Share your workout

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I never was a fan of no xplode, but prejym was pretty good. There a loads of knockoffs of prejym now too that you can probably find cheaper

the only downside was it sent me on the long dark road of drinking 4-6 coffees today after I stopped buying it, and still needed that huge caffeine fix.

i just googled it and wheewww, pre jym's gotten super expensive. F that

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Exactly. Tried preworkout a few times earlier this year for my 4a workouts and was so uncomfortable and jittery - I then started going in the afternoon and nope, pre is terrible for me. I was fatigued by the amount of stress the pre was inducing and was shaking on all my lifts.

Some are good and some are absolutely terrible. I was took one that apparently had a little too much beta alanine for my liking and was driving to a CrossFit class one time and got stuck in major traffic. I hate being late and I ended up being a few minutes late and my skin was peeling off and it was just an all around shitty experience.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Contributor
Reaction score
All fucked up on the pre and then not being able to hit the gym is funny to watch.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
Finished the week with 31.2 miles including a 14 miler yesterday (at 10:20 min/mi average). I'm working on nailing the nutrition too. I get sensitive to too much water/liquid in my stomach for longer distances, so I tend to not drink enough fluid and then play catch up. This works for shorter distances (under 18 or so miles), but isn't ideal.

I think I'm going to try some electrolyte capsules instead of the Skratch powder. This works, but isn't really refillable for a longer run ) and dropping another bottle of water will save some weight.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
Finished with 32.5 miles for the week and the base is getting stronger. This week's long run was a quite technical 12 mile run: a lot of roots, some rock scrambling and steep inclines I could hardly walk up (mostly run off beds from the top of the hills). The electrolyte capsules are very convenient for carrying as it saves the weight of another water bottle in my vest. I'm also working on adding more core/cross-training to the routine as I feel more comfortable in the 30mi/week range.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation on dip bars? Don't need a tower just good bars for home. Oh and not too short.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
New supplements day.

F7-D59-DF1-8168-4-BA3-B87-F-D80-BC5-B4631-A.jpg

Not an enormous enormous enormous fan of the Protizyme but my wife likes this particular one so it's something we can agree on.

Today is a modification of Istvan Javorek Complexes.

4 x 10 x 15 lbs dumbell curls -> overhead press -> squats -> rows -> romanian deads (you do the whole circuit without stopping)

Jump rope x 200 between every two sets

4 x 10 x 75 lbs barbell dead -> upright row -> overhead press -> back squat -> good mornings (again, whole circuit without stopping)

Jump rope x 200 between every two sets

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
Last week I finished with 34.7 miles - including a relatively fast 14 miler on the road.
This week, 35.1 miles with a little slower, but 15 mile trail run yesterday.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just started walking (with purpose) about 3 weeks ago. Each week, I'm starting out targeting at least 1.5 miles for 4 days, and 2 miles for two days, totalling 10 miles for the week. My goal after this first month will be to bump up an additional one of those 1.5s to 2.0 each week, and then go up another .5 miles one additional day each week, at minimum. If I'm out and about and I feel like I can do 2 miles instead of 1.5, I've been, even if that puts me over 10...10 is the minimum, not the limit. Consistency is more the goal, though, than the final mileage, but I've built in easier days and 1 day off to keep it realistic for me. I know if I break myself the first month, I won't keep going.

The other metric goal is trying to keep my minutes/mile pace ~19 mins. Tonight I was walking into some strong wind, so I had to push to still keep it under 20, but under 19 is my target with "around 19" being good enough to not beat myself up.

I've been using whatever the top free "walk tracking" app search result was, which I now see is from Under Armor, I guess.

The bummer is I'm 1.5 years in to a health issue (so far with no end in sight) which had made it that I sometimes have to break up that 1.5 miles into 2 or 3 chunks, which isn't ideal for keeping the heart rate up...but it's something, which is more than I've done for more than a decade...maybe ever.

Last edited:

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
A 10% increase in overall mileage is what's advised for ultra training, so I'd imagine 5% is totally doable. Keeping consistent is really what matters - I get caught up in making up days I miss, though I've got some lag built-in to my training schedule. Garmin Connect is pretty good if you're using a Garmin GPS watch, but there are certainly other options in the space.

I've noticed that going further and repeat mileage is a way to increase speed (at least for the distances I'm doing, I don't know how this extrapolates downward).

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I'm on track to do 80 miles of running this month, maximum time so far for a 5 mile has been roughly 40.5 mins which is great; I think I might have to start doing 6 miles but I really don't want to, just feels unnecessary, but imagine saying my primary run is 10K and doing that 20 times a month :lol:

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My wife did this yesterday and she's trying to talk me into it. She said it's one of the hardest things she's ever done besides marrying me.

B479661-F-0-D4-C-4-BF8-9843-13372-C2-AE392.jpg

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
@jaxadam that sounds way worse than anything I'm enduring, :nuts:.

I'm on track to do 80 miles of running this month, maximum time so far for a 5 mile has been roughly 40.5 mins which is great; I think I might have to start doing 6 miles but I really don't want to, just feels unnecessary, but imagine saying my primary run is 10K and doing that 20 times a month :lol:
That's a good time, I wish I were that fast.

My schedule is a bit like that. This week's distances: 6,5,6,10,4 (for a short recovery week) followed by 7,5,5,15,4 (my longest week yet). I'm following a well-worn and highly recommended training plan, so I trust the magic to happen after building up to a 5 week average of over 30 mpw.

Reactions: MFB

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
Haha, I'm in that boat too but we find a common ground in hiking for our workouts.

_MonSTeR_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My wife did this yesterday and she's trying to talk me into it. She said it's one of the hardest things she's ever done besides marrying me.

B479661-F-0-D4-C-4-BF8-9843-13372-C2-AE392.jpg

Burpees should the cornerstone of all body weight routines!

I always hated burpees with two press-ups because it ruins any rhythm you can build up from regular burpees.

My old kickboxing teacher used to do a “burpees from Hell” class every once in a while, which was basically 45 minutes of burpees, running and burpees with tuck jumps, press-ups.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
@jaxadam that sounds way worse than anything I'm enduring, :nuts:.

That's a good time, I wish I were that fast.

My schedule is a bit like that. This week's distances: 6,5,6,10,4 (for a short recovery week) followed by 7,5,5,15,4 (my longest week yet). I'm following a well-worn and highly recommended training plan, so I trust the magic to happen after building up to a 5 week average of over 30 mpw.

Again, I will say it's running* as I use the elliptical but still, I'm putting one leg in front of the other for 5 miles straight :lol: I'm doing 3-on/1-off, and my runs are on the first and third day with the in-between day being a walk where I just increase the interval every 10th of a mile; so at 1 mile, I'm walking at a 10 incline, and then I go descend back down to a 0 incline.

Most I've ever done was 7 in an hour and that felt pretty fucking wild to do, I can't image what 10 or 15 feel like

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Burpees should the cornerstone of all body weight routines!

I always hated burpees with two press-ups because it ruins any rhythm you can build up from regular burpees.

My old kickboxing teacher used to do a “burpees from Hell” class every once in a while, which was basically 45 minutes of burpees, running and burpees with tuck jumps, press-ups.

By far, and I mean by far, the worst workout I've ever done is Kalsu.

We time capped it at 30 minutes, and I only did 95 lbs instead of 135 lbs (this is insane) and I finished at about 27 minutes, but those burpees every minute on the minute just about killed me.

Our friends have a gym up the road and this Thursday they are doing partner Kalsu so I think I might just have to go give it another shot!

Latest posts