Show Me Your YouTube Channel! Let's Scratch Each Others Backs

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Gmork, Jun 24, 2019.

1. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

I agree that YT and even Twitch-fcbk (and soon Mixer) are saturated and that the odds of success don't justify the time investment, for me anyhow. That being said, that assumes people define success via money generated, which I doubt is the case with some here, who simply want to be heard.

In my case, I have limited time to practice or write music. I have a full time job as a researcher and coach an olympic boxing team 3 nights a week. Given that these activities take time and more importantly energy, I have chosen to put all my eggs in the "practice + write" basket and not devote time on social media other than the occasional post. If I ever get good enough and write good enough music, then I'll consider that this could be a second career, until then, my mindset is that I'm a hobbyist grinding at the craft to maybe one day reach success.

If I were an aspiring musician ready to "make it big now", then I'd probably look at the path that recent successful social media musicians took to build their following (if such people even exist), rather than look at the blueprint of people who were building their social media 11 years ago (Ola Englund, etc.).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 7:28 AM
  2. grigou

grigou SS.org Regular

That's a really clever advice and I think you're 100% right.
    It's always more easy to grow when there's almost no competition, but now, YouTube is a beast.

Nevertheless, I think it's possible to grow and succeed and YouTube even today. The personal branding is one key for that. People want
    authenticity.

3. HungryGuitarStudent

I agree that it's possible, but the probability of being successful vs the time put into the YT endeavor are what stop me. Hey, maybe I'll change my mind one day if I figure out a way to not make it so time consuming.

Authenticity is key, for sure. There's nothing worst than a guy trying to be the next Jared Dines or whatnot while reading from cue-card or making cringy jokes.

On another topic, what do you guys use to film your videos ?

4. grigou

grigou SS.org Regular

Yeah I understand that. The amount of work is oftenly huge for small results.

For my video, I use a Panasonic GH4. Really nice tool !

5. MSUspartans777

MSUspartans777 SS.org Regular

I agree that the possibility of making something out a youtube channel is really small. Youtube has been around so long that its oversaturated with content creators. Unless you're offering something truly unique I don't think it should be looked at as viable way to make money. Plus, the way their algorithm works means you need to be producing at least one video a day to gain some real traction. On the other hand I love making video covers of songs that I learned. Its just a hobby and I post them on YT just for fun. I like to look back and see that I truly learned a song all the way through. I don't mean to discourage anyone from trying. If its something you want to do then go for it.

6. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

^this so much! You said it better than i ever could. While i would never even consider that id get rich n famous, the idea of a bit of extra income if even to cover a pack of strings every month to help me along would be great.
    And likewise, even the miniscule amount of progress and recognition makes it worth it. I enjoy using gear demos as a vehicle to show some people my songs and engaging with those who show interest.

Sumsar likes this.
  7. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

I think the notion that all the good and big channels has already been created is wrong. Yes some old channels, like Ola's (which isn't really that big, considering the amount of time he has had it) are still going strong. But others like Keith Merrow has almost completely vanished, and still others keep going but doesn't seem as viral as they did earlier, like Jared Dines, Rob Scallon, StevieT and Rob Chapman. They never really jump into my YT feed anymore and I don't see them mentioned on this forum or fb groups anymore. New guys keep coming up, but I guess it is literally like 1 in a million that gets far.

I know that ofc one should be realistic about these things, but still it is 100% guaranteed that you will not make it if you come up with excuses for not even trying :lol:
    So I am doing it now. I have finished my education, have a nice 37 h/week job and don't yet have wife and kids, so now is the time to try and see if I can do anything with this format :)

gabito likes this.
  8. HungryGuitarStudent

Sure, there are odds you could make it, however slim they are, it’s possible, so all the best to you !! :)

gabito likes this.
  9. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

They told Misha he could never make a career out of just chugging zeros and ones with the mids cranked and bass rolled off, and now he has a Porsche.

Do you. Just have fun with it.

Until you have kids and a wife or three. Then pray for the sweet sweet release of the afterlife, where you can spend all day fighting and drinking beers with Ragnar instead of yelling at kid A to stop fighting with kid B...

What were we talking about again?

10. bassisace

bassisace SS.org Regular

I liked and followed all of you on YT a couple weeks ago and none have reciprocated. Not a big deal, but wasn’t that the whole point of this thread? Not a whole lot of scratching going on

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I think even then, you're too late and you'll be fighting too many other imitators.

Get creative. Think of other venues with good "network effects" that haven't yet been tapped, where you have a shot at being the first mover and the first person to really take advantage of that platform. A lot of management theory is pretty stupid and slogan-y, but the whole "red water" and "blue water" analogy, while silly, is worth thinking about - the opportunities lie in the blue water, where you're operating alone, while in the water already red with the blood of all the other feasting sharks, there just isn't enough opportunity and upside to make it worth trying to compete. Following the red water seems like a good branding strategy, but it's one that ensures you're always competing against bigger competitors.

12. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

i just scrolled through the entire thread and couldnt find any of your video posts. Maybe im blind?
    Admittedly I do have to catch up on some of the channels lol but i do plan on actually doing so!

13. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

The GAME OF TONES PREAMP by Master Effects Pedals.
    Update of the classic TC electronics preamp.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019 at 1:03 PM
  14. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Nicely done! I just liked and commented!

Gmork likes this.
  15. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot music projects ;)

littlebadboy likes this.
  16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Two comments related to this -

First, Youtube's recommendation algorithm is more tailored to what you've already watched, rather than what's "popular" in a genre. So if you're seeing less of Jared Dines and Rob Scallon, it's probably because you've watched fewer of their videos and, to a lesser extent, videos that YouTube considers similar to them lately. My youtube suggested videos are mostly backing tracks, Global Cycling Network videos and Phil Gaimon/Worst Retirement Ever videos, and a couple of the cycling world equivalents of Jared Dines with splashy sensational headlines that I just ignore, with the majority of what I'm seeing mostly being driven by whatever the last few videos I watched were. So, that has less to do with Youtube or their channels than it does your own watching habits, I suspect (though, in the case of Keith Merrow, I suspect it's also partly his channel just isn't really active anymore, because he now has a full time music industry job with Seymour Duncan, I believe).

Second, I don't think anyone is saying "all the big channels have already been created" or "don't even try," so much as just be very realistic about how much the deck is stacked against you. Youtube channels benefit strongly from network effects, where having a lot of subscribers helps your videos get watched, having a lot of people watch your videos help get you more subscribers, and lots of views plus lots of popular videos tends to put you higher in the suggested video results for people viewing or searching for videos like yours. So, it's not that you CAN'T run a successful channel if you're just starting out.... But it's exponentially harder to start a new channel and have it become extremely successful, than it is to keep a successful channel running successfully. So, by all means, go out and post your music on youtube... But the odds of you becoming the next bulb or Ola or Merrow or Dines or whatever are like 0.0000000001%. If this is your principle strategy for "making it" in music, then calling it a hail mary strategy isn't even fair because it radically overstates the odds of you getting some sort of break. That's not being a hater or making excuses for not even trying, that's being realistic.

Gmork likes this.
  17. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

I agree with you on many points. My recommend these days are mostly Ola, GCN, Scott Manley, LTT and various metal music. And you are probably right that nowadays the algorithm shows you more of what you want. Some years ago it always showed what was really popular, but not what you necessarily wanted.

I guess the big question is how to go about trying to get your music out there and be heard. Right now I am trying the YT / internet approach as a sole musician and see how that goes. Previously I have done the 'Release a couple of albums, do paid promotion on certain sites, place adds, try to get reviewers to review your music etc' and the 'write some songs, play live'. None of the approaches has been that succesfull, although I have enjoyed the process. So now I am at this step.
    Another method which seems to work fairly well around these parts is the 'Write songs that work well in a live setting, play as many shows as you can', though I have had a lot of trouble over the years with finding people that are good enough players and can also consistently show up at rehearsal, which has sort of stopped me from taking that approach.

18. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Btw I also did a new video today:

Cover of the first Emperor song I ever heard. Dunno what it is but I am doing a bunch of covers lately. You learn a lot from it, even if it isn't super original to do them.

Gmork likes this.
  19. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

I haven't been uploading much lately, but I do playthroughs and transcription videos. I'm getting close to 1,000 subscribers, and I'd greatly appreciate you guys helping me get to that milestone. For the time being, I'm focusing on putting out more official tab books, but I do have some video ideas floating around. Also hoping to do some interviews.

Gmork likes this.
  20. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I mean, this has always been the traditional way of "making it" as a musician, with things like youtube or discussion forums being a niche alternative that's worked for a handful of folks. Even then, Periphery plays shows, you know?

Beyond that, I don't think there are any secret strategies for success. Write good music, perform it well, record it well, and then however you choose to put it out there for consumption, if you can get your music - the songs, the playing, the recording and mastering - to the point where people are so impressed they want to share it with other people, you'll get an audience. I think that's the hard part, way more than anything strategic with what you do on your Youtube channel.

That's also the part I'm stuck on, so there's that. :lol:

EDIT - I guess, related to my post above this one... Think of it like being a merchant platform on the internet. Sure, anyone with the right skillset and equipment and some startup capital can do it... But just because Etsy pulled it off, does DrewsOnlineEmporium.com really have any realistic chance of drumming up enough traffic to compete with Amazon? That's the kind of "network effect" I'm referring to, where a platform is relatively more attractive than the alternatives when it has more users than the alternatives. There are MASSIVE economies of scale on youtube, where if you're already successful your new videos will be much more successful than other people's new videos.