Small Product Lab Competition: Quick Metal Mix Guide

MarmaladeMad

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So it's the last 2 weeks of summer school and I came across Gumroads 'Small Product Lab Competition' which seems to be a much better way of spending time than studying Accounts.
https://gumroad.com/smallproductlab
It basically gives you just 10 days to officialy release a product, narrowed down to a very specific niche, so I decided to take a shot at it with the idea of a tutorial on mixing metal songs. Now lets get one thing straight. Whatever I've learned so far in mixing has all been through this forum, a couple of books and a lot of youtube, so I am clearly no professional on the matter. However, I have kinda reached a point where I can focus more on songwriting and not as much on the production and it is THAT point which I want to help beginners reach. It's day 2 of the competition and I've written the intro and a bit of drum mixing. Since it's supposed to be a very small project, I'm not going to be focusing on the 'hows' or 'whys'. Instead, it's just going to be "Compress this by this much, EQ that by that much" etc. I thought I'd share this ten day journey with you all and since I need all the help I can get, any ideas are welcome!

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'm not going to be focusing on the 'hows' or 'whys'. Instead, it's just going to be "Compress this by this much, EQ that by that much" etc.

I hate to be a downer, but isn't it counter productive to just follow a bunch of preset eq and compressor settings without explaining what those things are or why you're using them? I've heard a lot of advice that basically said that it's much better to do the opposite- avoid presets and try to have a decent understanding of what you're doing. Maybe it would be better to write this as a "metal mix for dummies" with definitions and such that would give you enough knowledge to figure out the rest with time? I'm sure there's enough information here and on other sites, it's just a matter of compiling it all into something that isn't intimidating to a beginner.

MarmaladeMad

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It could be an in-depth guide, but you need to understand that it's a project which I have exactly 10 days for till launch. It's meant to be very small and simple. Going into detail will in no way leave me enough time to do everything else like setting up the website, marketing, etc. Even though I completely agree with you, it's just suppose to be a quick way for people to listen to how their recordings sound in a full and hopefully better mix and then go on from there. That's the target market.
And not a downer at all, I appreciate the feedback :)