Show Your Pedalboard: 2022

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The patchbay is what I’m unsure about so far. I‘d rather have a permanently mounted patch bay that I plug/unplug XLR’s and shit in and out of, mainly to keep things nice and tidy without cables running on the board because I’m OCD about that stuff. I’m just not sure what my use-case is going to end up being yet to invest the time/money into making/buying one.

And I think I’m going to buy another Freqout just for the FM9 rig since my other one is mounted in the III’s rack (I use that small momentary switch on the FC6 board to engage it in the III). Even though I’m running into actual cabs, there’s still stuff I do with that Freqout I can’t do with just volume.
One of the other items on the way is an XLR Patchbox. The back of the FM9 is accessible enough but it might be cool to keep from plugging in and out of the onboard jacks. Then again it’s made for gigging so it’s made to last. Idk.

You certainly could perma-mount a patchbay. If I was doin that it’d have to be pretty comprehensive because as soon as I had it made and installed I’d probably change my use case up and be screwed. You might consider a few very well mounted boxes but swappable if needed.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One of the other items on the way is an XLR Patchbox. The back of the FM9 is accessible enough but it might be cool to keep from plugging in and out of the onboard jacks. Then again it’s made for gigging so it’s made to last. Idk.

You certainly could perma-mount a patchbay. If I was doin that it’d have to be pretty comprehensive because as soon as I had it made and installed I’d probably change my use case up and be screwed. You might consider a few very well mounted boxes but swappable if needed.

Yeah, the constant unplugging/plugging in is a concern. I’m not so much worried about the quality of the FM9, but if someone steps on that while it’s plugged in, I’d rather have a patch bay go down than the jack on the FM9 itself. That and my OCD for having loose cables on the pedalboard.

aWoodenShip

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's almost there. Debating on what the final pedal should be. A dedicated tuner would be nice (buffered output would be a bonus). But I also kind of want a noise gate. Idk that adding all the cumbersome wiring to make something like a Zuul+ work would be worth it but maybe just a Sentry in the front. The other option is to get rid of the Precision Drive as it's already in the Helix and uses so little DSP and do both. PXL_20220626_192748823~2.jpg

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's almost there. Debating on what the final pedal should be. A dedicated tuner would be nice (buffered output would be a bonus). But I also kind of want a noise gate. Idk that adding all the cumbersome wiring to make something like a Zuul+ work would be worth it but maybe just a Sentry in the front. The other option is to get rid of the Precision Drive as it's already in the Helix and uses so little DSP and do both. View attachment 109749

Do you use anything in the amp’s fx loop?

aWoodenShip

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nah not really. At most I run a delay and reverb for lead tones after the IR blocks.

Edit: no physical amp if that's what you were referring to also. The Helix is my amp sim.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nah not really. At most I run a delay and reverb for lead tones after the IR blocks.

Edit: no physical amp if that's what you were referring to also. The Helix is my amp sim.

Lol. I’m laughing at myself because that didn’t occur to me.

So then yeah maybe just a tuner. You could use a gate in the stomp right?

aWoodenShip

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Lol. I’m laughing at myself because that didn’t occur to me.

So then yeah maybe just a tuner. You could use a gate in the stomp right?
Lol I think between the Helix and plugins I'm okay without and amp for now.

I currently use the input gate and it does an okay job. I could also use one in the Helix after the amp if I wanted. I think the only reason I might one one on the board is to put before the drop so it isn't picking up unwanted noise.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Latest iteration. The MIDI Baby 3 allows me to change amp channels on whichever amp I’m using (the EVHs and, via a Suhr Micro MIDI, even the 6505 and DSL40C—need to do a NAD for that I guess).

2238FD36-1102-449F-B3C6-0ACFC642CC60.jpeg

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Latest iteration. The MIDI Baby 3 allows me to change amp channels on whichever amp I’m using (the EVHs and, via a Suhr Micro MIDI, even the 6505 and DSL40C—need to do a NAD for that I guess).

View attachment 109771
Any thoughts on Zelzah vs the CE-2W? I've been considering adding one of them on my board for modulation but since I mostly use chorus the Zelzah seems like a bit much.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Zelzah vs the CE-2W? I've been considering adding one of them on my board for modulation but since I mostly use chorus the Zelzah seems like a bit much.
Now that you mention it, I haven’t actually compared them. I will do that later and report back.

ATRguitar91

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's almost there. Debating on what the final pedal should be. A dedicated tuner would be nice (buffered output would be a bonus). But I also kind of want a noise gate. Idk that adding all the cumbersome wiring to make something like a Zuul+ work would be worth it but maybe just a Sentry in the front. The other option is to get rid of the Precision Drive as it's already in the Helix and uses so little DSP and do both.
The drives in the Helix are plenty good, but I prefer my hardware drives a lot of the time, it also frees up blocks in the Stomp. So I would add another distortion or overdrive in front for more flavor.

The noise gates in the Helix are also great in my experience, especially the Horizon gate, so I wouldn't think a hardware gate is necessary.

Another consideration for that final spot is a two button footswitch to give you access to FS4 and FS5. That would give you two more footswitches to work with which is super helpful. Could use one as dedicated tuner switch and another for a miscellaneous stomp or to change footswitch modes. I keep mine set to go up and down presets, but I also keep mine hooked to a huge midi controller at the house.

Partario

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's almost there. Debating on what the final pedal should be. A dedicated tuner would be nice (buffered output would be a bonus). But I also kind of want a noise gate. Idk that adding all the cumbersome wiring to make something like a Zuul+ work would be worth it but maybe just a Sentry in the front. The other option is to get rid of the Precision Drive as it's already in the Helix and uses so little DSP and do both. View attachment 109749
I have a similar setup but with an HX FX. I ended up putting a DECI-MATE (ISP Decimator mini) as the first thing I plug in to. No need for wiring a key like the Zuul, It's working great for me.

A note about the Precision Drive in the HX - It's broken out into two pedals, drive and gate. The gate isn't a traditional on/off, it's more of a noise reduction. I wasn't able to get the hard gating effect with it, which is why I added the Decimator.

I also have an OD out front, and I found adding the Precision gate model first in the HX takes all the added noise out of the OD and doesn't mess with your threshold if you put a pedal gate out front.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Okay so I compared the Zelzah and the CE-2W. The Zelzah has a pretty nice chorus with the time maxed out but I definitely prefer the CE-2W for pure chorus sounds. If you don’t need the phaser/flanger sounds there’s no reason to get the Zelzah. If you want a phaser and have room on the board you’d probably be better off with two separate pedals unless there are some features in the Zelzah you really like.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Okay so I compared the Zelzah and the CE-2W. The Zelzah has a pretty nice chorus with the time maxed out but I definitely prefer the CE-2W for pure chorus sounds. If you don’t need the phaser/flanger sounds there’s no reason to get the Zelzah. If you want a phaser and have room on the board you’d probably be better off with two separate pedals unless there are some features in the Zelzah you really like.
Thanks! I would like an occasional flanger and MIDI control so that's part of what appeals on the Zelzah. I also like that it's a bit vague in between these as you sort of drift between phase/chorus/flange.

But on the other hand chorus, phaser and flanger often work best in different parts of the signal chain where phaser might do better before amp input and chorus is usually better in the fx loop, flanger could be either.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks! I would like an occasional flanger and MIDI control so that's part of what appeals on the Zelzah. I also like that it's a bit vague in between these as you sort of drift between phase/chorus/flange.

But on the other hand chorus, phaser and flanger often work best in different parts of the signal chain where phaser might do better before amp input and chorus is usually better in the fx loop, flanger could be either.
Yeah if MIDI control is desirable the Zelzah is a pretty cool option. Honestly the Mobius might be best for your use case as it has all those algorithms and more, full MIDI control and the ability to wire it up and configure each preset for pre or post. Of course it’s significantly larger too so… 🤷🏾‍♂️

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah if MIDI control is desirable the Zelzah is a pretty cool option. Honestly the Mobius might be best for your use case as it has all those algorithms and more, full MIDI control and the ability to wire it up and configure each preset for pre or post. Of course it’s significantly larger too so… 🤷🏾‍♂️
Yeah Mobius is a chonky boi and it's also pretty old. GFI Synesthesia would probably do the trick too but it might be way more than I really need.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah Mobius is a chonky boi and it's also pretty old. GFI Synesthesia would probably do the trick too but it might be way more than I really need.
I guess there’s the Boss MD stuff. I actually hadn’t considered that. Hmmm.