Shipping a guitar with a cocobolo neck from USA to Europe (CITES??)

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Simic, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

Hey!
    Im in the talks for a deal in which I'd get a koaberg with a cocobolo neck. The thing is, Im from Europe and the seller is from the states and he informed me that cocobolo is on the CITES list and that shipping could be a problem... Does anyone have any advice on what paperwork (if any) I'd need to safely receive the guitar in Europe without it being confiscated on the border?
    I didn't know that cocobolo is on the list as builders like Suhr offer it and I'm sure they ship some guitars to europe as well...

Please, let me know what you think!

Thanks! :hbang:

2. TheTrooper

TheTrooper SS.org Regular

You shouldn't have problems in that regard; raw cocobolo is taxated/controlled, I don't think it applies to an already built musical instrument (but I'm not sure).

If there is a specific form to fill, just have him put "standard" woods (like maple) so You avoid problems, otherwise, If he doesn't have to specify at all, don't.

3. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 SS.org Regular

I don't know about shipping to Europe. But I just received a guitar from Belgium. And the US Customs office held my guitar for inspection. They needed the Lacey Act papers filled out, detailing the exact species of woods used in my guitar and where they were harvested. But the kicker is... I had to fill in that information. Or the shop I bought it from. But there's no proof required. So you can write it Mahogany and Maple if you want. There's no way for the Customs office to actually verify what wood your guitar has, unless they do some kind of lab DNA test. Which they aren't going to do.

So, I'm not telling you to lie or anything. But on the documents for my guitar, the manufacturer/shop only listed the body and top. They didn't list the neck or anything. Wouldn't have been a problem if they had. But they didn't the Customs office treated it simply as a formality. Once they had the documents they released the guitar.

4. angus

angus SS.org Regular

You are totally fine. The category and subcategory cocobolo fits into is not regulated heavily in finished product form, just raw wood. You're fine.