Should I buy 2x12" instead of 4x12"?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mungiisi, Oct 5, 2020.

1. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Does it need to be moved? Yes - 2x12. No - 4x12.
    Do I need to be able to use it at low volume? Yes - 2x12. No - 4x12. Yes for 4x12 if your amp has gradual enough volume control to make up for the extra 3 dB of the 4 speaker setup and your living situation allows for the extra bass response.

Deadpool_25 and Choop like this.
  2. Choop

Choop n______n

If you get a Mesa cab of either config it wouldn't be hard to sell it and swap for the other if you found you needed to. 4x12 will just sound bigger -- that may or may not be a good thing depending on your band's sound and the kinds of venues you play it. It will feel cool though!

3. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

As others have stated, I think it all comes down to use case. In a band setting, the extra low end from a 412 will mostly disappear. Even at unmiced gigs a 212 should be more than enough to cut through.

I absolutely love my 412s and if I'm jamming at home that's always the way I'm going to go. Can't beat that extra bit of thump a big 412 provides. That said, if I ever start playing shows again there's no way I'm dragging a 412 to it.

4. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi The Mario Clash

412 takes up the same floor space of 212 (unless vertical) just taller. People are more desperate to get rid of them so you find better deals used often local, which brings us to the disadvantage of weight. Not all 412 are mega heavy, in fact my ported bass 210 is heavier.

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Fun fact: The Mesa 412 cab (like mentioned n the OP) is heavy as balls.

XPT707FX, aesthyrian, vilk and 4 others like this.
  6. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Dv mark makes a 50 lb 4x12, and a >25 lb 2x12. Fyi.

vilk and MASS DEFECT like this.
  7. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The only not very heavy 4x12 I have seen is the DV Mark Neo Classic. It's like 20 something kilos and sounded pretty good to me. It's still a large cab so even if it's not too heavy to transport, it might be annoying to fit in a smaller car.

8. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

412 distributes sound better, they are nicer even at low volume

Also there's no real reason to buy a new cab unless you want something specific you can't buy used locally. Pre-worn in speakers and generally less than half the price of new

Fvckit and budda like this.
  9. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

EDIT: Double post

10. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

One more vote for the DV Mark 4x12. That thing weighs as light as my ported 2x12. Amazing neo magnet speakers, too. Sounds very close to my Eminence legends V12.

11. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

That bears repeating. It seems pretty easy to find good used cabs for cheap. I mean, it's not awful to ship an amp head, but fuck shipping a cabinet. So people want to sell them locally, and it's not like there's a huge market for them in the first place; once you have a good one, you tend to use that even if you own multiple amp heads. Or at least a lot of people seem to do that.

12. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

If your balls are as heavy as a 4x12, you may consider a quick e-visit with your doctor.

XPT707FX, bostjan and budda like this.
  13. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

There's a local dude trying to sell a Mojotone Ultralight 2x12 (pine rather than birch) near me that he loaded with 10" Greenbacks for some weird reason. He's trying to sell it for about retail ... gonna bookmark it and wait for the inevitiable price drop. It will fit perfectly in a little spot in my office.

I could probably swap the speakers out for some 12" WGS speakers.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  14. mungiisi

mungiisi SS.org Regular

I'm playing with a band so loudness would not be a problem. Anyways, I think it boils down to the transportability - I don't necessary need the extra low end as we have a bass player anyways.

I'm anyways going to watch on the used market, let's see what I'm going to get.

15. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Just remember the amp stand for the 212.

Used prices will be roughly $100-$150 difference between 212 and 412.

16. Bogner

Bogner Rock N' Roll Machine

The right answer is always a 4x12. Preferably two of them for each head you use. If you have concerns about moving them around, get some wheels and a gym membership and stop being such pussies.

NickS likes this.
  17. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

I ended up with 2x12 (Emperor with Legend V12's) and owned the Recto 2x12 for a bit too. The Recto 2x12 is not light either (mine didnt have wheels or anything was like a cinder block to move), and my Emperor is oversized/bulky. It's not fun to move but could be worse. For a while I had matching 2x12's and dug it, just didnt need the volume. I am mainly a bassist and didnt need full on stage gear for guitar.

Something to be said about modular. On bass I downsized to 2 1x12's and love the rig (compared to my old 100+ lb 410's). If I needed huge stage volume I might get a big cab again but these days it gets the job done, can hang with loud guitar and drums and a single 1x12 is enough in most cases.

18. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Contributor

An oversized 2 x 12 will save your back, space in the car/van and still have great tone. 4 x 12s are great but they really aren't worth the hassle. I'm using a closed back orange 2 x 12 with my Triple Rectifier and it still kicks out huge low end.

19. boltzthrower

boltzthrower SS.org Regular

4x12 master race here, checking in. The they-all-sound-the-same-once-they're-mic'd argument holds little weight for me 'cause the #1 person I want to hear my delicious tone is myself. Sure, I'll play for a crowd, but playing for myself is priority #1, it's the reason I play to begin with - it's a lot more fun/inspiring when my guitar tone sounds/feels bad-f'ing a$$.

A 2x12 will never achieve the deep, ball rattling resonance from a low palm muted chord like a 4x12 can. 2x12 cabs are generally brighter than 4x12's and sound thin to me when I play with my band.

I had a Genz Benz (Oversized/ported) 2x12, it sounded loose and woofy, not tight and kind of scooped. I've had the same issue with oversized 4x12's. Tuning down to G# here, fyi, so maybe with a higher tuning the oversized cab would make more sense.

I find a 2x12 useful when I'm playing at home by myself 'cause unlike a 4x12 I don't have to turn it up super loud to get the high end presence I want out of it.

NickS likes this.
  20. frogunrua

frogunrua Lord of the Afros

If you think you will regret not getting the 4x12 then you should get the 4x12.

That being said, I have had both 2x12 and 4x12 orange cabs. It's not a huge difference but the 4x12 does have the extra girth and I'm a fan of it. I do not gig, so the 4x12 stays in it's place. However, it's not that bad of a move with some good casters and a decent sized vehicle. I can fit mine in the backseat of a regular sized prius along with our bass players 4x10 in the hatchback section.

If you find a really good deal on a used 2x12, don't be afraid to jump on it. They are still great imo. As others have said, get it an amp stand. Putting them on tilt can really change how it interacts with your ears. Much more in your face lol.