Shortage of Guitars?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Djedi, May 7, 2021.

1. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Double.

2. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

[​IMG]

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/style/guitar-sales-fender-gibson.html

Hollowway and sirbuh like this.
  3. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

At this point I just assume most guitar models exist solely as a CG render on the manufacturers website until I see one in real life

4. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

The whole Covid thing has been a wild ride, and turned out really different to how I expected

There was supposed to be massive job losses, people running out of money etc. Selfishly, I was looking forward to picking up some bargains.

Instead, now we have households sitting on a record amount of cash savings. Stock market has made stupid gains. I've been cashing out loads over the last year, anticipating a crash that hasn't come yet.

So along with record cash savings, there are supply shortages. And governments just snapped their fingers and created god knows how much money. Unsurprisingly, those three things created massive inflation. It's going to be interesting.

5. guns_of_minerva

guns_of_minerva SS.org Regular

Finally got stock of Charvel's and Jackson's in the UK!

6. Djedi

Djedi SS.org Regular

What cities in Illinois? I was going to check out Arlington Heights and Schaumberg.

7. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

Both happened (& are still happening), just to different groups of people.

8. Flappydoodle

Then where's the desperate flogging of gear that they can no longer afford? There's no bargains anywhere.

9. sami50000

sami50000 SS.org Regular

Somewhat related to the topic, but have any of you noticed the massive shortage in new pickups in stock, especially from the bigger brands? Maybe this is more of an EU thing, but I never thought I would have such a hard time finding something as non-obscure as a F-spaced Super Distortion. Most retailers seem to be doing the thing where pickups are coming to stock on X.X.2021, and when that date hits, they just push back the estimate with a few weeks.

How is the pickup availability over there in the US when it comes to big US manufacturers like Dimarzio, Duncan etc? I'm wondering if its more of a shipping issue, or a parts availability issue. You would think that pickups would be comparatively quite quite simple in terms of manufacturing and logistics when comparing to e.g. a full electric guitar, so I am quite surprised to see such a massive lack of supply.

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

What a weird metric to go by. :lol:

sirbuh likes this.
  11. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

It's almost like people dont want to lose money when they sell their stuff :lol:.

USMarine75 likes this.
  12. coreysMonster

coreysMonster Abrakadabro

I'm sure there's lot of people desperately selling their gear right now, but if tons of people are buying used since there's no new stock coming out, they don't have to sell at a low price. Basic supply and demand.

EDIT: Also most likely, the groups of people sitting on $$$ gear are not the same people that are struggling financially right now, broadly speaking.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  13. Flappydoodle

I was told there would be economic calamity, damn it!

Yes, possibly that's happening. I wonder if Reverb etc is busier than average. I'm curious to know.

I don't agree with your edit though. A LOT of people buy gear on finance, on credit cards, or have to save up to buy it.

14. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

There is, for millions of people in this country alone, it's just those aren't the type of folks to be sitting on tons of guitar gear.

15. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

I spoke with a friend yesterday
    He works as a (I don't know the term in English so I'll try to explain) manager of the custom duties at the harbour of Genova, Italy, which is our biggest commercial harbour
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Genoa

Price of deliveries x container from China raised from 1300-1800 $ of early 2020 to 7500 $
    Plus, China is asking "fast deliveries fees" like "if you want the container scheduled for the end of May instead of having it by the end of June, you must add 3000 $"
    His comment was "they're biting us more than the mafia"
    And I suppose this is worldwide

16. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Just to say that whatever your friends ‘actual’ job title is, your explanation probably makes more sense to the rest of us ;)

China, as the manufacturing base for the world, now has control because our demand is currently governed by their supply. Once the world gets a bit more back to normal, so will the supply and demand ratio and so will the shipping costs.

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  17. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

But then, if someone makes huge margins of profit out of a situation, how much interest is there to bring things back to normal?
    Because, call me conspiracist, call me Italian pizza, mafia, mandolin, but there's so much money flowing to flood so many pockets

Hollowway, _MonSTeR_ and sirbuh like this.
  18. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

From what I've seen, for every far east manufacturer/shipper/seller who wants to add on $3000, there's one prepared to ship it for just an extra $2500...

coreysMonster and OmegaSlayer like this.
  19. coreysMonster

coreysMonster Abrakadabro

This, once supply and demand levels go back to normal, so will competition. I'm not worried about manufacturer goods, they still need people to buy their products, so it'll swing back in favor of consumers eventually. Things like guitars and GPUs aren't driven by human necessity like housing, healthcare or food supply.

20. Flappydoodle

Not quite so simple. A friend of mine works in shipping. He said there's a shortage of the actual containers, and it's likely that China is artificially lowering the supply of containers (since they own the most). As @OmegaSlayer says, they're profiting by charging you more for containers, and jacking up the price more if you really need it. It's all designed to push the prices of their exports up, and of course to hurt the west by driving inflation in our countries.

OmegaSlayer likes this.