Should i get a real bass instead of using bass sims?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Roykim34, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Roykim34

Roykim34 SS.org Regular

there's no real bass guitars in my recordings currently. i use bass sims, and my guitar sounds really like a real bass. i'm quite happy with the sound but are there advantages to using a real bass guitar as opposed to using effects to make the guitar sound like a bass?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

If you dig it, that's all that matters.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It depends on what you care about - if what you have sounds good, and that's all that matters to you, then there's no point in getting another instrument. If you want the real sort of feel and articulation of using an actual instrument, then get a bass. Or if you just want one, cause why not. Or if you want to challenge yourself.

IMO a bass is much more dynamic and difficult to deal with in a mix than a guitar or MIDI would be. To me, it's worth that extra challenge, but that's not universal.

Geisterfaust likes this.
  4. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Well, if you're just doubling the rhythm guitar an octave lower with root notes, there's probably not much of a point. But honestly, the fact that it's a real instrument that can be very easily picked up by even a fairly mediocre guitar player is enough of an advantage, imo. You can just get a cheap Squier or a used one, and call it a day.

5. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

If you can, yes. You will be forced to play it at least a little differently than guitar, and probably write some better bass lines as a result.

Zhysick likes this.
  6. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Real instruments should always be the goal post imo. There are always circumstances that inhibit ideal scenarios with home recording; but playing a real bass makes you a better musician, and learning to track/mix real instruments makes you a better engineer.

7. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

As someone struggling to do all of this who doesn't even have engineering aspirations, yes :lol:

DudeManBrother likes this.
  8. MSS

MSS SS.org Regular

If you have the budget yes, otherwise Ez Bass is pretty awesome.

RobPhoboS likes this.
  9. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Real bass will typically sound better than a guitar mimicking a bass or bass samples. There's no harm in faking it if you enjoy the outcome, as Max has said that's what truly matters, but I find the sound of a proper bass is always more ideal to me.

As far as samples go, there are some pretty great sounding ones out there, but there's always just something you can't do. Like, I remember wanting to program guitar/bass tracks way back when and there was always a handful of moments where you're like "I wish this sample hit harder/softer/differently." It's why I picked up guitar and bass to begin with.

10. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Get a used budget 4 string (tune BEAD / AEAD if you're a seven string player) and a single used Duncan or EMG active pickup

This $100-ish solution will blow your bass sim out of the water

Masoo2 likes this.
  11. Mike_R

Mike_R SS.org Regular

I think the "sounds like a real bass" thing might have a bit of nuance associated with it. I'm not saying I am doubtful of your results, but I know for me personally I had a hard time "hearing" the bass (outside of mixes where it really pokes out or is prominent on its own) until I bought a bass and started playing it. It really opened up my ears and I am appreciating albums I have listened to many times before in a new way.
    If you played bass with a pick that might cut down slightly on the differences audible a mix where the bass is doubling guitar parts, but playing a bass with fingers opens up some new patterns and dynamics that I don't think would be accessible using a guitar to simulate a bass.

12. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

I highly recommend getting a real bass. They're super fun to play!

If you're writing, it just gives you another starting point that has a familiar feel as a regular guitar. It'll just add a new dynamic to your writing instead of starting with guitar chugs all the time.

I have 3 myself and I'll probably get an extend range one at some point.

sterling bass tuned to D standard
    Fender Jaguar bass 2014 red (american) tuned to B flat standard (it's a tad too low of a tuning for it, but whatever)
    line6 variax bass that I never use, but it's fun to have.

Get a real bass.. Join the club! It's fun dude. trust me. All the kids are doing it these days. lol

Cyn__Theia likes this.
  13. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

"You won't BELIEVE this guitarist's one WEIRD trick to getting bass sounds out of a REAL instrument! The answer will shock you..."

14. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Get a Fender Rhode. Not the cheapest solution tho...

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Well, might as well go all in -> Get a Dingwall Super J and the oldest and heaviest SVT and 8x10 you can find. Also, because it's sevenstring, add a B7k for maximum Darkglass grind.

Masoo2 and budda like this.
  16. TheBloodstained

TheBloodstained Casual music entusiast

I've used VST bass for quick demos, and you can get a great sound from that, but imo there's just something about a real performance that a software instrument would never be able to capture or replicate, and I think part of it is how sloppy human organisms really are, and ultimately that "organic feel" is often more pleasing to our ears :)

...and bass was actually my main instrument for many years, so I might be a little bit biased! I love a good solid low end! :wub:

Adieu likes this.
  17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

depends on what you want to do. If its a quick demo/composition tool, then stick to your plugins. If you are more serious about recording, then get a real bass, also if you jsut want to learn some songs on it. Some songs(and music styles) are more enjoyable in one instrument than the other.

miiiiiight do the job, but I really doubt it

at the end of the day I dont know why you even bothering to ask this question, ask any of your music friends to borrow a bass for one day.... and if you dont have any mate with one, then go to a store and rent a bass for a day, pretty cheap thing to do and that would give you all the answers that you asking. Much better than any of us can tell you.

but yeah, get a bass

18. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

Yes, get a bass... They're super fun I swear! There's nothing like that low end rumble and thump you can from playing one.

2 of mine:

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 10.58.40 AM.png 20200813_105932.jpg

Adieu and Choop like this.
  19. Choop

Choop n______n

For the purpose of getting a scratch track or demo done your current methods should be fine, but playing a real bass will sound more dynamic and they're also just awesome!

20. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I'm going to add a counter and say for most metal purposes you're fine with a quality VST (Impact Studios, Submission Audio, EZBass, hell even the older stuff like Texas Grind and Massive Metal Bass work fine). They're dynamic enough for recording purposes and sound great. TONS of metal records have been realized using plugin basses and half the time you can't even tell, and the other half you don't generally mind because the consistency and tone helps the mix rather than hurts it. Buster Odeholm's work is all plugin bass and it sounds absolutely fantastic, he's the one who put out the Impact Studios bass plugins.

I had a very nice bass, a Music Man Stingray 5HH, but oh my god was that the hardest time I ever had trying to get a semi-usable tone. I seriously could never get it to sound good, it played beautifully (those necks are amazing) but the sound just wasn't there and I realized that many basses have overly unique sound characteristics which was something I had not experienced before in electric guitars.

Had I heard a video like this I probably would have purchased a different bass or just stuck to plugins form the beginning -