Show me your Dean Custom Shop guitar

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Najka, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Najka

Najka SS.org Regular

Where are all the Dean Custom shops? A quick Google search will only get you a couple RC7/8 models with a nice top or a different wood selection. I want to see some real Custom Shop orders!

Dean USA Guitars - Made in the USA

2. DjentDjentlalala

DjentDjentlalala SS.org Regular

Ibanez? What?

3. Najka

Najka SS.org Regular

Step 1. Go to www.google.com
    Step 2. Click on Images
    Step 3. Type in: Custom Ibanez
    Step 4. Enjoy Custom Ibanez Pictures :hbang:

Note: Italy is Awesome

If you were wondering how to order a custom shop Ibanez, just call up a Guitar Center, they can hook you up with one.

Check out Ibanez JEM series

[​IMG]

4. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

What? Since when can you order customs from Ibanez? They will sell you a J-custom but those arent actually custom ordered.

5. DjentDjentlalala

Yeah,Ibanez doesnt offer actual customs,but the J Customs are pretty awesome guitars nonetheless.

And about Italy,believe me,you wouldnt want to be here now, :lol: our politic situation in all messed up.

6. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

7. DjentDjentlalala

Those USA Customs were an actual series from the 90s,but still not real customs,they were a production run.Anyway,let's keep the thread going.

8. Najka

Najka SS.org Regular

yeah well... Ehem.. Luckily this guy has like 5 songs on sound cloud... Sooooo I'm kind of a pretty big artist. 3 plays yesterday, 1 plays today :hbang: (I know, I'm an extremely modest guy. You don't have to tell me)

9. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

ahahha not sure 'bout that mate :lol:

10. Najka

Najka SS.org Regular

Is it really that bad there? I spent some time in Florence... Sure I acted just like I was from the U.S. but the City was amazing, I'm in love with the scenery, architecture and history. Italy has real personality. I had some fun in bologna too! It's not like that in the U.S. especially in this shitty area of FL. All the dumb bimbo college kids are here throwing up all over and killing themselves over spring break.

11. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

i just about shit my pants when i read that

12. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

I think this is a record in thread derailment - 1 post. :p

I'd really like to see any Dean custom shop V's though. I've seen the Karl Sanders V with it's enormous headstock, but other than that, nadda.

13. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

I browse the Dean Forum every once in awhile, and it seems like all the new guitars people are getting from the Custom Shop anymore are arriving with major issues.

14. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

Dean sucks
    /thread

15. willis7452

willis7452 SS.org Regular

What's with all the hate on Dean, I've had some amazing Deans and id love to see some customs

16. Zerox8610

Zerox8610 SS.org Regular

Had a Dean and it was awful. Some of theirs look cool though.

17. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

I'd say this post on the Dean Forum sums up what's wrong with the company nowadays:

The Official Dean Guitars Forum - The Best Guitar Forum Anywhere!!!

18. Guitarman700

Guitarman700 SS.org Regular

19. AhsanU

AhsanU pew pew.

Well, if you read on - Dean eventually fixed the issue. I'm not exactly excusing their behaviour but at the very least, they've fixed the problem.

I've been a Dean Guitars player for a while. I currently own 2 imports (that I've modified beyond stock recognition), 1 USA made, and one custom shop USA made. I've owned many other imports and USA made guitars by them in the past as well. So take my opinion based off my experience with them for at least 6 years of ownership.

Dean Guitars has its moments of brilliance, and failure. With their USA made guitars - I've had nothing but amazing experiences. I've owned the Rust Razorback, and the Razorback V Skulls that I own now and I love(d) them. They were top-notch quality with little to no issues cosmetically or anything. For the right price, I would not pass up a USA made Dean.

However, their custom shop blows. I recently received this amazing guitar from their custom shop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A link to the NGD thread can be found here!

The reason why I say their custom shop blows is because it really isn't a custom shop. That and the fact they take a while to custom make anything. The guitar showed above is simply a Razorback V with an extra string and gold inlays. I actually wanted a 26" scaled neck, or a 26.5, but their "custom shop" didn't have the tools for that. I mean, really? One of the largest guitar manufacturers can't do something that nearly every other luthier/guitar company can? On top of that, the guitar took nearly 17 months to make. I ordered it September 2010 and received it March 2012. An extremely long wait for a Razorback V with an extra string. I didn't ask for anything ludicrous or completely whacky (like a custom paint job or crazy designs), but still got hit with their long wait. Not to mention, I recently asked a dealer if they could get in contact with Dean and make me a guitar they made for Trivium, but slightly different to avoid any issues with them - I got no response. The same dealer got in contact with them for my custom shop guitar, so I know it's not them. It's just Dean being butthurt and not even wanting anything to do with anything Trivium related, even though I'm a customer that has paid for a custom shop guitar in the past. I also asked for build pictures of the guitar while it was going through its various stages since it was my first custom shop guitar ever - and I got jack squat.

However, with that said - the guitar itself is amazing. I completely love it and it plays and sounds perfect. So was it worth the wait? Maybe. Would I do it again? Nope. I'm looking at building a custom shop Jackson now. I spoke to a dealer and apparently Jackson's custom shop doesn't take more than 5-6 months to build a guitar to any specs. So they should expect my business soon.

Their import guitars.. where to even begin. Basically, anything from 2007 to 2011 or 2012 even, blows. Simply stay away from imported guitars that are older. The quality of their Korean guitars speaks for itself. They're mostly horrendous and lack quality control. Dean has however, cleaned up their act and are finally producing decent quality imported guitars. Their new lineup of stuff is definitely worth looking into, and if there are any issues with them - exchange 'em. If you're buying an imported Dean, be sure you have the option to return/exchange just in case.

It's also nice that they're finally starting to stray away from the Dime image. They are starting to build less and less Dime related products. So the company feels like it's maturing and is starting to make more serious products that can compete with the likes of Jackson and ESP and what-not. Hopefully they start building Korean guitars that can be compared to Agile or other Korean made stuff.

I guess the main point of my post is this - Dean is not perfect. They have amazing guitars, and then they have lemons. Their USA made guitars are of a whole other level. They play great, sound great, and are amazing overall. Just like every other company, they can produce a crappy guitar, but this should not completely tarnish their reputation. Their USA made guitars should not be confused with their imports too. Their imports have sucked in the past, but are looking much better these days.