Skervesen owners! How do you like your guitars now?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by laxu, Sep 14, 2016.

1. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Oh you had that gorgeous beast! It's actually very close to what I want at the moment but back when it was for sale I ruled it out because I didn't fancy a 8-string and had a Kiesel 7-string coming in anyway.

2. ztevie

ztevie SS.org Regular

I talked with them for a while regarding a new custom, but I was not impressed.
    First of all, answers came very sporadic, sometimes the next day, sometimes more than a week.
    Secondly, I wouldn't consider them a true custom shop? There are basic things they wouldn't change, like scale length and nut width. I wanted 24.75" scale, 42 mm nut widthand some other minor things for a 6-stringer but they wouldn't do it. 25.5 and 43 mm was set in stone, or as they put it: "If you want to buy from us, you need to trust us because we know what options are the best for our guitars"

Besides that I'm sure they're fine...

3. Erockomania

Erockomania Studio Geek

They are a true custom shop. If you wanted that stuff, there is basically just an additional CAD fee as they have to design it all for milling. They do everything else under the sun, including custom double neck 8 strings... if that is not a true custom shop, I do not know what is.

4. Erockomania

Erockomania Studio Geek

5. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Would you want a custom guitar from someone that doesn't want to build it? :nuts:

6. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Try to call PRS to make a custom in the shape of a Strat :lol:
    I know that guys at Skervesen want to focus on their designs. Thus it is more custom select. To enter the full blown custom shop, you need to pay extra for the designing process.

7. Erockomania

Erockomania Studio Geek

I do not know how the conversation went so I can't comment, but point made.

8. ztevie

ztevie SS.org Regular

A true custom shop will make you anything you want. Within reason of course... I understand they wouldn't want to make a guitar with a 60"scale and 5mm thick neck, but...

I wanted a slight alteration on one of their body options, but they felt they wanted to keep visual integrity of their instruments.
    Smaller nut width was not possible, 43 mm only.
    Pickup choices BKP, Lace and Duncan only.
    I wanted a slightly thinner neck, like ESP thin U 19-21 mm, but they was reluctant to do that because of fear that it would be sanded through the wood and expose the truss rod.

It may sound like I'm very unhappy with my experience with them, but not at all! I just chose to go elsewhere because they wouldn't do the above. Many custom shops have plenty of options to choose from but won't do anything outside of those, thus I won't call them a "true custom shop".
    I'm actually having a guitar built now by a shop that has firm options on most things like body and head shape, but they have no problem doing different nut widths, thinner necks and so forth... But I liked the look of their guitars and could get the specs I needed...

9. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

You made Your point, mate. I hope Your build will be great.

10. Perplexed-Perception

Perplexed-Perception SS.org Regular

but the biggest question of them all is how is laxu Feeling about ordering from skervesen now? :lol: will he release his gas and order a shoggie :shred:

11. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Checking if I can find a used one first. :)

12. Possessed

Possessed SS.org Regular

Ran used to do it, but not anymore

13. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

So I am in talks with Skervesen about getting a Shoggie DC 8 built but thought I would ask you guys some more info.

How do you like the neck joint on the bolt-on models, especially the Shoggie? I generally prefer bolt-on but now have a Strandberg Boden OS 8 here that doesn't have the most ergonomic neck heel because it goes quite far out up to the 17th fret. So how are the Skervesens in this regard?

Any thoughts on pickup choices? Skervesen recommended BKP Juggernaut/Mule combo for a rosewood neck, limba body and poplar top build. I want something that can deal with tones from funk to metal.

14. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

I've owned a used swamp ash raptor 7 bolt on for a few years. I haven't dealt directly with skervesen. I bought it to decide if I should place a custom order. I still haven't wanted to place an order. I'm happy with the guitar, but something doesn't click.

The guitar is built extremely well. The fretwork is great. The finish is great. The tone and aftermath really made me have to dial in my amp a totally different way (the mids were very honky and I needed to cut mids). The tone was definitely usable, just needed to adapt.

Everything about this guitar suggests that I should be amazed. The main issue is I have several other guitars that play more effortlessly and naturally to me. If you are looking at an order, I strongly suggest you have them build a standard c shaped neck and not an asymmetric neck. I think this is one of my main discomforts. If you have a general idea of a neck shape you like, measure it and stick to symmetric.

As far as the neck heel. I never had an issue with it (and I prefer neck thru, so that says something).

Otherwise I agree with an earlier poster. It isn't my favorite. I wouldn't even say I go to it regularly. But for the price and wait time, I still consider ordering one with a standard neck shape just to see if it helps.

15. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

Do they even offer any other neck shape than their own asymmetric? :s

16. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

No idea. Why wouldn't they do a C or D profile?

Regarding neck access. On the high e and b, the heel gets in the way around the 19-20 fret. This is using my pinky. Using my index finger and sliding my wrist, around the 15th fret it is noticeable. On lower strings the fan definitely makes it hard to play up high.

On pickups/ wood, go with something you know. If I could swap out wood and pickups for a mahogany body with x2n and air norton or emgs, I would. The slant means I have to custom order any different pickups to try addressing the tone, and can't easily swap various used pickups. I know DiMarzio has a return policy. I'm not even sure I could sell a slanted aftermath.

17. Slaeyer

Slaeyer SS.org Regular

I'm just being in contact with one of their authorized dealers about ordering a custom myself. They offer regular neck shapes as well. ;)

18. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

Oh okay. I am just in love with my Carvin neck profile, it is the most comfortable ever. Many people like endurneck for example and I decided to go for the asymmetric profile. We'll see what is it like.

19. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

As much as I also like the Carvin neck profile, I decided to order my Skervesen Shoggie 8 with their asymmetric profile. I like the Endurneck as well but felt it was a tad too chunky so I hope the Skervesen is a bit more svelte.