Shorter string lock bolts for Gotoh Floyd

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by wannabguitarist, Apr 1, 2020.

1. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

I really should have checked this before veneering the guitar, but it looks like the string lock screws on my Gotoh Floyd are slightly too long my Jackson's trem cavity:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I found these on Ebay but I'm not sure if they'll work because the the portion that locks the string in the saddles is a slightly different shape than the Gotoh locks:
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014327&icep_item=392264589063 vs
    [​IMG]

Any suggestions or recommendations for replacement bolts? The Gotoh bolts are about 48mm long and based off my rough measurements anything under 40mm will be 100% safe to use.

2. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Buy them and if they don't work, you lost 30$. Otherwise you'll have to make the route bigger. Pretty much all this hardware is very specific.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

How far off is it once intonated?

4. wannabguitarist

Yeah I'm starting to think that might be my only option.

Honestly, I'm not sure. Right now I have the low E set as far back as it can go on the second base plate hole, the A string is as far forward as it can go on the second base plate hole, and the D string is as far back as it can go on the first base plate hole. I most likely won't be able to avoid some contact on the low E, A, and G strings. Guitar is 24.75in and will be tuned one and half steps down.

5. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Could always do it the "fun" way. Chop it, thread it, lock a on a nut at the end or just cut a slot.

Outside of that, Schaller used to make ones that would fit, but I don't know if they still do. Same threading, shorter and fatter bolt.

wannabguitarist likes this.
  7. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

You could cut it shorter and thread the end and tap the saddle if needed too. Just get or borrow a tap and die set and make it shorter.

8. wannabguitarist

From what I've gathered there are two kinds of Schaller bolts. Shorter ones with the same form factor as Gotoh/OFR bolts, and fatter ones which are still available. The fatter ones will not fit through the back of the base plate on an OFR or Gotoh.

Decided to order the ones I linked above from Ebay. Seller said they fit on a Gotoh so we'll see.

aesthyrian likes this.
  9. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

The regular Floyd rose/schaller bolts are shorter (4-5mm) than the Gotoh ones.

Those fat, short Schaller bolts from their older tremolo design will not fit, you are right about that. But they also offer the regular bolts in that short length now , basically for those who want to upgrade their old schaller tremolo for their new lockmeister but don't have enough routing space for the regular bolts.

You should be fine with the regular bolts. Those shorter ones would limit your possible way for intonation

aesthyrian and wannabguitarist like this.
  10. wannabguitarist

After looking at the technical diagrams for the trems I pretty damn sure you're right! I wish the diagrams showed the actual bolt lengths for each trem, but the Floyd routing template calls for a 79.6mm long recess, which is the same length as my Jackson's recess. The OFR and Gotoh base plates are essentially the same size.

Thanks for the info :yesway:

aesthyrian likes this.
  11. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Don't want to be a smartass but I AM right :D been through this last year. The regular floyd rose bolts are shorter than the gotoh ones by the length of the head of the bolt for better visualization

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    wannabguitarist and aesthyrian like this.
  12. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

I don't have my gotoh stuff here right now but i am pretty sure the gotoh bolts were 44 mm, schaller/ofr 40mm and the short ones from schaller 34 mm.

And yes, gotoh and ofr base plates are almost identical. The only differ slightly due to inches vs mm i think

13. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

If you replaced the trem on your jackson for a gotoh, why don't you just use the bolts from the trem that was in there before?

aesthyrian likes this.
  14. wannabguitarist

The Jackson came with one of the lo-profile Takeuchi tremolos (JT580LP I believe). The bolts are extremely short and would not work on the Gotoh.

And Schaller offers 34 and 40mm bolts. I'm 95% certain the 40mm bolts will work but I'm gonna do some more measuring before ordering. The 34mm bolts won't affect my ability to intonate the guitar, but I'd like to fill the empty space in the cavity if necessary. Thanks again for that bit of information :yesway:

15. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

I tried the 34 mm bolts on my gotoh back then and they did not effect the intonation moving the saddle further back but up frint towards the neck. This could cause issues on the plain strings

16. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Is there issue with using them only where needed? Kinda like the shorter Hipshot fixed bridge saddles that come in different sizes, and some need shorter ones for their lowest string(s).

17. wannabguitarist

How would bolt length affect your ability to properly intonate the guitar? Is the bolt head coming in contact with the "tail" part of the baseplate and preventing you from moving the saddle forward?

18. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Yes that was the issue with the short bolts and the gotoh.