So, Fallout 4...

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by SkapocalypseNow, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Cloudy

Cloudy Pacific Wood Lab

.38 rounds are free caps guys, remember that ;)

Ive been using the .308 hunting rifle and the deliverer a lot. Occasionally Ill whip out the ashmaker though and make good use of the power armor.

2. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

I can't believe I didn't think of that.

3. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

I only have about 24 hours logged in the ten days that the game has been released (even though Steam says that it is closer to 50-60 hours, I share my steam account with my little sister), I'm having to work around my work schedule and my sister's play time.

I ....ing love this game, though.

Piper is currently my companion, but I had Preston for a long time. The only reason I have a companion is to carry my .... for me, because the new crafting and building mechanics in the game are really bad for my hoarding problem in Bethesda games. :lol:

4. Grand Moff Tim

I kinda got to a spot intersecting between the main story and the Railroad story where I can't really go on without going against the morals I've been sticking to with my first build, so I've put it aside for now. I'm sure I'll come back to it later, but I started a new one.

This time I'm going with a sarcastic melee & thrown explosives build, with nearly all my SPECIAL points pumped into Strength and Endurance. I'm even using my first several level up perk points to take Strength and Endurance up to 10 before I start getting other gameplay-related perks, apart from the level one melee and armor smithing perks I picked up.

You guys talking about wanting more of a challenge, holy sh!t, try going melee. It seems overpowered at first when you're just taking on one or two low level guys, but as soon as you're surrounded or facing an enemy that's across the room from you and shooting the entire time you're trying to close the gap, it's a whole new ballgame.

I'm trying to be stubborn and not use any guns ever, which has only really been problematic in two situations so far:

1) Turrets that are out of reach. With my other build I'd just peek from around a corner and take pot shots until it's done, but now I have to step out into the open and try to nail it with a grenade. Really has me missing the ability to use VATS for thrown explosives like you can in FO3 and FONV. Is there a way to do it in FO4 that I'm somehow missing? And...

2) The deathclaw fight in Concord. I knew the deathclaw was coming this time, and I had three weapons to choose from: Tire iron, pool cue, or minigun. I felt comfortable breaking character and choosing the minigun in that situation, because I wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea of trying to take out a deathclaw with a pool cue. :lol:

For followers this time I think I'll stick with Dogmeat. I just found out today that my family dog back in the US has died, so I guess I'm sorta adopting Dogmeat to fill the void, in a sad sort of way. I intend to bring absolute hell down on any baddie that tries to fuck with my doggie. I couldn't be there for my real life pup in her last moments, so I might as well try to defend a virtual dog.

5. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I'm hoping a mod comes up soon for thrown explosives in VATS, if not then request it on the Nexus forums I guess. :lol:

I'm waiting for the (I hope) inevitable Random Alternate Start mod before I start my next build.

6. Grand Moff Tim

It's officially impossible to kill everything in the game with only melee, even if you have the endurance to soak up bullets. Melee attacks can't reach the ceiling-mounted mini-turrets some indoor areas have. That makes it even more frustrating that I can't target with grenades in VATS, since I pretty much have to throw the grenade and hope it lands near enough to it on the ground and that the explosion's radius will be large enough to reach the ceiling. There are usually computers for deactivating turrets sitting around somewhere, but my Intelligence is a 3 or some sh!t, and I don't intend to put any points into hacking perks.

Thanks, Obama.

7. Grand Moff Tim

...so on that note, I might just carry a heavy weapon of some sort around, just for situations where melee isn't feasible. I figure that's still in keeping with the build's general concept, since having a high Strength is directly linked to wielding big guns well. It'll be more authentic yet if I the big gun I opt for is a missile launcher, since that's similar enough to explosives.

I actually did use a big gun in a mission I just did.

I was going after Kellog, but since I already did that mission with my first build, I knew that as soon as I was done talking to him, he and his room full of synths would attack me. Given how hairy some fights had gotten while fighting my way towards him when I was facing off against several synths in an enclosed area with just a modded baseball bat, I figure I'd better think of an alternate strategy for taking Kellog out.

Turns out that on your way to the room he's in, you can find a fatman and a mininuke in a small side room. I decided I wasn't going to give him the chance to attack me, so I grabbed that ...., and when I entered the final room, I targeted him with VATS as soon as he came out from behind the computers. He wasn't even marked as hostile yet, since I didn't even bother talking to him, but I didn't care.

That one mininuke actually took out him and every synth in the room with him, which was nice. Certainly went much more smoothly than it'd have gone had I tried with with just a bat, haha.

8. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

88 hours in and it finally happened!!

[​IMG]

9. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

First time that happened, I thought someone launched a missle and missed me. I was in building rubble and I heard like a missle hiss followed by an off distance explosion. Not an uncommon sound when super mutants are around. I got killed and upon loading my save and walking back to where I died, I saw the damn thing. It was fun trying to find out what the hell it was, and where it was.

10. Grand Moff Tim

I saw it streaking through the sky and crashing, but I never could find the actual crash site.

11. Grand Moff Tim

Okay, I've got this guy's load-out sorted. At all times, he's going to carry one melee weapon of each speed type (fast, medium, slow), and a missile launcher. He'll also carry an assortment of thrown explosives, of course.

I've been modifying and renaming his main weapons this evening:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Playing melee is challenging but hilarious. I've found myself using chems more than I would with other build types, by which I mean I've found my self using chems at all. I never used them at all with my first build, unless you count rad-away and stimpacks. My melee guy's already gotten himself addicted to psycho :lol:. Nothing a visit to the doctor and 75 caps couldn't cure.

My strategy so far when approaching difficult fights seems to be to pop some med-x, shoot up some psycho, lob some explosives in the general direction of the enemies, then charge in swingin'. Occasionally I'll add some booze or buffout to the equation. Sometimes Dogmeat helps me out by dragging baddies around by their arms to keep them off of me while I pummel their friends, which is nice of him. He's totally earned his red bandana and welding goggles.

Good times, all things considered.

12. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

^^^ Talibanhammer :lol:

13. leftyguitarjoe

Its to the north of Vault 81

And Tim, I pray that your bat Rizzo is a Billy Madison reference :lol:

[​IMG]

14. Jake

Jake GAS Master

Tim you should look into getting Kremvhs Tooth! I'm running a melee build right now and I think mine is currently doing 106 damage plus bleed and poison damage, just about to get the perk that doubles melee damage as well so it's just insane how quickly a knife can kill deathclaws (1 hit) and behemoths (3-4 hits)

Its's incredlbly OP with the right perks etc.. :lol:

15. leftyguitarjoe

So I tricked out Hangman's Alley today. I used to dismiss it because of how cramped it is, but today I looked up and was like "UP! EUREKA!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Cloudy

Cloudy Pacific Wood Lab

This is genius! the second settelement I made after Sanctuary was Hangmans Alley because of its centralized location, but I swapped out for The Castle/Spectacle Island when I realized how damn cramped it was with 10+ settlers. I should have done this.

17. leftyguitarjoe

The castle definitely takes the cake.

18. Cloudy

Cloudy Pacific Wood Lab

[​IMG]

That it does, I love the castle but I find its a bit restricting inside the walls, NPCs bump into my structures all the time. I just started working on my Spectacle island settlement and Im enjoying the extra space.

19. leftyguitarjoe

I used the foundations to rebuild the walls.

[​IMG]

20. Grand Moff Tim

Nah, it's a Chicago Cubs reference. :lol:

Is the crash site always in the same place? I was under the impression that there are multiple places where it might crash, depending on where you are when the random encounter spawns.