Show Me Your YouTube Channel! Let's Scratch Each Others Backs

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Gmork, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Live vid of my band last sunday. Figured id share it. we wore cowboy hats. It was fun lol.

littlebadboy and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  2. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

You won the internet today, as the kids say.

Soya likes this.
  3. grigou

grigou SS.org Regular

Hello guys !
    This is my new channel dedicated to ambient backing tracks.
    Hope you like it and find some interest in this track to improvise :)

nateispro likes this.
  4. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Lots of good stuff getting posted in here - good to see.

Again let us try to get the conversation going about how to do youtube:

How many subs do you have now, how many did you have in the start of the year? What is the hardest part for you?
    Think I stated the year with about 20 and is currently at 75.
    Hardest thing for me right now is to keep the momentum to just do more videos. Things has been going a lot faster since I hit 50 subs 1½ months ago, and I know that once you reach the 100 and maybe 200 mark things go even faster.

I also did a new video today, this time a cover of one of my favorite Marduk songs: The Blond Beast.
    Pretty weird BM song, but totally works!

Also trying a new thing where instead of posting links to videos directly on places like facebook or instagram I did a little teaser, which is basicly 30 seconds of the chorus in the song and then upload that directly to whatever platform and then leave links in the comments section.

5. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

I made demo videos. Some of them got 1k views. I made videos of my own music, and I got less than 70 views. So I concluded, nobody is interested in somebody's music unless you are popular. So, I will stick to demos.

And oh... I got close to 10k views in total for all videos but only got 70+ subs. I don't get it. I'll try harder to promote.

6. johnucol

johnucol New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

I rarely upload stuff on mine, but here it is.

littlebadboy likes this.
  7. grigou

grigou SS.org Regular

I think people are searching mostly for music they already know and love.
    Maybe also a small channel is equal to non professional music in people's minds, and for them, non professional music is equal to bad music. So they think the music isn't interesting to hear.

And maybe I'm totally wrong :)

What do you think ?

8. Kirill5412

Kirill5412 K.I.R.

Hello guys!
    I’m excited to present the third volume of Riff Bros!
    Don’t look for much sense in it for it is a friendly collaboration of people who share a common passion for music :)

Thanks for watching!

Gmork and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  9. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

That's totally normal. Even the big guitar youtubers get almost no views on their own music. Fluff, Jared, StevieT etc. For a small channel, you'll perform even worse because nobody has any sort of loyalty or awareness of you. People might search for a video about something they're thinking of buying. But if they watch your video, what reason do they have to subscribe and commit to seeing more of you? And what possible interest do they have in your own compositions?

Ola got more views on "I bought a house" (114k) than his new music single (105k). Subsequent songs from the album got less than 1/2 of those views (48k and 18k). Nobody gives two shits about your music basically.

Kmac's worst videos from the last two years are both original music releases. The best got 102k, while his average video gets 500k easily and several have millions.

So your view/subscriber count is not strange at all. That's how the Internet works nowadays.

A general rule is 1% engagement. So out of 100 viewers, one might interact in some way - liking, subscribing. And the more you ask people to do (such as commenting), that percentage goes down by another factor of 100.

Look at this recently popular SSO thread:
    Be careful with Steiner Kraus Guitars.

3,500 views, but 65 replies (1.8%), but only around 20 participants (0.6%). Presumably that's total views, not unique, but it still shows the point.

Or this popular video from Ola:

284,000 views, but only 10,000 people clicked like/dislike (3.5%) and 1,646 comments (0.6%)

And he has 84,000,000 views in total, but only 370k subscribers. And he's been uploading constantly and spamming the shit out of people to subscribe recently, which does seem to be working for him. But that's a ratio of 0.44% if you go by the crude metric of views to subscribers.

If you want my opinion, I just don't think the world needs more YouTubers, especially for gear. If you're starting a channel now and hoping for it to be popular, you're 5 years too late. That's especially true for gear.

The only way it succeeds now is if you have some unique "brand" - some gimmick which is at the right time and place and which the algorithm will select. Given what Youtube wants these days (3x weekly uploads, certain length for ad placements etc), it hardly seems worth it. You might grow it large enough one day that some company will send some free picks or strings or something.

littlebadboy likes this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

This whole thread reeks of desperation from people that think YT might be a viable income source at some point (it won't ). Maybe jump on Mixer or Twitch or FB and try to get some views, over there, I know some guitarists have had luck with that.
    My sister started a niche yt channel and it took her literally years to make any money. If anyone is making YT vids as anything more than a hobby at this point they're going to be sorely disappointed. Even big gaming channels struggle with keeping YT viable anymore, and those were the cash cows for years.
    The vids on my channel that have the most views are my demos of a cheap, relatively obscure pickup (warman destroyer) followed by my bkp ragnarok demo. I only uploaded my demo vids to YT because I thought they might be slightly useful to people outside of SSO.

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

100% agree. I've been saying the same thing, though where I'm erring on the side of tact, you're getting much more to the point. :lol:

I've had a Youtube channel for nearly a decade now, and it's been monitized for most of that time. I've probably made less than $300 in that entire time, over the better part of a million views. I don't know what sort of "success" you guys are hoping for, but the way I see it I've basically recouped the price of maybe one of the pickup sets I've demo'd over the years.

The extent I care is a whole bunch of people have told me the videos I've posted are helpful, and as far as I'm concerned that's enough.

USMarine75, littlebadboy and Gmork like this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

I've got around 26000 views over the last 3 years, and I've made 2 cents total :lol:
    I knew from the start that I would never ever make money at this, which was fine, that was never the point of me demoing gear.
    I started demoing pickups solely because I wanted to do it a certain way, which is the antithesis of most demos (eg I use the same guitar/strings/settings/riffs/cables/picks to try and minimize variables as much as possible). The fact that my demos have helped some people with pickup choices is a nice plus as well.

USMarine75, littlebadboy and Drew like this.
  13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Considering how often we've butted heads in politics threads, I think it's hilarious we do almost exactly the same things when comparing pickups, lol. And same. The only way I'm really hoping to "monetize" my channel is hoping a handful of people buy my album after poking around a bit. Other than that, the revenue share has probably covered the cost of the beer consumed while editing video. :lol:

Really, I just think the whole thing is kinda fun, and it's cool to hear from people who I've helped.

littlebadboy and KnightBrolaire like this.
  14. KnightBrolaire

I started demoing that way largely because I got fed up with all the "demos"/"comparisons" where people tried to extrapolate perceived sonic differences from different pickups in different guitars, or, if they actually managed to run multiple sets through the same guitar (like Keith's Duncan shootout/Simon Sludge's shootout), they ended up not going in depth enough for my taste/needs. Plus it's really fun for me just really like seeing how much some magnets and copper wire can change my sound. Helping people was a just a byproduct in my case.
    I think I could get like an 2ml pipette full of PBR with how much I've made right now :lol:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    littlebadboy and Drew like this.
  15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Well, happy to buy you a beer if you're ever in Boston, from my, ahem, massive earnings. :rofl:

16. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Dammit youre on to me lolol. I originally started just to provide the types of demos i myself wanted to see but could never find (death metal centric chugging) but admittedly i def started envisioning sitting around in my underwear all day playing guitar for a living lol
    Im old, tired...... And yes desparate lol.
    I should probably tone down the cringefest lolol.
    Luckly i DO enjoy making vids just as a hobby.

USMarine75 and littlebadboy like this.
  17. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

I find all of the above great advice! Thank you!

18. nateispro

nateispro SS.org Regular

I enjoy just having that on in the background:agreed: It's really nice and doesn't distract me from what I'm doing!

I just finished this up to show off my new Lundgren M8 pickup and the Omega Ampworks D.I Kemper pack. Super simple riff to get some ideas for the tones!

19. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

It think you are mistaken people just wanting to have their music heard with teenagers who want to become millionaires playing computer with a crowd :lol:

For me anyway I know perfectly well that this is never going to be a tool for generating more than coffee money and that is fine. My goal is to have my music heard, be it through gear demos with my music or videos with my actual music. And even with a small shitty channel I have I am already getting some of what I want.

Before starting this YT thing I spend years in bands, writing songs, making demos, trying to get gigs, trying to keep a band together and then when you finally land a gig, you play for 20 people and that happens like 2 times a year. Yes I know you can do a lot better than that, but that is the luck I had with bands.

So the goal for youtube was to be heard by more than 40 people/year hehe. And so far it seems that 50 people a day are listening to my playing and song writing and a few %1 is probably a good estimate, are even commenting saying "Cool riffs" / "great track" / "great playing" etc. Which for me is really fulfilling. Ofc I want that to grow so maybe 500 people / day will hear my playing and be like "that dude writes some killer riffs, plays great and does a decent mix". In that context I think it is a very satisfying hobby.

My 'original' (read: not original at all) approach is to make the highest quality demos and lessons I can, but focusing more on the kind of black metal / death metal I hear, which I find is not really covered that greatly already. I think there is actually the space for content like that. Much more than trying to be the next djent / dad rock channel, which does seem super saturated.

Gmork likes this.
  20. grigou

grigou SS.org Regular

Thank a lot for your kind comment ! I don't even expected that way of using my track ! That's nice to know :)