Share Your Coolest Interactions With Famous Band Members!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Blytheryn, Aug 17, 2016.

1. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Met the Black Sheep Wall and Colombian Necktie dudes on tour last year, followed them through two states for three shows. On the last night I caught them in San Antonio, I sang parts of one of my favorite BSW songs with their singer Brandon and then went to a little dive bar a block from the venue for drinks and bull.... with him afterwards.
    We hung out a bunch over those three days, and it didn't take either one of us very long to realize we were kindred spirits with a love for retro gaming, the horrible movie Mortal Kombat Annihilation, funk music and Jim Beam. A few months after the tour, I sent him a Morris Day and the Time vinyl, and a week later he mailed me about 5 hours of unreleased Admiral Angry tunes in exchange. Then I taught Scott how to play 2 of their songs he'd forgotten, which was kind of surreal and really funny. Some of the coolest experiences of my 20s and those guys are all genuinely super good people, musicians, and friends. I have also been buds with Rennie from Starkweather for awhile, another one of my favorite bands. Just reached out to him about signing my vinyl 3 years ago, and we've been in touch ever since. He was even nice enough to send me a few shirts for no charge. Super cool guy with a seriously mindboggling knowledge of underground bands.. guy's an encyclopedia.

2. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Dude that sounds so awesome!!!

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I once met Lord Worm outside the bathroom at a Cryptopsy concert. I talked to him about how I was excited for the show. I told him I was surprised because I always imagined the band with Quebec accents. He said the only reason he doesn't have one is because he's an English teacher and prides himself on his pronunciation.

4. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I met dime just before his passing. Long story short every nice thing you've ever heard about him is true!!

5. psycle_1

psycle_1 SS.org Regular

I jammed on stage with John Petrucci at a clinic he did in Raleigh, NC after the Train of Thought tour. There were 2 separate clinics held that day, one that went in depth with guitar playing, the other was your standard type clinic with a Q and A session. I attended both.

At the first clinic, 10 of us out of 30 were selected lottery style to jam with Petrucci on stage. He would play a chord progression (along with a full backing band) and you would solo over it and he would critique you, stating one good thing and one thing you need to improve on. When I was called up there he asked what progression I'd like to solo over. I told him to surprise me. He came up with some weird progression and asked if it was okay. I told him I didn't care. He said he was just kidding and just played an E minor to C major progression. This went on for about 5 minutes. After we were done, the first thing he said was "Damn!". The only thing he could say to work on was to play more forcibly, like Zakk Wylde. I'm just standing there thinking "Yeah, I'm just trying not to lose my ....". He also asked if I always play 7 strings (I brought my RG7620 with me). I said no, it was the only guitar I had at the time with fresh strings. I got a ton of compliments from everyone at that clinic. John and I also chatted for a bit about gear and such. Man, such a cool person in general.

6. DC23

DC23 SS.org Regular

I've been fortunate enough to have a few interactions with some bands / members. Got to chat a bit with Kirk Windstein from Downtown when Heaven & Hell rolled through my town. He was very nice and chatted with my friend and myself for a couple minutes. We were all hanging out by the exit of the venue where the busses pulled out from. Shortly after, Tony (followed by Ronnie) came out and waved at us as we stood there chatting.

Got to have a brief interaction with Alexi at a COB signing session a couple of years ago. He was also very nice, although it wasn't exactly stop and chat, as we were just signing up to get stuff signed.

One of the coolest meetings I had was with the dudes from Mandroid Echostar (a newer band from Ontario, Canada) when they opened for Protest the Hero during their brief Kezia X Anniversary tour. I got their pretty early with my girlfriend so there was just a few of us milling about and all of the guys from Mandroid Echostar were just hanging around. So I went to the merch booth to chat with the drummer who was super nice. Myself being from Ontario as well, we chatted a bit about home and I bought a vinyl from him. Eventually made my way around to all of the guys I could find and they were super kind in signing my LP and just sat with them for a few minutes talking about gear and seven strings, etc. Definitely one of my favourite meetings as they were really humble and just super appreciative that everyone was coming out to see them and buying some mercy to help em out.

One of the funniest interactions I had was actually a couple of months ago. I work at a store in a mall in a very small town in Alberta (where hardly any good metal bands come...it's actually only Country haha). Anyways, I'm just working my shift looking out and I see these guys walk by that definitely don't look like they fit in with the usual folk that I see walking around. Then I remember Kalmah are playing a show in my town that night so I'm like "this is awesome!" to my co-workers whom are the least metal people you could think of haha. Anyways, after I'm done my shift I walk down to the foodcourt on the way to catch my bus and I see them all chilling having some Chinese food or something. So I walk up to them and I'm like "I'm sorry to bother you guys, I know you're from Kalmah, I can't make it to your show tonight but I want to thank you for bringing some good music to this city for once!" and they all start laughing and cheering. And I went on my way to catch le bus. :)

7. ofu

ofu SS.org Regular

Not a personal story, but there is a video of Peter TÃĪgtgren carrying the matress of a random dude in my hometown prior to a Pain show, if I recall correctly. It's pretty dumb video, but Peter had the aura of a really cool guy floating around him before that and when a local webzine showed the clip, he became some sort of everybody's new best pal. The show was a such a blast, next year Hypocrisy shot their live dvd in Sofia. Since then everybody was calling him Pesho (it's like the local equivalent of Pete) and the rumour is everybody was buying him drinks till the morning after. Hypocrisy is still one of the most loved bands around here.

But it's a local tradition to try to get the guys from a visiting band as ....faced as possible. The best marketing move a metal band can pull around here is saying we're the craziest public and our alcohol is the best ever.

8. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

Back before the release of Nocturnal, The Black Dahlia Murder were in England on a summer tour of small clubs, I can't remember the exact dates but it was about 6-8 weeks before the release of Nocturnal, so probably around late July, August time.

The various support acts came out, IIRC it was The Ocean (lame) and Biomechanical (also pretty lame). I spent the time drinking and buying a TBDM t shirt. When it was time for TBDM to play, the band came out minus Shannon Lucas, who had not been in the band long at that time. The story was that Shannon had terrible food poisoning and there was no way he'd be able to play the set. There was much disappointment, but the band offered discounts on merch and anyone who had bought some already that night would get money back. They even brought out their boxes of warm Stella Artois lager and passed the cans round as free drinks and put their copy of Nocturnal on the club PA for us to listen to - at this point very few people outside of the band or Metal Blade had heard it, the press were still a way off getting their review copies.

Trevor asked if anyone would take the healthy band members out partying, which in a nightlife city like Newcastle was actually a pretty tough ask on a Tuesday night, and soon the club was practically empty. Myself and two of my friends offered to take the guys round town and show them practically the only club that was open, which was a university student union with a skate / punk rock night.

The band's friend / handler was a guy I seem to recall being called Caleb, who had one of those cameras that are used for filming skate videos. The various activities of the night are documented in clips in the "What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse" music video and the Majesty dvd. This included going into a Burger King, nearly getting the police called when Brian ran behind the counter to high five the burger girl, spending a few hours drinking in Northumbria student union before getting kicked out because Brian peed on the floor near the bar. By this time it was 02:30am or there abouts, and we'd been drinking for several hours with the band (man those guys can drink!), so Caleb asked us to get them to their hostel where they were sleeping for the night, which was about 15 minutes walk away. It took us an hour to get there. On the way, Brian unzipped his pants and started pissing all over the path ahead of him as he walked, the scene can be seen on the Majesty dvd where they joke about the size of the black box needed to censor the footage, I appear in this clip, my moment of fame. We put them in their hostel, said our goodbyes and we walked home, 6 miles in the early morning air walking off the booze to save us from hangovers, getting home just as the sun came up over the horizon.

What a horrible night to have a party with TBDM indeed. When Nocturnal came out the metal world was pretty much blown away and it's still one of my favourite metal albums, made even more special for me by that night spent with those party animals from Michigan.

9. no_dice

no_dice a very bad old bear

I don't have any cool stories, but a long time ago, my brother and I showed up way too early to a show in Daytona and ended up eating at Pizza Hut with The Red Chord and A Life Once Lost.

10. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Wow, that sounds like such a blast. I'd love to hang out with those guys... I love TBDM and Nocturnal is probably on my top 5 favorite albums list.

11. EcoliUVA

EcoliUVA Not Gifted

Supported the Conquering Dystopia fundraiser and got to sit down with Keith and Jeff. Coolest dudes. Keith was gonna be moving the next day, literally just him and Jeff, his kid and wife.

So my wife was there and said "He's good at moving things." I count these guys among a handful of guitarists that kept me going during a time in my musical journey that I was damn near giving it up. I happily helped them move the next day into Keith's new house/studio. They gave me one of the evertune-equipped guitars used for tracking the album as thanks. I was pretty floored. Guitar is here:

Went back the next day and hung out at Jeff's place. Smoked some hookah, jammed. Was a bit intimidated by His Shreddiness, albeit unfounded since he was super chill. I actually did a ....ty interview-thing for SS.org, but the whole deal was too personal of an experience. 2.5 years later I still feel humbled and a bit weird talking about it. I just didn't want to cheapen the experience by turning it into internet points.

Next story: I got really drunk at the last stop on the Wintersun/Fleshgod/Arsis/Starkill tour. It was small, I think much smaller than the bands expected unfortunately. At any rate, I was mostly there for Arsis and got to drunkenly chat with James (Jim) Malone a lot (I count him on that list I mentioned above). Bought him and a lot of people beers. Probably said stupid ...., but he was super easy to talk to and didn't seem to mind. Really wish I'd been more sober. The dudes all signed an old Arsis shirt that didn't fit me any more. I think James was sleeping in the van or something, but he came back in at the end of the night anyway to sign it. Class acts, the lot of them.

12. jeremyb

jeremyb SS.org Regular

My band got to open for Between The Buried and Me when they came here to New Zealand, got to hangout back stage with the guys and they were the nicest dudes, dream come true!!!!

13. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Ozzy and Geezer signed my high school yearbook back in the early 90's, as it was the only thing I had on me for an autograph. They were pretty funny, joking about seeing me at the reunion.

Also saw Cradle during the Midian tour in Montreal and ended up at the same bar as they were at after the show. Got to meet the band, but hung out a bit with the keyboardist, he was pretty cool, really nice dude.

14. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

I met Bruce, Dio and Lemmy in the same night once.

15. Black43

Black43 Hated Ibanezes once

Met Rick Schneider, guitarist of Polaris, when they opened for Trivium in Sydney earlier this year.
    Only got a few words in with him but he seems to be a good bloke. Polaris are a great band, it was an amazing feeling.

16. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

Polaris as in the Adventures of Pete & Pete band?

17. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

I met the guys from Dew-Scented and Severe Torture in Brutal Assault 2014 and have seen Leif in other festivals afterwards. We always chat a bit, he really likes to speak spanish so I have an advantage there. I met him last in Wacken this year, we were chilling for a bit after the show form The Haunted.

My most memorable interaction with an artist wasn't an interaction at all. I was seeing Magma (and getting my head blown in the process) at a festival and turn around to realize that Mikael Akerfeldt was standing next to me with the same sense of awe at the band. Great times.

18. steelprostate

steelprostate SS.org Regular

Nothing too cool here, but I met quite a few people/bands. I used to load for a club in exchange for getting my band booked to open for the bigger shows that passed through, so basically just take the band's gear on stage before they went on and move it off when they were done. Got to hang out with All That Remains a bit and extensively talk to Phil, and they were all really awesome guys. Met Zakk Wylde and he was also really cool. Open to talk about whatever and very humble. Hung out with Ken from Unearth for a few hours and he was one of the most awesome guys I've ever met. The guys from 3 Inches of Blood were really really cool even through the unfortunate circumstances of that night...They were opening a show and the drummer blew his kick head at the very beginning of "Deadly Sinners," which if I remember correctly they were opening with...so they had only played a few seconds before they called their set. They apologized a ton and got booed off stage. I took their gear to the back room where all the bands hang out and apologized to them on behalf of the crowd and hung out with them a bit. Super awesome guys. Met Devildriver, and contrary to a lot of the stories I've heard, Dez was actually a really nice guy. There are a ton more, but nothing of too much substance. I'm very happy to say that of all of the bands I've had the privilege to hang out with or have any interaction with, I've only had 2 really bad interactions. The guys in Disturbed were awful, but I was only there to get something signed for a girl years ago lol and sadly, I had a bad interaction with Thomas from The Fall of Troy both times I've seen them. I really admire his playing, but my interactions with him have turned me off to the band. A buddy of mine started talking to Trivium years ago, right after "Ascendancy" came out, and they kept in contact with him for years, bringing him on their tour bus whenever they were in town and whatnot. He said they were the greatest guys ever...and all of that started from a simple message to the band on myspace praising them. Pretty awesome.

19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

But their guitarist was Mark "Muggy" Mulcahy, I thought. :scratch:

20. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Played a festival some years back with Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death, Immolation, Ringworm, Rivers of Nihil, and a couple other bands. Got to hang with the Ringworm and RoN guys in the green room, which was loaded with cases of free beer. Split a fifth of Jim Beam with my buddy in a half hour, then got to stage dive during Napalm Death's set. Met Paul from Corpse, and was hands down one of the nicest human beings I've ever met, as well as Alex (the other guys were acting like rockstars and didn't have the time of day for the rest of the bands). Got to have a long discussion with Barney from ND after the show.

I'll never do anything that cool again.