Sims Custom shop in 2021?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by narad, Jul 5, 2021.

1. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

So has anyone been following Sims on instagram? I remember the name from circa 2010 when a whole bunch of shit went down, and I think people lost guitars, like had actually sent guitars there and then nothing ever happened. I think I heard there were some people's guitars sold to other people? I forget the details, but it has been a long time and the instagram feed has some really killer stuff on it. Of particular note, there is a Petrucci Picasso-style one done with chameleon and black paint, and looks amazing. I don't know how to share that here but I recommend you check it out.

So I'm kind of considering doing that as a project, maybe on a 7-string j-custom, but I don't know if the old stuff was overblown, if people eventually found an amicable resolution, if we're even talking about the same shop, or the same people doing the work. Just kind of in the dark about whether it's a risky idea.

Dumple Stilzkin likes this.
  2. narad

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire L'enfant sausage

To be clear, you're talking about the USA based sims and not the UK one(who has not fucked anyone over to my knowledge), right?

AltecGreen, RevDrucifer and JimF like this.
  4. narad

Yea, USA one. I think it's Patrick Sims?

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Haven't heard any horror stories in 10+ years, and they seems to do a fair amount of work.

I suppose it's been long enough, but I'm sure as shit not going to go first. :lol:

6. pondman

pondman Build Whore.

Don't go anywhere near that fucking asshole. He's a complete arrogant rip off merchant and banned from most guitar forums.

John, cwhitey2, bostjan and 4 others like this.
  7. SandyRavage

SandyRavage SS.org Regular

Stay far away from that shop and that dude. More than a few people with bad paint work, lost guitars, etc from a decade ago and more than a few hiccups recently.

GMW / Pat Wilkins. The minuscule price difference your going to pay for a flawless job the first time and never have to worry if you’ll never see you guitar again is worth its weight in gold.

Do not send your guitar to sims.

ElysianGuitars likes this.
  8. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I got a couple bodys and necks from him back in 2011. Pain in the ass to deal with once the money was transfered. Ghosting etc.. He tried to not deliver by the eta. I told him before hand it was critical to get them on time.
    - He didn't deliver so I started a dispute case (did everything through Paypal specifically because of the reputation, though some people where totally happy and his work looked great). We ended up settling on delivering the goods within a month and $200 back (case not closed until confirmation).
    - I got everything and they're pretty sweet (even for just being blanks). Setting up the contract beforehand and included with payment was key to why I had protection, because otherwise I'd probably be screwed.

9. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

To be clear, none of the Sims that you'll are talking about is Sims Cashion, right?

10. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

No, Patrick Sims, unless he changed his name or something.

11. pondman

pondman Build Whore.

12. xzyryabx

xzyryabx SS.org Regular

I wouldn't do it man.
    Once shady, always shady.
    And he was pretty shady.

13. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I didnt catch the issues that were present on my build (Brian Bowes saw it in TO, found some flaws) - my issue was that the 6-string neck had a 7-string nut width that I didnt know about prior to ordering. Due to that and neck dive, I didnt keep the guitar very long.

Havent heard anything lately but I would be hesitant to be the guinea pig, as max said.

14. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

My orange RG565 style build was a raw alder Sims body. It had tons of flaws, bad glue joints, lots of stuff I had to fix. I got that body ages ago, and maybe he got better since, but I wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt, given his history and my personal experience with that RG565 body and other things I've worked on that he's touched.

15. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Here's one of the bodys I had made.

- It's a 3/4" flamed maple top, figured black limba back, and the pickup, bridge, and output jack routes are like on the Petrucci example; Normal/non triangle pickup routes, J-Custom output jack style, Lo Pro route. It's really nice wood.

Check it out; I'm terrible at photos! I tried damping the wood a little so the grain would pop more. There's also some with it dry too. The figuring on the black limba was a surprise.

IMG_0762.jpg IMG_0763.JPG IMG_0982.JPG IMG_0984.JPG IMG_0986.JPG IMG_0987.JPG IMG_0989.JPG IMG_6809.JPG IMG_6810.JPG

That weird grain thing by the top horn on the back is not a chip out or anything. It's just how the wood is. It'll look really nice once finished.

16. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Man, I used to follow that mess quite a bit but I stopped about 15 years ago.

I remember reading lots of stories of people showing up to Patrick’s house with a Sheriff so they could sort through piles of guitars to find theirs. Jemsite was full of stories like that for a long time and I could never understand why people just kept sending him shit.

Then it happened with Livewire guitars, who were doing some really nice looking swirls out of Florida, right where I used to live in Palm Bay.

Ya know, I’ve got a chunk of change coming my way…maybe I should dump some money into learning how to swirl and make it a little side gig.

pondman and c7spheres like this.
  17. Gain_Junkie93

Gain_Junkie93 Can't handle 7's.

Wow never expected to see Palm Bay mentioned here. I grew up there for 19 years then got the hell away lol.
    It's too bad that so many of these guys get a reputation for awesome quality work and then either their ethics or their quality begins to fade almost immediately. Seems like you either have to pay a premium price or learn to diy.

RevDrucifer likes this.
  18. ScottThunes1960

ScottThunes1960 SS.org Regular

I bought and refinished a “too cheap to pass up” Parker that the previous owner probably took a $1000+ loss on after he had Sims paint it House of Kolor Tangerine (“Sims” was gold sharpie’d under the neck pup). I don’t know what his experience was, but the frog tape hadn’t been applied in straight lines, paint was flaking off around the routes, and clear had been sprayed over dust bunnies.

pondman likes this.
  19. narad

Well the sad news is GMW won't do the finish, but on the other hand, Sims never replied to my email, so I don't really have to consider that one either! lol

Maybe Radical instruments will do it

20. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

I haven't heard anything from Mike Sherman in a while. I wonder if it's safe to order from him again?

Something about leopards eating faces?

"I didn't think he would ever steal my guitar!", says the guy who sent his guitar to the guy who steals guitars.

Emperoff and Edika like this.