Silent single to pair with Holy Diver

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by BigViolin, Feb 25, 2018.

1. BigViolin

BigViolin JEFF LOOMIS SOLOIST!

I'm building up a rear loaded tele for fusion/prog that will be tuned standard, half step down and drop D.

Specs so far:
    six string 25.5"
    tele body-mahogany with maple top
    maple neck with pau ferro board
    hipshot bridge
    BKP Holy Diver in bridge
    wiring will be with a push pull tone to split bridge pickup with a 3 way blade switch

I'm looking for a strat sized silent single for the neck slot. Considering the Dimarzio virtual solo and the Duncan vintage hot stack plus. Any experience with these or suggestions for others is appreciated. I'm looking for warm cleans with the neck and unique tones in the middle position with the hum full on and split. Creamy high gain neck solo tones would be great as well. I know that's asking a lot!

Thanks for reading and any advice you can offer!

2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

I've used the Vintage Hot Stack with hotter humbuckers and it keeps up just fine while still having the single coil 'attack'.

BigViolin likes this.
  3. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

What is a "silent single"? Sounds like someone who doesn't go on dates.

4. BigViolin

How were the cleans? Also did it seemed scooped or pretty balanced? I'm trying to avoid that zingy, twangy scooped thing under gain.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire L'enfant sausage

maybe check out the dimarzio tone zone s or pro track. :shrug: I don't really know much about what's out there for single coil pickups

BigViolin likes this.
  6. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

Pad dum tsssh! Maybe a single coil that doesn't produce the typical annoying hum?

Some stacked coil would be a safe choice? I would probably go for Dimarzio Chopper.

BigViolin likes this.
  7. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Do you want a humbucker in a single coil housing, or a thick sounding but still close to a true single coil?

For the former, Dimarzio make plenty like the Fast Track 2, Pro Track, Chopper or Air Norton Single (all rails), that's closer to a humbucker and a ton of mids. Duncan also make the Lil 59 and Cool Rails too. All will match the output of the Holy Diver without effort.

For the latter, the Virtual Solo is a good choice. It's thick warm, full of mids, yet still maintains the single coil sound. The Injector is also great with a tighter bottom end. I also like the BKP Sinner for that extra upper mid punch.

BigViolin likes this.
  8. BigViolin

Going for the latter. I have a Air Norton S in another guitar and like it but wanted to try a single without rails in this guitar. Your description of the Virtual solo is pretty much spot on to what I'm looking for.

9. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

Well, it isn't scooped at all. If anything, it has more bass than anything, but equal treble and mids. I like the clean sound, especially since it keeps up with hotter pickups. You get an initial 'snap' from the attack like any single coil does. However, the 'sustain' portion on the note is smooth and not spikey.

BigViolin likes this.