SLO 30 out, vid with Ola

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by narad, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

So when people disagree with you, you consider it bias fan boys and bashing you? Where is your scientific open mind?

2. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I agree with You. Maybe I am interpreting Narad’s posts as overreacting. What struck me was the comparison of synergy approach to slo-like pedal into a Katana. Maybe I’m dissapointed a bit. Maybe I wanted slo30 to be „updated” version of slo-100. Maybe the price is in my humble opinion too high for what it is. I normally don’t discuss much here because of the pushy character of conversations. Read how many times I wrote „chill”, „relax” etc. So I’m done in this thread.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  3. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Maybe it looks like a beautiful paradox. The definition of bias and its consequences are widely discussed in scientific (esp. medical) literature. Narad’s posts seem to me to be pushy. I agree with Him on very many aspects. Even in this discussion of ours. But the form factor of this argument just doesn’t suit me. People on forums tend to be edgy and polarizing. I try to be as open as possible, but I am just a man..

4. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

Narad was being perfectly reasonable. I think you overreacted to his comments. When he compared the synergy to the slo-like pedal into a katana, it was not to compare the two. But to compare the generalization to the generalization you were making. You then drew the wrong conclusion and continued from a biased perspective.

Oh and saying chill chill relax usually has the opposite effect. Patronizing? Maybe.

If we are talking bias, I think you jumped to conclusions and that biased your entire argument there after. You asked an impossible question, since none of us have an SLO30 currently to disprove your speculation. So we are left with only our separate opinions.

Edit: If all you wanted was an answer to, Did BAD rip off the power amp and preamp and overcharge from preexisting products? I can confidently say NO. In an industry of mojo and reputation, it would be a suicidal move.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  5. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Narad is saying the difference between an SLO Synergy module into a fairly characterless poweramp is basically the same as an SLO pedal into a fairly characterless clean amp. Either the fabled parts of the SLO circuit (the special transformers) don't matter and the module/pedal gives a faithful experience, or they do matter and copying the preamp isn't enough. If they didn't matter, the SLO wouldn't be as sought after when all the cheaper Soldanos claim to get that sound despite different components.

Basically this same scenario exists with Diezel. There's a VH4 pedal, VH4 Synergy module, Lil Fokker, VH2 and now a VH Mini. The pedal and module sound pretty close to a VH4 when going through regular poweramps. They sound very close when going through a Diezel poweramp. The Lil Fokker sounds a lot like a VH4 but then they discontinued it, changed the transformers and released it as a VH2 and it sounds the same as a VH4. I haven't played a VH Mini but I've heard it's pretty close.

It's the in thing at the minute to release your preamp pedal version of your flagship amp. BE-OD, VH4, Ceres etc. Yet all of these companies still sell amps.

narad, Ribboz and Wolfhorsky like this.
  6. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

I think the new SLO30 and 100 sound great. While I don't play like Ola, I appreciate knowing I could get tones other than my own. After hearing this it made me put 5881s back in my SLO. Reading too many TGP posts on tubes made me go more vintage with my tone. I really missed the Soldano raw aggression. I'm happy to see the Soldano name live on. As someone who grew up watching his father play them, and then myself playing multiple. They have a fond memory in my heart. Michael Soldano's legacy deserves to live on. I hope BADs run of Soldano is successful. The SLO is an icon. I hope it stays that way.

My only critique of the new Soldano amps is purely aesthetic. The new Soldano amps look as though they were designed purely by an engineer. Function over aesthetic. Yet, look at original Soldano products. They look pristine, symmetrical. Look at the guts of an original SLO. Michael Soldano made his flag ship a true beauty. I've seen SLOs from the 80s that looks nearly brand new and gorgeous. Symmetrical transformer placement. Coating on the transformers, choke, and chassis preventing any rust. The highest quality components Soldano could find. Cleanly laid out wiring and PCB. Soldano put a lot of pride into the design of his amps. You can see it in every detail of the originals.

I feel BAD sacrificed some of those aesthetics to simplify the building process. Look at the choke. They had to move it to the outside of the chassis to fit the larger PCB. Also I'm not sure if there is any coating on the choke. There may be. But if BAD SLOs are rusty in a few years while original SLOs are not. It will not look good for BAD. Those kinds of extra little details make the original SLO hold up. I hope BAD replicates that.

c7spheres, narad and StevenC like this.
  7. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I've read that BAD is copying the original SLO transformers, but that is only internet speculation. I haven't seen one in person to be in a position to comment.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  8. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

It wasn't speculation, Mike Soldano said in an interview that the transformers are being wound to the same specs as the original SLO transformers. That was their solution after they couldn't get the company that bought DeYoung to keep building them for the new amps. Avi at BAD has also said a couple of times that they tried to get the old company to wind them but they flat out refused.

StevenC and sirbuh like this.
  9. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Ya'll make it sound like custom winding a transformer is going to extra mile.

most transformers are custom specified.
    The special thing about the deyoungs was that the slo was the only amp in the entire world that used that transformer. and bill didn't wind any transformers for anyone else.

eh. it's not that super. but he definitely got it mostly right the first time and then never touched it again for 30 years.

10. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I'm not comparing the Synergy _approach_ to a SLO-like pedal into a Katana, I'm saying the two would yield similar results, and one would cost way less. While the Synergy approach has a little more sophistication in it, it does so because it's trying to be many things at once. But it can't do that without compromise. Synergy didn't magically create one poweramp that can simulate all other power amps with one set of tubes (while also magically offering it for less than the cost of a good dedicated power amp). Soldano used to offer a dedicated poweramp -- it cost $2600 new.

If you want to approximate 8 different amps without buying all of them, Synergy may be a good solution. But if you just care about Soldano tone, there are already official Soldano SLO preamps, pedals, etc. so the development of the Synergy SLO module isn't bringing anything new to the table.

I don't mean to come across in an argumentative way, but there's a huge number of products that attempt to get SLO tone, so recalling the set of options winds up with a big fact dump.

StevenC likes this.
  11. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Some of you guys seem to have bought in pretty heavily on the TGP SLO Mythos. Only in the last decade or so has the internet talk about the SLO taken on this elder statesman of unobtainable high gainers vibe. It kicked in especially hard after Mike retired his shop.

FWIW, as someone into rack gear back in the day, I remember when Soldano offered to sell you *just* the preamp (X88R,X99)... and people loved that sh*t. They were using it with all kinds of different power amps and cabs, etc, no one was slagging those rigs for lacking mojo. Sure they’re only half the rig in terms of components but they’re about 80 to 90% of the tone in a high gain amp. I remember when an X99 based rig was my absolute dream rig...

I view the Syn like a modern version of one of those rack preamps. Mike designed it. He puts his name/brand on it, not someone else’s. He calls it the SLO not Hot Rod or JCA or X88. It is supposed to be the same design as the SLO high gain channel. One of the Opeth guys replaced his Avenger with it... The Syn stuff is super high quality and A/B vs the real deal compares *quite* well when paired with a proper power amp through the same cab.

It’s a cool option and it was cool of Mike to do a preamp for it. It’s killer gear. Is it the exact same thing as running an SLO100 rig? Heck no...

The SLO30 is killer, too, I am sure. Why some of you guys think the SLO is some kind of completely inimitable tonal paragon is beyond me though.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Wolfhorsky and sirbuh like this.
  12. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    $2600 is gonna take a few paychecks and gear sales but I’ve never had such effortless amp GAS, except for the KSR Ares. I’ve been waffling amongst several amps but this just hits the mark for my ears. Covers the territory I want right between classic and modern. 5150’ish but thicker; Dual Rec saturation without the fizz. That is to my ears, my opinion. I spent so much time A/Bing the XTC 3534 vs a JJ Jr (went with the JJ, and I hate EL84s normally but it had the “right” tone for me), Fortin Cali is a bit bright and hard to find, Dual Recs are so varied and I’m never 100% happy with EVH. All great amps on their own, but I’m endlessly picky over nuances. Got pedals for days to boost, tighten, sag, oscillate, fuzz, EQ, etc, so no worries there. This thing just sounds thiccc and I want it. Mmm mmm.

13. stratjacket

stratjacket Lost in a loop

The SLO was always a dream amp of mine that I never pulled the trigger on. Really disappointed when he closed shop and the price skyrocketed. I love the features of the new version and picked up the new SLO100 a few weeks ago and made this video. It’s about as straight forward, raw as I could get then I added some pedals at the end.

anyway, for what it’s worth if it helps. Skip to 1:18 for the actual amp play through:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  15. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

You must have the coolest neighbors in the history of neighbors!

16. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Waza Tube Amp Expander.

rexbinary, c7spheres and Ribboz like this.
  17. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

Did Riffs, Beards, and Gear's SLO tone sound fuzzy? I have my gain on 11 and it's way cleaner than his. Maybe the mic placement and speakers?

18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

his tone is always fuzzy, especially compared to other youtuber demos. His demo of the synergy fryette deliverance was easily the worst sounding of the bunch.

c7spheres and Ribboz like this.
  19. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Probably on purpose, SLOs can definitely sound like that - remember most High On Fire albums were recorded with Soldanos

c7spheres likes this.
  20. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

Elric likes this.