Side dots showing through fretboard.

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by jwade, Nov 13, 2018.

1. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Ok, at this point, I’ve realized that I don’t actually enjoy building guitars. Never ending fuckups, super over this whole thing.

My most recent screwup: while using the radius sanding block, I somehow went too far, and now the white side dots are showing on the edge of the fretboard.

I’m assuming that the only way to fix that is to take the fretboard off and burn it, and then put a new fb on.

Any advice? I’m basically at the literal end of my rope here, absolutely nothing I try to do lately has worked out even slightly.

2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Enjoy your new top markers?

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

How thick was your fretboard initially? I don't know how you'd sand that far down unless you used hella rough paper like 60 grit for radius sanding, or used a super thin board/mounted the dots really close to the surface.
    Dealing with and mitigating fuckups is 99% of woodworking ime. take a break, build some cutting boards or go smash things. That always chills me out when I mess up part of my builds (which is a lot).

4. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I had it thicknessed to about .3” to leave enough for doing the radius. I used 120 grit and then after the radius was done, 220 & 320 to polish it up.

5. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 Mobius Guitars

This is exactly why I drill my side dot markers after sanding the board radius.

Rattlehead83 and Soya like this.
  6. Soya

Soya Poor person

Ditto, also easier to get the dot centered on the side of the fretboard once it's to final dimension.

7. crackout

crackout The Yellow One

It is essential to set up a plan before you start doing work. Go through the entire build process mentally and think about the chronological order of steps.
    This way you can prevent such things from happening.
    Another way would be to see how others do it. Watch Flechter's Handcrafted Guitars on YouTube. He has his entire build process of several models online to enjoy. You can learn so much from this just by watching and taking notes for your map.

8. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

Press on, dude! I love your ideas from the other threads I've seen and I think you make cool stuff.

Do you still have some of the fretboard wood? If so, this would be totally fixable, at least for appearance reasons. Just route a little strip away from the dots side and glue a strip from the remaining piece in place. If you're careful it may look nearly seamless.

And, if the glue seam is noticeable, buy some veneer of the same species, and lay over the top of the fretboard. This is another point where you'd have to be very careful there are no bubbles etc. but you could make that fretboard look like it never happened and it would still play great as long as you keep everything flat.

If you're worried that the veneer is not a viable option, I'd point out that Fender did that in the early 60's (intentionally!) and they're incredibly playable/collectible to this day.
    [​IMG]

Mathemagician likes this.
  9. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I know how to do the vast majority of things related to physically building the instruments, that’s not the problem. Stupid little screwups happen too often in doing this, and it infuriates me.

10. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

The problem is that it’s an ebony fb, and not just any type. It’s nearly jet black Gabon ebony, and all I’ve got left of it is a few small strips.

I think that selling off the various expensive woods I’ve been hoarding is the plan now.

11. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

There's a reason I mostly have stuck to cheap woods so far on my builds. Mistakes happen, especially cosmetic ones. Sounds like this one is just cosmetic so I'd just say finish it up, make the guitar work as best as you can, screw up a few more things, learn from those, and do better the next time.

I've been disappointed with my latest build for a while, but then I pulled out my first build and tried to play it and was like "oh wow okay actually this is pretty okay".

Theyll get better and better every time.

12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Half the fun is finding solutions to problems!

If projects ran perfectly it would just get repetitive and boring.

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

yeah, I learned my lesson with my first full build. blew a bunch of money on some nice walnut/quilted maple and then ruined it all. Now it's pine/ash bodies til I get the design/finish work juuuust right.
    my last couple of builds have come out pretty damn good compared to my old builds