Small, Portable, Grab and Go Metal Amp Recommendations

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by malmsteenbutdrunker, Jan 14, 2021.

1. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

Back to the Katana. Go for the 100w head and separate 1x12.

That way you have the internal 5” speaker for practicing at low volumes and more control over what speaker you use for stage.

2. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I was thinking Katana also when I saw this thread, but I know that has been discussed.

What about a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo? They are closed back, so they are gonna have more low end chunk for that reason.

3. Jambavan

Jambavan SS.org Regular

BluGuitar Amp1 Iridium and a cabinet of your chosen flavor.

4. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

Personally, there's no way I'm lugging a tube combo for performing.

You've already got an HX Stomp, why not an FRFR speaker and that?

Otherwise I'd say the Bluguitar and a 112, or an SD Powerstage and 112 paired with the Stomp.

Themistocles and Bentaycanada like this.
  5. malmsteenbutdrunker

malmsteenbutdrunker SS.org Regular

I honestly hadn't heard of the BluGuitar Amp1 Iridium, and now that I have... it's looking pretty amazing. The John Browne demo has all of the tones that I'm looking for, doesn't really need a boost, would only have to haul that and a cabinet... I'm seriously considering it. My only reservation is that it's somewhat new and popular, and it might be a "flavor of the month" type thing with too much hype surrounding it. Anyone have any actual experience with gigging one of these?

If I'm going to go with a separate head and cab, I have the option to use literally any head I want, and there's about 10 other heads I'd use before I use a Katana. My 50 is awesome for what it is, but that's where it stops: for what it is. I'm pretty sure my 6505 MH through a Mesa 1x12 would absolutely destroy the Katana.

This is essentially the same option as the 5150 III: awesome sounding, but large and heavy. I'm still considering it, but I'd prefer something smaller.

I'm not a fan of using a FRFR setup. I used to have a QSC K12 and played through that, and it just does not do the "amp in the room" thing well at all. I was considering the HX Stomp into a SD Powerstage into a Mesa 1x12 or 2x12, or even HX Stomp into Powercab, but there's so much digital bullshit I have to worry about in that situation and I'm always worried about things changing that I can't see under the hood / losing presets / etc.. Considering replacing the HX Stomp with an Amptweaker Tight Metal Pro as it's got enough controls to find my tone.

6. ATRguitar91

I'm a huge advocate for the Preamp -> Poweramp -> cab setup. You explicitly said you didn't want to do that, but it'd be perfect for what you're wanting to do, as would the Bluguitar and a cab. In terms of setup, you could keep everything on one board. Show up at the gig, drop it on the floor, plug in the cab and power, and you're good to go. Hard to get simpler than that, and it's fully modular so you can swap out pieces if your needs change.

The Tight Metal Pro has become the core of my sound so I wholeheartedly recommend it, don't even need a separate boost pedal. I fire up my 6505 once every 6 months maybe because I'm already getting exactly the tone I want from the TMP. I'm not usually going for anything but high gain tones, but when I roll back the gain or the volume on my guitar it cleans up fairly well by my standards.

Alejandro Moreno and Gmork like this.
  7. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

Beat me to it, I'd just grab a Headrush 108!

8. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Well, Thomas Blug himself uses nothing but the Amp 1 (either original or Mercury Edition) so it's pretty gig proven at this point.

I have the Mercury Edition and measured it cranked through a 1x12 with Eminence Maverick. Amp1 ME 120 dB @ 1m. My 45W Bogner Goldfinger 45 Superlead tube amp delivered 117 dB @ 1m through the same cab. Remember that both amps were totally cranked and ~50 vs 100W gives you about 3 dB more volume. That was painfully loud volumes, the kind where you don't stand in front of the amp and where palm mutes start to be scary and everything in the room is rattling.

The Amp1 has been on the market since I think 2015, the Mercury Edition came in I think 2018 and Iridium in 2019? They are only gaining popularity now.

9. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

That is kind of the downfall though. If you want a huge chuggy bass, you really have to have a large enclosed speaker box. No real way around that.

Roadsterjosh and budda like this.
  10. malmsteenbutdrunker

I've reviewed everyone's suggestions, and it seems like I'm just not going to get what I want out of a combo regardless of money spent unless it's big, heavy, and sealed. I've started to look into the other options available to me, and I'm leaning towards getting a 1x12 or 2x12 and some sort of pedalboard option.

The pedalboard option is the part I'm not solid on though. I'm looking at either the BluGuitar Amp1 Iridium, or the Amptweaker Tight Metal Pro II into a pedalboard power amp. I know that the Amp1 has the versatility, but if the Tight Metal Pro really nails the 5150 sound and has all of those tweaking options (especially presence, resonance, and defizz), that's all I really need. If I do go with the Tight Metal Pro, what are people using for pedalboard power options these days? SD Powerstage, Quilter Interblock, something else? There are probably some options I'm unaware of, my only requirement is that it's something that can be mounted to my pedalboard and not something like a small head (i.e. Crate Powerblock) if possible.

11. ATRguitar91

If you want the classic 5150 sound, the Tight Metal Pro will absolutely nail it. I ran it into the loop of my 6505 and A/Bed, and with some tweaking the tone was indistinguishable.

For poweramps, I think it depends on what you're wanting to do, there's a lot of good stuff. I have a Quilter Microblock that I think sounds great, but I've never tried it with a drummer. I think it could hang fine, not gonna be optimal though. I use a Rocktron Velocity 120 with another rig and it sounds great and has enough grunt to hang with a drummer.

In your situation, I'd go for the SD Powerstage 200 and call it a day. Should sound good and have more than enough clean headroom. You could also pair it with your Kemper and Stomp if you end up going a different direction. There's also the Orange Pedal Baby. It seems like a lot of people like the bigger Quilter amps and you can mount those to a pedalboard.

12. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Fm3+powerstage 200.

13. oddfellowfloyd

oddfellowfloyd SS.org Regular

14. malmsteenbutdrunker

I'm a little confused here due to the weird post / quote structure, but are you recommending the Peavey Bandit 1x12? If so, I was considering that as well however I couldn't find any "modern" metal samples to hear what it sounds like. Do you have any sound samples?

15. malmsteenbutdrunker

Just because I hate when people make a post and then never follow up: I've ordered a Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini Combo. I'm not sure if it will be br00tal enough for thrash, but based on my experience with my plexi I think if I boost it with an SD-1 I can get pretty close. I know I could have gone with the Friedman Pink Taco instead if I wanted something more aggressive out of the gate, but I just liked the sounds of the Dirty Shirley better. For bigger gigs I'm going to get a 2x12, probably a Mesa Compact 2x12 or Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 212. Thank you all for your suggestions, over the past month or so I've researched a TON of amps and I hope I've made a decent choice.

Crundles likes this.
  16. The Thing Upstairs

The Thing Upstairs SS.org Regular

Nice choice - I've looked at the Friedman amps but not owned one. Be interested to see how you get on.

I'd just popped in to suggest a Friedman or Marshall DSL :)

17. malmsteenbutdrunker

Thanks. I really wanted the DSL series to work, but Marshall really fucked up that line IMO. The DSL40 is close, but it's just too big for a combo (at that point I'd go for a 5153 combo). Then for some reason they don't sell that wattage in a head, so logically you go down the product line a bit and there's the DSL20... which has the 2 worst gain modes out of the 4 on the DLS40. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but I'm sure Marshall has done the market research and is smarter than I am in that regard.

18. yan12

yan12 SS.org Regular

Engl fireball 25 and 2x12. No pedals needed. Nice noise gate and excellent loop if you want effects. Mid and volume boost.
    Simple.

19. malmsteenbutdrunker

I think you may have missed the initial post: "Basically, I just want to show up to the gig with a tuner pedal, boost pedal, and combo amp, plug everything in, and let er rip." If I was going to go with a head and cab, I have a whole sea of choices.