Small / Lesser Known Brands For High Gain Amps

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Also have you heard of Egnater Armageddon? It even has an ISP Decimator built in...

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
There is also Elmwood from Sweden. Would love to try a Modena.

Elmwood's are amazing. I think I have like 27 amps here and the Elmwood 3100 is one of my all-time favs and super versatile amps. I'm not sure how different the Modenas are, and I think the 60/90 use different tubes, but I've loved the clips of them. I heard the ones with sort of pearloid faceplates were the later releases where they tried to tighten it up a little bit, but the company folded right as they were being released.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I also stumbled on these recently. But are they even around anymore?

Nah, they're not around, and they basically don't respond to any attempts to contact the guys. So I'd say that's the biggest concern -- you're really on your own with them, and there's not a lot of info out there. These aren't hand wired amps... mine's fine, but if you need a replacement board down the road it's going to be tricky.

It's like a mix of a marshall and a mesa mark IIC+ though, with a properly good fender-style clean.

BabUShka

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I also stumbled on these recently. But are they even around anymore?

regarding the redseven leviathan. anyone played one?

Not that often. There was one for salg her locally in Norway earlier this year. It was a M60 and it went for $900.

I just bought my JVM at that time, so a new amp was not on the priority list.. But I have to admit that i regrets my choise. I could always buy an JVM later. But the Elmwood is a rare amp.

BrutalRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
if anyone with experience on the redseven leviathan would chime in, i would highly appreciate it. i think infos on this amp are kinda rare and in those few clips, it seems rather dark. Defined, but kinda lacking high end bite.

Thing is: even when the poweramp knobs being on the back is a big dislike for me, i looked into them again and there is actually one on the used market atm. Which is rare enough.

BrutalRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As someoe mentioned Hermansson: I shot him a message, he answered that he should be done with his prototypes around autmn/ winter, nut waiting list is very long. so i guess no hermansson as an option

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also have you heard of Egnater Armageddon? It even has an ISP Decimator built in...

I was severely disappointed in this. I liked the Tourmasters quite a bit, and was hoping for a more aggressive version of that. What they made was...lacking. I don't know how else to describe it.

This brings to mind an underrated (and reasonably-priced on the used market) amp, though - the Randall Diavlo 100.

Winspear

Tom Winspear
Reaction score
Heard very good things about the Science Amps Decolonizer. Want to pick up their Hiwatt clone (Mother) myself.

BrutalRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Heard very good things about the Science Amps Decolonizer. Want to pick up their Hiwatt clone (Mother) myself.
Never heard of that one, will check it out, thanks!

And thanks to everyone else for contributing so far.

BurningRome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
never heard of them. what do they sound like?
Cornford is out of business and is the same guy that started up Victory. A lot of chatter early on with similarity between the Victory stuff and Cornford stuff.

I've owned the Victory Kraken 50 and without a doubt it is equipped with as much gain as any amp I've ever owned, and tuned to tight high gain metal. IMO it destroyed the EVH 50 as for volume and weight, size, and it's gain structure, certainly just my opinion.

As mentioned by others, the Italian Mezzabarba which I want to try badly, still hard to locate in the US for a reasonable price.

I've also been looking at used Hughes and Kettner Triamp MK1 which are so under the radar that you can grab one all day long right now for $800-900 USD for something equal, to Framus, Engl, Fryette, etc. I have to assume they'd be less where you're at.

Crash Dandicoot

» Supra-ise!
Reaction score
Jason at Headfirst Amplification over in Australia does some phenomenal work and is solid dude all around. He's partnered up with Monomyth for North American distribution and service, so hopefully we see more of his stuff popping this side of the pond soon. He's a strong advocate for DIY as well and his PCB's for building your own stuff are top notch - the MTL clone/mod he built for me is a fucking banger and the price was way more than fair for what it is and what I had added. Great communication and the literal first custom order for anything I've ever had that was on time, to the letter. Can't speak highly enough of him.

His first original circuit is the forthcoming Alta100 and it sounds pretty killer. His MIDI integration and quality of life design choices are wicked, too.

BrutalRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cornford is out of business and is the same guy that started up Victory. A lot of chatter early on with similarity between the Victory stuff and Cornford stuff.

I've owned the Victory Kraken 50 and without a doubt it is equipped with as much gain as any amp I've ever owned, and tuned to tight high gain metal. IMO it destroyed the EVH 50 as for volume and weight, size, and it's gain structure, certainly just my opinion.

As mentioned by others, the Italian Mezzabarba which I want to try badly, still hard to locate in the US for a reasonable price.
I've also been looking at used Hughes and Kettner Triamp MK1 which are so under the radar that you can grab one all day long right now for $800-900 USD for something equal, to Framus, Engl, Fryette, etc. I have to assume they'd be less where you're at.
Yeah i checked for Cornford after i red about them here, but saw on their page they are out of business since 2013. interesting they are victory now. Checked those once, i think the don´t have a presence knob or something like that? I think that´s what put me off, but will check them out again.

There was a mezzabarba on the used market here for a few months, but 3100 Euro is more than i am even willing to spend on a new amp.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I didn't know Cornford turned into Victory. Interesting! Always wanted one of those amps, along with the Elmwood Modena, Titan Custom, Baron K88, Mako Dorado and Peters anything. My old amp tech, who now owns and operates LPD pedals, used to have a company called Gearu and his Eve amp was one of the nastiest Hotrodded Marshall tones I've ever heard. Too bad they never took off!

Last edited: