Small / Lesser Known Brands For High Gain Amps

BrutalRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hiwatt, but only for the Super-Hi 50. Though the UK is not in the EU anymore, so no idea if it's a shitshow getting stuff from here.
Have there been any of these out in the wild at all? Remember seeing those namm clips some time ago, but that´s about it. But yeah, it is no fun getting stuff from the UK either ever since Brexit. Honestly guys, just why.....

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Have there been any of these out in the wild at all? Remember seeing those namm clips some time ago, but that´s about it. But yeah, it is no fun getting stuff from the UK either ever since Brexit. Honestly guys, just why.....

They're out there, but quite limited. I'm tempted. I don't want to pay $3800 for one. There's also a lower cost one which I think is the same pre mated to a lunchbox poweramp, made in China. And of course the Dover stuff is very related, but I think the Hiwatt sounded better in clips TBH.

BrutalRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ceriatone
Got them on my mind for some time now :) Daniel from Deadweld Audio is distributing them here in Germany. He can get the kits and build them, had a chat with him about that some time ago.

MI Amplification Megalith Beta V2 and Gamma
Already mentioned them. I was about to order a Gamma about two years ago but the lack of communication put me off. I was wondering, if it is already like this before i order, how is it gonna be once he has my money?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I don't remember the name, but there's some Sunn Model T type builder in Sweden IIRC. I think Fluff has one. Looked badass.

BrutalRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Laboga Mr Hector absolutely rips
funny you mentioned that one, was aware of that amp but did not look into it up until two days ago :) can you elaborate a bit more?

You may consider Fortin amps, Driftwood amps and of course Diezel (ok, this is known... ) 😉
yes, i ment lesser known builders than these, hehe ;) had a diezel d moll some time ago, cool amp but not tight enough or rather biting in the high end. Though would like to have another one at some point.
also had a drftwood and was glad when i got rid of it. Way overrated imo but reading through the thread here, seems like more people seem to realize that

rokket2005

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
funny you mentioned that one, was aware of that amp but did not look into it up until two days ago :) can you elaborate a bit more?
They're very much a rectifier tonally. The original guitar player in Dagoba used one, and their album What Hell is About is the best example of them I can think of.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you want comedy go do some searching and find his posts on the Marshall forum and a few others... I believe a lot of the stuff is still out there
I was there when the dude would post there regularly. You are NOT wrong. :rofl: I'm shocked to find out the dude ended up being an amp builder full-time.

Also related to the topic; they're out of business now, but I remember Baron Amps being the shiznit back in the day.

Speaking of MI Audio, there's another Austrailian-based amp company that I can't remember the name of ATM. I think it's Sherlock? I swore they made a high-gain amp head or two.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
yes, i ment lesser known builders than these, hehe ;) had a diezel d moll some time ago, cool amp but not tight enough or rather biting in the high end. Though would like to have another one at some point.
also had a drftwood and was glad when i got rid of it. Way overrated imo but reading through the thread here, seems like more people seem to realize that
Ok, have a look then to Brunetti amps, especially the Brunetti XL-R EVO II...