So, apparently the Ibanez J-Line is a thing

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by LordHar, Oct 23, 2020.

1. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I love the look of that. As much as some folks may criticise the lack of fruity colours on this. It’s a guitar for metal... it’s supposed to be black ;)

And yeah Fujigen Gakki make guitars for Hoshino but they also make dashboards for Lexus...

2. Metal Mortician

Metal Mortician Ninja Lurker

Love the square heel with modern neck appointments. I actually see this and the Genesis series as upgrades to their predecessors.

While we’re dreaming, let’s do a Genesis RG565 in original colors and give the public access to LACS! Yeah, not holding my breath on either.

aesthyrian and possumkiller like this.
  3. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Oh goody...another Ibanez....that looks the same as all their others....joy....

odibrom and josh1 like this.
  4. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Damn this is a 10 for me.

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  5. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

To be fair, there are significant exemples of companies screwing up big time on pretty self explanatory subjects where you'd think they wouldn't even need outside firms and counselors. To take only a famous one, "New Coke".
    The company I left a year ago is piling mistakes and I can tell from having been inside that the execs have been told about it beforehand and just didn't listen.

You shouldn't assume that a company however big will always make the right choice, especially since making a mistake can have positive returns immediately and VERY negative returns a few years down the line... when the decision maker is now working someplace else. The decision was made to be optimal for him, not the company.

That's the reason why I do think that some ideas posted in this kind of threads can actually have more merit than the policy companies follow. (Emphasis on "can")
    Relating to Ibanez, we had been saying for a long time even here that offering brand name pickups would be a good move, long before they did.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

There will always be room for improvement, and they've certainly brought models out that flopped, but it's not like they're just throwing darts at the wall as far as what to offer and what not to offer.

Pickup wise, they have been working with DiMarzio since the early 90's and SD since the late 90's. They were also the first mainstream production company to use BKPs stock.

There was never a time in at least the last 30 years where you couldn't get an Ibanez guitar with name brand made pickups. The issue has usually been it's just not the set that some folks want, especially here where things skew "metal".

If you go on Jemsite or TGP or the old Ibby forum there were tons of people who like the OEM V series pickups, so you can't expect them to eliminate the OEM options if they have a loyal, guitar buying, following.

aesthyrian likes this.
  7. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

I only say to ditch the AZ line because the market is already saturated with HH style shredder strats. Jackson has one, Charvel, Schecter... the AZ line from Ibanez, in my opinion, undermines the RG line and creates unnecessary competition within the Ibanez product line-up itself. Sure, it might be popular, but it's just not needed to differentiate Ibanez from any other manufacturer. The RGs already did that.

8. TrevorT

TrevorT SS.org Regular

Am I the only one kinda bummed out that these have the tilt neck joint instead of AANJ? I feel the same way about the Genesis series (although I get that those are reissues so it makes sense). Other than that I think this J-line RG looks great.

odibrom and trem licking like this.
  9. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

not the only one... block heels need to go away hehehehe

TrevorT likes this.
  10. runbirdman

runbirdman Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy Contributor

I find the difference between the OSNJ and the AANJ negligible. I actually prefer my Genesis over my Prestige. The OSNJ is nowhere near as obstructive as the Charvel/Fender block and much more in line with my EBMM Cutlass as far as restricting access. I personally wouldn’t let either neck joint sway me one way or another when purchasing an Ibanez; however, the new Talman with a full on block is a no go for me.

Boojakki and xzacx like this.
  11. Robotechnology

Robotechnology SS.org Regular

The heel is similar to this (probably a little more sculpted in fact). That’s not what I consider a block heel.

[​IMG]

Real block heels really do suck though.

12. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 SS.org Regular

I really want an 8 in this line

13. TrevorT

TrevorT SS.org Regular

I have an RG770DX 2008 reissue (see my profile pic) that I absolutely love except for the tilt neck joint. The difference between it and my AANJ guitars is pretty noticeable when I'm playing on the higher frets. I guess it just depends on the player.

trem licking likes this.
  14. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

I got it, Ibanez can do a Modern Classics production line. All the old faves but with AANJ and maybe some super expensive niche pickups to piss everyone off.

15. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

Agreed. ANY block heel I've played is more obstructing than the AANJ. No reason to have one unless you just like copying an old design just to copy one

16. MaxOfMetal

RE: Tilt Joint

It's so they can use the current Genesis bodies and necks. That's it.

Remember, the whole concept of these is quick and cheap for Fujigen to push out.

Masoo2 and aesthyrian like this.
  17. Metal Mortician

Metal Mortician Ninja Lurker

Hopefully, it wouldn't take much to reverse the headstock and make a 565. :mrburns:

I'll stop beating this dead horse now, LOL.

Boojakki likes this.
  18. MaxOfMetal

All hope is not lost, they do already make a lefty tilt joint model. :lol:

19. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

I would love a black (or flat black) RGR565.

Viginez likes this.
  20. BTS

BTS BTS

Like this. Need one with the same specs but a maple fretboard.

jl-austin likes this.