Should I get a 7 or 6 string?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by ky_, Sep 14, 2020.

1. ky_

ky_ SS.org Regular

I've been looking into getting my first electric guitar rig recently. I'm not a beginner guitarist but I've never owned an electric before. I want to have a fairly versatile guitar because I already have my mind set on starting with songs from Tim Henson, Ichika Nito, and Tosin Abasi. I'm conflicted between getting a 6 or 7 string because I'm not really a fan of the designs of a lot of the 7 strings in my budget of around ~400 (and i'm mostly looking into used guitars). If I were to get a 7 string I'm leaning towards the ibanez rgms7 because I like the versatility of the pickups, but I dislike the glossy black color and would like to have a tremolo. If I were to get a 6 string, i would get a Yamaha pac512/pac112vm or a jackson adrian smith sdx. I plan to run the guitar through amplitube 4 or bias fx 2 but I havent even started looking into audio interfaces yet so if you have tips about that I would appreciate it too.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

About a decade ago I said "Go with the 7-string, it has a built-in 6-string". All them years later, it still holds true.

That said, get the guitar that makes you the happiest, damn the number of strings.

3. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Whenever I think about getting a 6-string, I keep asking myself "okay, but you know you'll just be annoyed when you want to reach that lower note, right?" and I keep drifting to a 7-string.

If you want to try a 7-string, then get one.

I play music, odibrom and Merrekof like this.
  4. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar come├ža...
    7 is the lucky number, right?