Signal Chain Question

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TheDisease999, Mar 28, 2013.

1. TheDisease999

TheDisease999 Drop G for ME

Hi,

I am still pretty new with rack gear, pedals, etc so I do not understand fully how placing what, in what order, effects what it does. Basically I have my guitar into a Decimator pedal, into my head.

I am getting a new head with an fx loop (which I've never had) and am curious if this would effect the order I run it all in. I also got a sonic max, 1 channel, and am curious where in the chain I should put this too.

Sorry if this is a shitty question, I tried looking to find the answer but couldn't.

I am a n00b absolutely.

Thanks! :hbang:

2. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Sonic Maximizer goes in the loop. The Decimator can go in front or in the loop, but you need a gate in front, so only in the loop if you have another gate for the front.

Most people chain like this...

Guitar>Noise Gate>Compressor>OD/Dist>EQ/Modulation>Volume/Wah>Amp>(FX send)>Noise Gate/Suppression>EQ/Modulation>Delays and Reverbs>(FX return)

Modulation covers a host of FX, such as Phasers, loopers, Chorus, etc...Basically anything but Delays and Reverb. Sonic Maximizer is considered Modualtion/EQ, EQs work best in the loop.

3. EOT

EOT I pull over 500 lbs.

There are no real rules on what goes where. Some things do work better in the loop vs in front of the amp like delays and reverbs. But that doesn't mean they don't work in front. The maximizer will have more effect in the loop. But you might like it in front better.

When I had a maximizer I ended up running guitar>gate>maximizer>MK.4.23(to boost the maximizer)> amp. I liked it quite a bit that way. You might not. Experiment and see what works best for you.

4. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

Vick was mostly spot on, but I see wah and volume placed early in the chain more often, usually before distortion. It doesn't matter where you place it if you get the sound you like but it changes how the pedals interact. For example a volume pedal before the distortion will alter the amount of breakup, while after the distortion it just changes the volume before it hits your amp, however you could still use the volume on your guitar to change the amount of breakup.

5. TheDisease999

TheDisease999 Drop G for ME

Great thanks a lot. This answers my questions really well! I plan to go
    guitar>Decimator>OD808>Amp>fxsend>Sonic max>fx return.

Might also want to throw another decimator in the loop, this is just for hum though right? And one day I might try to do the misha method with the compressor, I really really want my sustain back

6. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

The second Gate is for the noise produced by the amps preamp, more useful for high gain settings, where the amp is pushing a lot of gain to the power section.

7. Hipster Holocaust

Hipster Holocaust Well-Known Member

IMO, the biggest factor (for non-distortion FX), is whether you amp has a parallel or series FX loop configuration.