Sims Custom shop in 2021?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by narad, Jul 5, 2021.

1. thrsher

thrsher \m/-_-\m/

i sent him my vik to refinish in like 2017. he has no grasp on timeline quotes. he quoted me 6 months took over a year. his communication is subpar but i was very happy with his end result. if you can accept poor communication and being provided an unrealistic timeline, you are good to go

c7spheres likes this.
  2. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Whoa, the glossy burl one?

3. thrsher

thrsher \m/-_-\m/

yup, if you scroll through his IG, you should come across it

4. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

These are two things that are completely unacceptable in any business IMO. And I'm the asshole that will pester someone about my project and how much of a discount I'm getting every day after the reported finish date.

Masoo2 and John like this.
  5. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

Not worth the trouble. There's other folks who are reputable in terms of refinishing.
    I've dealt with Marty Bell, but he's in semi-retirement by now so he may or may not take in your guitar to refinish. Pat Wilkins and Spongebrick are also good, though I'm not sure if the latter is taking in any outside projects at the moment. He mentioned a lengthy backlog when I asked.

He passed away a few months ago, so that won't be an issue anymore.

6. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

This x ∞

7. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

That was my life for almost 20 years. That’s why servers are always broke; you go in for 4 hours, make $150, blow it at all at the bar on booze or blow thinking, “I got a shift tomorrow, I’ll make it back” and then it’s rinse and repeat.

The most fun I ever had in all that was when I worked at a TGI Fridays in Ft Lauderdale. There’s a bar directly across the street and we used to have the hosts fill our stations up with guests, get all their orders in, run across the street and do shots and by the time we got back, it was like the perfect time to get them re-fills or get their apps out. We had that system DOWN. Half the managers knew and didn’t give a shit because they were usually getting high with us in the parking lot or right in the restaurant once we closed.

Unfortunately, so many of my friends in that business couldn’t stop partying. Once I hit 30, I was done with it. At 38, I can still do a good 2-4 day bender, but I have so much shit going on at work that I have to make sure I have my staff in place to handle on-call shit because once I decide I’m going on a bender, I’m off to the races.

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  8. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

And shit, once the Hard Rock opened in Hollywood, we no longer had to go to Andy’s, which was a bar that closed at 7:59AM and opened at 8AM. The Hard Rock is part of Seminole and they’ve got no laws regarding drinking times, so it’s just 24 hour drinking.

I hate that place now because it just reminds me of how many nights I’d end up there at 7AM with nothing but drunks, gambling addicts and hookers. Those hookers tricked me once, damnit.

Dumple Stilzkin likes this.
  9. pondman

pondman Build Whore.

Anyone contemplating giving Patrick Siimms work after reading his full history needs a full check up from the neck up.

Masoo2 and possumkiller like this.
  10. ChrispyFinch

ChrispyFinch SS.org Regular

My heart sank when I read through this. I have sent Sims a guitar a bit ago to be refinished.
    I had only seen positive reviews of the business so I figured it was safe.
    Excitement is one hell of a blinding motivator.
    I'll try to keep this updated with my experience as it happens, so only time will tell.

Here's the process thus far:
    Got on a call with Patrick to discuss the work order
    Signed a work order summary and paid in full over the phone (first red flag)
    Waiting "Quoted turnaround time is approximately 14 weeks from when it's received."
    My guitar got delivered to him on 5/15/21.

So should see/hear something around 8/21/21...

wish my stupid ass luck

Dumple Stilzkin and c7spheres like this.
  11. pondman

pondman Build Whore.

Good luck, lets hope your one of the lucky ones.

oracles and possumkiller like this.
  12. KyleG

KyleG SS.org Regular

I sent a Parker to Marty and his refinish was mediocre at best. He took a lot of liberties with my guitar without asking and there are a ton of imperfections.

I didn't even pick up my Parker for a year after he panted it because I was so bummed out.

At least now I don't have to baby it since I'm going to get it refinished eventually.

13. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Do you have any pics? I probably won't be sending anything to Marty due to his retirement/selectivity, but I'd be curious to see these defects. Really haven't heard any negative reviews of his work until now.

benny likes this.
  14. KyleG

KyleG SS.org Regular

I'll snap a few photos tonight when I get off work.

Dumple Stilzkin likes this.
  15. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin SS.org Regular

Damn dude that sucks, I’ve only heard stellar reports about his work.