So, Fallout 4...

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by SkapocalypseNow, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

In other words, he acts just like a real dog. :lol::lol::lol:

2. ferret

ferret Not worthy

Within a settlement, all of the stations are linked. In order to link two settlements, you need rank 2 of the level 6 charisma part Community Leader. Then you can store everything in Sanctuary, but use it in any linked settlement.

3. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Penny Arcade had a pretty funny/accurate explanation for Bethesda's lack of explanations:

[​IMG]

Also, I would love a mod that tells you where your companions are on the map.

4. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

As an avid Dark Souls fan, I've become accustom to and welcome being dropped off and having to figure everything out.

5. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

Yeah, bless his heart he's not a good companion for a sneaky sneakster.

Too many times I've looked around saying "WTF Dogmeat where are you?" Only to find him whimpering and downed in the middle of a bunch of raiders or ghouls.

6. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

More accurately, within a settlement all items are available from all stations - if I deposit a gun into my Weapons Bench I can withdraw it from my Workbench.

With Rank 2 of that perk (Local Leader I think) resources are shared between connected settlements - if I deposit a roll of Duct Tape in Sanctuary, I can use the adhesive from it at Red Rocket, but I can't withdraw the Duct Tape there - and if I deposit a gun in Sanctuary I can't withdraw it from Red Rocket either.

That's hinged on you creating a Supply Line, though - that involves you approaching a Settler at one Settlement while in build mode and pressing Q (which will be lit up at the bottom of the screen if available). You can then select where you want the Supply Line destination to be. All Supply Lines within the network can draw on each others' resources (ie. if you connect A to B, and then B to C, A and C are considered connected - but if you connect A to B and C to D, D cannot see A unless you connect A or B to C or D as well).

You are 100% correct that Bethesda did a SHIT job explaining anything.

7. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

I found everything to be pretty self explanatory... I mean, everything except finding companions. They really need to fix that. Weapon mods, armor mods, settlement construction, junk, trade routes, etc, etc, were all done without a second thought.

On an unrelated note, I have absolutely lost interest in Piper the moment I found Curie. (On my xbox save anyway... The monogamist in me prevents me from dropping her like a bad habit on my PC save.) I love me some french accents, and she's just charming in the stupidest possible way. She's also a ....ing oddball, and will randomly switch weapons. She'll go from laser rifle to fists to minigun to pool cue with no real rhyme or reason. They're weapons I never gave her either... She'll pick the damn things up, spam her ammo, and then move on. If she were a real person, I'd have totally put a ring on it.

Edit: instead of double posting, I'm just gonna edit this one. I forgot that I managed a suit of X01 armor, painted it pink, gave it purple eyes, and a jetpack. It's ten kinds of fun stomping around in that stupid thing.

8. Grand Moff Tim

Stupid settlers complaining about the "bed situation." Suddenly a bunch of dirty mattresses carelessly thrown on the ground outside aren't good enough for wasteland farmers.

Fine. I'll put some actual beds inside of an actual building.

Dicks.

9. Grand Moff Tim

I made a bomb-as-fuck settlement last night, and I wouldn't have been able to do it without you fine fellows.

I came across Hangman's Alley on my way to Diamond City (with yet another new build, lol), and remembered seeing you guys discuss how it's a cool place for a settlement if you build vertically, so that's what I did. I added to new floors to that shiz.

The ground level is where I put all the crops (fuck photosynthesis!) and crafting stations, plus a doghouse for good ol' Dogmeat.

The second floor is where I put the bar, the entertainment corner (TV & sofa), dining area, jukebox, bobblehead stand, and pool table out on the patio. I actually bothered to add wall decorations this time, which was a first for me.

The third floor is where I put all the beds, and... that's pretty much it. Nothing on the walls but some light fixtures. Maybe I'll add some night stands and a throw rug or two today, I don't know.

The thing about Hangman's Alley that allowed me to be a bit more creative, I think, is its "natural" surroundings. Usually when I've made settlements in the past, the first thing I've tried to do is make a huge wall all around it, with missile launchers guarding it all along the way. That looks cool and keeps baddies out, but it takes up a lot of the size meter. With Hangman's Alley, it already has huge buildings surrounding it, with only three small access points, two of which are already walled off with doors. It was a small matter of putting one small wall at the alley access point, then sticking some missile launchers in the three choke points, and I was done with defense. That left loads of size meter room for building vertically.

No pictures, though, because honestly, it doesn't look particularly interesting :lol:. It's just a bunch of planks in an alley, with some corn, chairs, and beds thrown in for good measure.

10. Grand Moff Tim

Oh, and the new build is an idea I had to see how well I could do using only raider armor and pipe weapons.

11. Grand Moff Tim

Probably old news to you guys, but just for sh!ts and giggles, I decided to see how high I could build before being told I've left the workshop area, sans mods.

Five floors. :lol:

I'm sloooowly getting the hang of this building thing, so I actually made a five story building with all the requisite stairs, foors, walls, and roofs, rather than just randomly stacking. It's... more fun than I expected it to be :lol:. This is all with TGM activated, though. I don't know how anyone playing this on consoles can have very much fun building stuff.

Now that I'm starting to understand it more, I'm tempted to pack up one of my builds to another, more wide-open location, so I can build a huge-ass building. I'm thinking maybe the drive-in, since there's a large open lot there with plenty of room for something large...

12. leftyguitarjoe

The island off the coast from the castle is the largest settlement area. Its where I built my stupid-huge area 51 complex

13. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Downloaded the True Storms mod last night and holy sh*t, guys, I'm really impressed. If not just for how great it all looks and sounds, than purely for the fact that it doesn't rain underneath roofs anymore holy sh*t what is this witchcraft!? That always ruined my immersion in Skyrim and any game, really, but damn if I'm not impressed with it.

True Storms - Wasteland Edition (Thunder-Rain-Weather Redone) at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community

I did run into a snag, though, where the sound got completely screwed up and was lagging/not working/static rain drops. It worked fine after I closed the game and opened it up again, nothing corrupted in the save.

Highly recommend the mod.

14. JPhoenix19

Anyone else hodge-podge random-looking legendary armor pieces together for their SPECIAL bonuses?

My dude straight looks retarded when I dress for max specs. :lol:

15. Grand Moff Tim

Constantly. I will give the edge to a slightly sh!ttier legendary if it matches my set, though, unless the mis-matched one has a crazy awesome bonus.

I do have one character who only wears raider armor, though, so he's SOL if he finds a legendary piece of armor that isn't raider. Same goes for non-pipe weapons.

16. TGOD

TGOD The Wiz

I've been grinding one build like a madman (got the game two weeks ago). I'm level 78, have full EVERYTHING (in SPECIAL) aside from Charisma (missing two), full sneak, full lockpicking, full science, full gun nut, full ninja, full hacking, full lone wanderer, full gunslinger, full aquaboy, full rifleman, and full strong back, and my main is a f*cking stealth powerhouse with a pistol.

Just this morning I ran into a random Behemoth out in the middle (North) of the commonwealth, and literally one-shot him with a 10mm pistol.

I'm glad I chose to go for the console version instead of PC, I'd have definitely at least used SOME console commands by now to make things easier.

I don't even bother with companions, especially with the maxed out Lone Wanderer perk. They don't do anything but get in my way and spoil stealth altogether.

17. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

I'm going to be able to put more time into this very soon. The rest of the components for my new PC build come in today, besides my SSD, which is somewhere out there. ....ing USPS. :rant::realmad:

This rig is going to run Fallout 4 on ultra with ease. I mean, it better; I spec'd it out around Fallout 4. :lol:

18. leftyguitarjoe

Guys, theres a mod that lets you put any weapon part on any weapon. Some stuff doesnt quite work, but you can get some cool combos.

[​IMG]

19. JPhoenix19

Anyone else think it's really really ironic
    to tell Curie to get into power armor? I feel like she should make a comment about having a metal body again.

20. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

How are you guys handling food (and water) between settlements? Three of my settlements have crops that can sustain the population without supply lines, I have the robot farm settlement under the overpass (super cool), and everything is linked by supply lines but people still complain about food being hard to come by :lol:

I really just want 2 massive farming settlements to try to keep most of my population free so they can buy stuff from my stores.

EDIT: Is it possible to store items in your workbench and build them elsewhere?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015