Should i buy an axe fx ii xl?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by RHEX-7, Jan 27, 2016.

1. RHEX-7

RHEX-7 SS.org Regular

does the axe fx have direct out for recording?

2. remus1710

remus1710 SS.org Regular

yes... u can record via usb

3. haieb

haieb SS.org Regular

The Axe and Kemper are two different units. The Kemper uses profiles, which means that you have to buy some or make your own ones if you are not happy with what you find on the unit or the community. I have not a lot of experience with it and can't tell you how hard it is to find your own sounds. All I can say is it sounds really good and I see that ppl are happy with it. Tha Axe on the other hand is a modeler, so you don't need anything to create the sound in your head (Well except of impulses ;) ). It has endless possibilities and it blows me away with what I can do with it. It is flexible as hell and has out and inputs and a lot of possibilietes(I can even play with my bandmate on only one unit when we jam at my home). If you know basic amp and routing stuff, it is easy to use, so I really don't get why ppl say that it is hard to use. Both Unit sound phenomenal but you have to figure out what kind of workflow you want :) I hope I could give you a quick overview.

4. vertibration

vertibration SS.org Regular

I just bought a 5150 iii 50W and it sounds insane. I use the preamp out into my audio interface with my cab plugged in, and a dummy cable head into the headphone out to silence the cab. Then I just use Cab impulses. The benefit of getting a tube head, is obviously sound, but also most new heads offer recording versatility like the 5150 iii. I did a 12 payment plan 0 interest with american musical, and the amp costs me $80 a month. Super affordable, and my tones never sounded better. You have some serious cash on you dude. If I were you, I would get a nice tube head that has a line out or preamp out for recording direct, a few pedals like Protone overdrives, and Strymons. It will cost you so much less than what you wanna spend on that Axe, and no matter which way you look at it, your tones will be better than an Axe.

5. RHEX-7

RHEX-7 SS.org Regular

okay now my last option, torpedo reload. half the cost of both the kemper and axe but im only restricted to the 2 amps i have. the 6505+ and the 6534+. however theyre real power tube amps so id assume the tone would be insane. out of those 3, what should i be going after?

6. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

If you're happy enough with just those two amps, Torpedo will be a fine option. If you want a much wider variety of tones and effects though, Axe-FX II or Kemper are the way to go. Of course it's all subjective, but I don't think a good tube amp will necessarily give you a better tone than those two units, especially when it comes to recording. It's been pretty widely accepted now that Kemper/Fractal have the capacity to give you tones equally as great as any nice "real" amp. There's also the Fractal AX-8, which is $1300 or $1400 and a great option if effects aren't as important to you.

I sold all my amps and most of my pedals to get the Kemper, and haven't looked back. I'm well past the honeymoon phase, and it's still the best purchase I ever made. It seems like you just need to figure out what features are most important to you, and do some more research and clip listening.

7. RHEX-7

RHEX-7 SS.org Regular

the decision is so hard x[ ill never have 2000+ at one time ever again. or at least anytime in the near or relative future. (claiming a kid for taxes that ive been taking care of this past year) i am now back home so i cant claim next year. i have other things i need to buy too. so if i had that 1000 left over thatd be very helpful. so i guess it all boils down to what i like most. if i can find an axe fx for 1500 ill be on my way to tone city in a heartbeat lol other than that ill be checking out the ax-8 you mentioned and the kemper

8. haieb

haieb SS.org Regular

I don't get why ppl still think that a tube amp will give you better sound. It is equal and you won't be able to tell a difference in an a/b test. Look at all the professionals recording and touring with these things, and why are ppl saying that a lot of them sound even better/cleaner now? On top of that "better" is always subjective. I myself would never go back to a tube amps, it was the best purchase I've ever did in my life. The package you'd get with an axe is unbeatable for that price :) I think you'll have to figure out what you want to achieve with the gear. A studio? Axe/Kemper would be the best choice. If you only plan to play in your home than this stuff is obviously too much.
    Do you record a lot? Do you play in a Band? Do you travel with gear? Do you play different styles of music? Do you record for other ppl? Do you play a lot in front of a pc or in the Studio? Do you want to experiment with sounds and create something unique?
    A lot of questions that will give you a clear path where to go :)

9. RHEX-7

RHEX-7 SS.org Regular

i guess im getting the axe. lol but then id have to buy a power amp. does playing an axe through an actual amp sound okay?

10. haieb

haieb SS.org Regular

It depends :D Every power amp has its coloration. So if you like the amp you have at the moment, then the chance is high that it will be between okay and very good :) I didn't like how it sounded through my mesa, because the coloration was too much. But I think you'll get rid of an axe pretty quick if you really don't like it ;) Just give it a shot!

11. Crescendo

Crescendo Surgical

If he plans to play outside the bedroom too like he said, then yes the axe could be a good investment. And don't get discouraged by how complicated the machine is and end up selling it. That's the only reason I could think of for why he wouldn't like it after a while, but I've heard that the presets sound instantly good. So you could go from there.

12. vertibration

I think Axe and Kempers are great, but if you wanna get the most bang for your buck, get the torpedo, and a rack case that can hold a tube head with additional rack ears for the torpedo and a power supply. You could find tube head cases with rack ears and wheels so if you wanna play live, you dont have to bring a cabinet, as the torpedo can go direct, and you can use whatever impulses you want live. Just sayin as an option. Otherwise get an Axe, I just prefer tube over modeling

13. RHEX-7

RHEX-7 SS.org Regular

im looking for the cheapest model of xls and i wont have my money for a few weeks. federal is taking forever to go through for everyone around me for some reason. so ive got til then. i should have enough left over if the computer parts im buying doesnt take up too much money.

14. haieb

haieb SS.org Regular

Just go for any of the models of the axe Fx II imo. Doesn't really have to be an xl. Look up for the differences between the xl and the mkII. Nothing that you'd probably really need. What could hurt is the incompatibility of the presets. The MkI/MkII can't read the Xl presets, but the Xl can read MkI/MkII presets. I personally don't really need to use others presets, so it wasn't worth the money. So if you save some bucks there you could get a used power amp.

15. RHEX-7

RHEX-7 SS.org Regular

ive already looked it all up. im going for the fx 2 xl because most of the patches i viewed were created on the xl. its not too much more.

16. vertibration

Good luck bro, I hope you make some good stuff with it. Let us know how it turns out. Rocktron 100W poweramp is affordable and a good place to start for live use.

17. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I just sold an axe fx xl and have a torpedo live coming today to use with my recto

the axe fx is a great unit. I eventually just got a bit sick of dealing with it. I don't need 226 amps , or whatever it is. at teh end of the day its another computer to deal with in my life. and I have enough . Maybe I'm simple but with my clean channel and both gain channels on my amp I can cover everything with some pedals

I'm hoping the torpedo will give me that at home in a silent recording package

18. Tomen

Tomen Genetically blessed

Kemper. Would give you a similar tone to what you would get from the two notes, exept a much larger selection of amps. With the right profiles you will get incredible results.

19. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

If you like your amps, the reload or the Live are excellent choices! I've had a few Kemper units and they are very nice, just not for me at this time. The Torpedo Live works beautifully for me recording, playing live to FOH, and for practicing late at night without waking everyone up! The ability to change cabinets can give you an immense amount of nice tonal variations on your amps.