were burned by them, getting unplayable/unsellable instruments and the shenanigans involved in returning it... if that was even possible.

Specs:
    seven string
    alder body
    through neck 5 piece maple 25.5
    stainless steel jumbo frets
    floyd rose licensed trem
    rosewood fret board
    sharkfin inlays
    1 vol 1 tone
    2x humbuckers

or so i was told by waylon...

I cant remember the year, but i know i got it for christmas... i was about 14/15 at the time. it came with a coffin case.

I am not unhappy with the guitar, but, not entirely excited either. There exist flaws... quite a few in fact, but its playability is good. The floyd isnt the worst or best, one of the locking heads on the nut is so tight i have to pry it out to tune or change strings, the stock pups were terrible(halos pups), sharp frets, the finish is nice, but there are some spots of black in the clear, one dead note, rough, not cleaned/finished cavities, and an input jack that is half broken but glued in so it may never be removed(obviously the person building it dropped the ball here). other people find the horn shape weird/uncomfortable... i have no issue with this. Good notes: action is good with minimal buzz, great tone with the new pickups(sd's), and the black transparent with the grain showing through is sexy. keeps tune well, and intonation is steady.

The original customer service/relations were laced with broken promises/fools gold/bullshittery, but the new management seems cool and trying to resolve past issues. imma leave those at that.

14. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

Thanks for the write up! Being a 04 or 05 I guess it just speaks to the brands checkered past. I guess You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Well, one day I hope they can execute and deliver, on paper they are great, they could be a Carvin for the ERG crowd. up to 10 strings, several scale lengths and multi scale, several name brand pickups, and more, but at this point, it has not been proven that all that is not just lipstick on a pig. Their pricing is even a bit higher than Carvin, but from the past Halo guitar reviews I have seen, their quality could likely be matched by my limited wood working skills.

15. EdibleVypyr

EdibleVypyr Deviant Devil

Thanks for all the replies guys! i'm new to this forum but everything here seems so professional. I might go with Halo or inquire with them about their guitar and if everything is spot on and stuff. If everything is a bit meh, I might just go buy a B.C Rich and play around on that.

16. zachyl

zachyl SS.org Regular

I actually think it would benefit halo a lot to give out a guitar or two to members here to review. If people had a little more reassurance that they fixed their quality they could probably become pretty popular.

17. exarchangel

exarchangel Guitarist

I have a Halo Reaper Barione 7 on the way, should be here on friday. IF IT COMES FRIDAY- I'll do a review over the weekend, if not, you'll have to wait till the weekend after, the music program where i'm at can get crazy during the week so I might not have time.

YES- I bought it just to see. Got a good deal ($450), so if it ends up sucking i'll just buy a different 7 and take out the duncan blackouts, and BAM- guitar wallhanger decoration!

The specs are decent though:

Construction Method: Set Neck
    Strings: 7
    Scale Length: 27"
    Body: Solid Alder
    Fingerboard Binding: NA
    Pickups: Seymour Duncan Blackouts
    Body Finish: Transparent Black Gloss
    Headstock Shape: Inline
    Neck Finish: Gloss
    Neck Shape: C
    Neck: 3-Piece Maple
    Fingerboard: Ebony
    Frets: 24 Nickel Silver Extra Jumbo
    Inlays: NA
    Nut: Graphtech Black TUSQ XL

Hardware Color: Black
    Bridge System: TOM
    Control Pattern: 1 Volume, 1 Tone, 3-Way Toggle Switch
    Weight: 8lbs.
    Tuning: B E A D G B E

18. oniduder

oniduder HONKEY DONKEY

so... no there's plenty of other custom makers i'd take prior to risking my money with halo

as mentioned in the above, but yeah for what it's worth i'll state it again

anyways

19. Corrosion

Corrosion RooR

20. Andrew91

Andrew91 42