Should I return this Indonesian Boden Original 7?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by surge, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

mine came “inspected” with seized hardware, the zero nut was wayyyyy to high, crap fret work, and there was a hole at the nut.

2. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

You can but it requires a scan and specific programming to do it, which no one will do for you because they're such a small part of the market.
    I was told this today by a PLEK operator so I assume what he said is true.

eclecto-acoustic likes this.
  3. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Every time that Strandberg has shifted the factory they use, the quality has gotten worse and worse.
    (USA -> Korea -> Indonesia -> China)

I mean, look, Ola is a smart businessman for shrinking production costs while maximizing profit, but the whole goal behind shifting to overseas Asian manufacturing ought to have been to make the Strandberg designs more affordable (and thus more widespread), because when the Strandberg guitars were being made in the USA, they were super pricey with an extremely tiny margin for profit. Yet, obviously now with the current factories that are producing the guitars, the opposite of the expected (making the guitars more affordable) has taken hold as prices for Strandberg continue to rise, rise, rise (so that Ola can try to rake in profit) while the hype behind Strandberg continues to die, die, die.

Remember when everyone wanted a Strandberg to try out? Yeah, those days are long gone now.

I honestly still can't believe that Strandberg is now at the point where they are just rehashing the same design with different aesthetic variations and/or ever so slight tweaks, but continuing to jack up the price each time. Meanwhile, here on the forums, we're noticing the continually decreasing quality.

I knew it was downhill for Strandberg after the closure of the Swedish shop (which wasn't getting enough business to be profitable) and the debacle with switching Indonesian and Chinese factories to supposedly test new mass production methods (read as "further cut production costs") for the Strandberg stuff.

4. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic "That" guy.

MIC models from them are new to me. Is this documented anywhere?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  5. SCJR

SCJR SS.org Regular

The Singularity was made in China at one point and for all I know in some iteration may still be. The Classic was originally made in China was well. That anime model I think too and I'm sure there were others.

eclecto-acoustic likes this.
  6. eclecto-acoustic

OK, well a few models here and there I can see more (and I do recall the Singularity now that you mention it...I think it was specifically because of the finish), but those aren't wholesale factory moves like it was from Korea to Indonesia.

7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Isn’t the classic still MIC?

8. eclecto-acoustic

According to their website, they are made in Indonesia.

This is for the Classic 7, but it says the same thing for the 6s with the trem:

• Bolt-On Construction
    • Solid Body with Arm, Torso and Heel Carves
    • White (Ghost White) / Black (Graphite) Pearloid Pickguard
    • Alder Body
    • Available Finishes: Ghost White/Graphite Semi-gloss Metallic
    • Approximate Weight
      • 2,5 kg / 5,5 lbs +/- 10% (7-string)
      • 2,6 kg / 5,7 lbs +/- 10% (8-string)
    • Manufactured in Indonesia

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The only readily available Strandbergs that have solid quality are the J Bodens. Everything else, and I do really mean everything else, has been either outright sketchy, massively underwhelming, wildly inconsistent, or a combination thereof.

10. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

the new classics are made in Indonesia now.
    along with all their other guitars.

Hollowway likes this.
  11. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Looks like brands owned by guys named "Ola" are going downhill in QC nowadays :lol:

12. SCJR

SCJR SS.org Regular

Based on the examples I've picked up and played it seems the first run of the multi-line (Fusion, Metal, etc.) approach is where the most consistent QC and build quality was. The OS I had was a joke and the '20 Classic 6 was fine but underwhelming overall. But a good part of that was the useless generic stock pickups and the rounded off Endurneck they're doing on the MII models. That alone would keep me away from anything from that factory.

Never played any of the USA or Swedish custom shop but sounds like that might have been an even bigger headache going by what I've seen other people talk about from the time when they were open. I've heard horror stories of S*7 and Washburn in general so not surprised that went south.

I'll play a J-berg one day. Maybe...If anyone's selling one for approx $2500 let me know lol.

mheton likes this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

Used 6-strings pop up for that much but they get scooped up FAST.

SCJR likes this.
  14. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Nailed it.

Ah, so production of everything (every model) has been moved and consolidated to one factory in Indonesia now. Makes sense.

:lol:

Hollowway likes this.
  15. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

The Swedish Custom Shop Strandberg I had was the single worst example out of all the different versions I've owned and played. I found the OS series to be perfectly solid, despite the negativity I see from others—I guess I just got lucky. The handful of MIIs I've played have actually been pretty acceptable too. I had great experience with the Washburns though. I think I owned 4 or 5, and they were anywhere from really good to great. The only one I truly wish I'd held on to was one from the Koa run. Sure had a disappointing top, but was far an away the best sounding Strandberg I've ever heard. I keep hoping it pops back up for sale one day.

SCJR likes this.
  16. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

Pretty sad to see .strandberg* going down the gutter quality wise honestly. Used to be a fan (pun intended) and spoke highly of their guitars.. But I can't really anymore after my own experiences and hearing others' accounts.

17. mheton

mheton SS.org Regular

I ordered a Strandberg boden original 7 string and I am underwhelmed by there QC. Bad action, paint drops, sharp frets, bridge PU with a loose contact. I really dig the design, weight and the feeling, but for this pricepoint? As someone said Ola might be a clever business man, but with this quality the hype will soon be gone...

18. SCJR

SCJR SS.org Regular

Not defending their QC at all but outside of that it does it seem that 2 mm+ action is the norm for a lot of manufacturers' shipped guitars for whatever reason. I'd like mine ideally half of that so not saying that I like it but seems a lot of companies ship that as standard. Like how PRS says they pride themselves on being gig-ready right out of the box. Well yeah when the action is that cranked you're clearing any possible high spots just fine lol.

Unless the casual majority really is happy with 2-2.5 mm action? Might as well play an acoustic at that point.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  19. MaxOfMetal

They ship with relatively high action because most of them need fretwork, neck joint adjustment, and/or bridge rebuilds in order to get lower.

Nlelith, SCJR and aesthyrian like this.
  20. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

savage :lol:

SCJR likes this.