Share your workout

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Contributor
Reaction score
I've noticed that later in the day after working out x muscle group, those muscles will sometimes cramp when flexing for some reason. Usually cold, not warmed up or anything. What nutrition am I missing? Its not pleasant and I don't remember this happening earlier in life. Sometimes it will happen the next day. Cramping lats, etc. Maybe I need to stretch?

KhzDonut

Sam Valentine
Reaction score
I've noticed that later in the day after working out x muscle group, those muscles will sometimes cramp when flexing for some reason. Usually cold, not warmed up or anything. What nutrition am I missing? Its not pleasant and I don't remember this happening earlier in life. Sometimes it will happen the next day. Cramping lats, etc. Maybe I need to stretch?
Stretching helps me a lot. I'm prone to cramping in my legs, especially calves.

Electrolyte balance is reported to play a big role, especially magnesium, and also potassium (most people get more than enough sodium) but I've never supplemented magnesium or potassium, or been aware of having a deficiency, so I don't know from personal experience how significant the effect is.

I've had some people tell me supplementing with magnesium largely eliminated their cramping issues.

Stretching seems to be 99% effective for me. Last time I got a major cramp was the one day I didn't bother stretching.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm switching it up and going in for night time gym as soon as i'm out of this meeting.

Deadlift/shoulders/bi's day today.

Not really going heavy yet. I'm still working my way up after those years of covid lockdowns.

Currently sitting at 180-ish lbs. I'll probably hang out there until I get some of my strength back. I wonder at what age old man strength kicks in 🤔 I gotta be getting close.

KhzDonut

Sam Valentine
Reaction score
I'm switching it up and going in for night time gym...
I am in awe of people that can lift in the morning. I couldn't do it.

Most of the time I lift between 9pm-11pm.

The rest of the time it's between 11pm-1am...

...Because sanity is worthless.

KhzDonut

Sam Valentine
Reaction score
Lol different strokes…. I can’t even fathom pounding some no xplode at 10:45 pm for some gainz.
*Looks up ingredient list for NO Xplode*

Oh, yeah, that wouldn't be a fun time at 10:45pm.

I mix my own preworkout; no caffeine, no beta alanine.

L Citrulline Malate
L Tyrosine
L Theanine
Gingko Biloba
Panax Ginseng
Ashwaghanda

Mostly it's just like 10g of L Citrulline Malate and then some nootropics.

I want to try Alpha GPC, Agmatine Sulfate, and... Maybe Betaine Anhydrous? That might be overkill after all the L Citrulline Malate, but I figure I'll give it a go at some point because why not screw with my body chemistry until I finally get the weird secret Hulk Strength Formula?

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am in awe of people that can lift in the morning. I couldn't do it.

Most of the time I lift between 9pm-11pm.

The rest of the time it's between 11pm-1am...

...Because sanity is worthless.
oh yeah the early morning routine was out of necessity because of the hours I work and gyms not being open when I sometimes do a 13-15hr day late in the night.
I've been on 11-12's for a while now, but with the covid restrictions lightening up, I can do night gym again. When hard crunch time hits at work, which will be soon, I'll have to flip back to mornings again just to get it in especially since I work mostly with the west coast and my hours get messy since I'm on the east coast. :/

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
Stretching helps me a lot. I'm prone to cramping in my legs, especially calves.

Electrolyte balance is reported to play a big role, especially magnesium, and also potassium (most people get more than enough sodium) but I've never supplemented magnesium or potassium, or been aware of having a deficiency, so I don't know from personal experience how significant the effect is.

I've had some people tell me supplementing with magnesium largely eliminated their cramping issues.

Stretching seems to be 99% effective for me. Last time I got a major cramp was the one day I didn't bother stretching.
potassium is critical for mitigating cramps ime. Either you get enough in your diet to offset the gradual loss that occurs naturally and through exercise, or you have to supplement it. I make a homebrew ORS that's identical to WHO's formulation and never have issues with cramping anymore. It's also killer for preventing hangovers

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Contributor
Reaction score
potassium is critical for mitigating cramps ime. Either you get enough in your diet to offset the gradual loss that occurs naturally and through exercise, or you have to supplement it. I make a homebrew ORS that's identical to WHO's formulation and never have issues with cramping anymore. It's also killer for preventing hangovers
Do tell. Any ingredients from Bulk Supplements?

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
Do tell. Any ingredients from Bulk Supplements?
yup.
Here's WHO's recipe:

2.6 g/L NACL (table salt duh)
2.9g/L Trisodium Citrate (bulk supplements sells it)
1.5g/L Potassium Chloride (bulk supplements sells it)
13.5g/L granulated sugar

I tend to leave out the table salt and sugar unless I'm working my ass off. The citrate and potassium are more than enough for maintenance. Combine with favorite drink mix to flavor it as it's awful on its own

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Contributor
Reaction score
yup.
Here's WHO's recipe:

2.6 g/L NACL (table salt duh)
2.9g/L Trisodium Citrate (bulk supplements sells it)
1.5g/L Potassium Chloride (bulk supplements sells it)
13.5g/L granulated sugar

I tend to leave out the table salt and sugar unless I'm working my ass off. The citrate and potassium are more than enough for maintenance. Combine with favorite drink mix to flavor it as it's awful on its own
Really, that's it? This is too easy, I already have a bag of K. If you were to add some Mg, what form would you use?

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
Really, that's it? This is too easy, I already have a bag of K. If you were to add some Mg, what form would you use?
I wouldn't add any. You can get Mg pretty easily through diet, and it's nowhere near as critical of an electrolyte for rehydration.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Contributor
Reaction score
I have come to realize over the last several months that my cardio/endurance has gone to shit. This is not good.
Getting hot around here so decided to fire up the Max Trainer again, but first needed a new HRM strap. The original got me about 3 + years unfettered but started to fade then finally died, no amount of alcohol cleaning, new batteries and ritual moistening was working. Got a new one, redesigned version, and it worked right out of the box. No fidgeting with anything. Old one is in the recycler.
I had replaced some central hub a few years ago to get rid of some click/thump issue but noticed some squeak in the treadle hinges today. Just lubed them up with some Rem Oil, should be ready to crank out some daily cardio action now with nothing but the white fan noise.
As an aside, this unit has been worth the investment from 7 years ago or so. A few small repairs/maintenance done myself and that has been it. I just wish they made a factory media stand for these early models like they do for the now models.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I have a series of stretches and resistance band exercises for shoulder stability strengthening, but due to a shoulder injury, I have cut back on that.

Lately I have been keeping it simple; 40-50 minutes on a Schwinn 411 elliptical.