Share Your Coolest Interactions With Famous Band Members!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Blytheryn, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Hey guys, I know a lot of you have been metal fans for ages, and a lot of you have met band members and have some really rad stories. Well post them here. Who have been the nicest? Have they done anything out of the ordinary while meeting you? Met them more than once and they remember you?

I get stoked when I hear about cool stories like this. It makes me really happy. To start things off I'll post a little story from back when I was at 100GuitarsFromHel last August:

We had 3 days of rehearsals prior to the ultimate performance at the Senate Square in Helsinki. After the first rehearsal all of us went to town and got drunk like lords, and barhopped until 4 AM. A bunch of metalheads and guitarists getting together and being stoked out of their minds? What else could possibly happen?

Well queue the next morning, we're back at rehearsals at midday. I'm actually still drunk. I can play everything, because I practiced it to the point of being able to play it behind my head... But man, it was killer. During one of the breaks I walk around a bit, you know... In the search of really anything caffeinated to wake my body up from it's zombie-like state, and I finally find a coffee pot a few corridors down. I take a cup and pour me some and sit down, totally unaware of where exactly I am. As I'm reinvigorating my soul with pitch black caffeine guess who walkes in wearing an oversized hoodie, cargo shorts and a fedora? Laiho himself, drinking a Red Bull. He stops and talks to someone over in the distance and then takes notice of me, just minding my own business. He asks me if I had a rough night judging by the looks of me just nestling my coffee. I told him we basically did the entire town the night before and I was trying to really kick myself out of it. He laughs and I ask him where I could find a Red Bull around there. He tells me it's a secret; we chat some more and he goes off to do whatever the hell he was doing. I finish my coffee and sit around a little more just checking my phone... All of a sudden I hear a "Hey dude! Found one for ya!" He gives it to me, and goes back to another room somewhere before we all go and get back to practice again.

EDIT: I thought it might be worth mentioning... I was one of three other guitarists seemingly selected at random to be at a press conference the day before with him, where we talked about the whole thing, took pictures for the press and jammed riffs from the performance just the three of us unplugged. (I'm on the far right)
    [​IMG]

Cool ass dude for sure. :metal:

AliceLG, Black43, Chiba666 and 4 others like this.
  2. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel \m/

That is a killer story! Not a big Bodom fan, but anyone that cool deserves some props in my book. :yesway:

I don't have any stories quite that awesome, but getting to meet all the members of Twisted Method at their show was pretty awesome...I was the only one out of all of us who went who got to meet their guitarist, who was a cool dude, but gave me his case of the flu. :lol: Then I wound up talking to their bassist for about half an hour after the show...he was really excited about their second album, which wound up never coming out, unfortunately. :(

Another cool story was meeting some of the guys from American Head Charge and Motograter at the last show I went to...they were all really cool guys, and my neighbor got a signed t-shirt from the guitarist of Motograter. The (now former) guitarist of AHC was especially cool, and talked gear with me for about 5 minutes...he had a really awesome prototype Schecter baritone that I mistook for a 6-string Keith Merrow model that was a really dark purple. Hopefully they put it out someday!

3. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

That is really cool dude! I love it when guys take time out of their busy schedules for a quick chat. It might just be some conversation over a cigarette for them, but for the fans it means a lot.

Fck yeah about that Schecter though, dude. I'm really liking where they are taking that brand... Would be nice to have a 1k banger guitar for different tunings and stuff.

I remember seeing Motionless in White back in high school. They played their only 2 shows in Sweden ever, and after they went off we were hanging outside and had the opportunity to chat with both guitarists who were both super chill. They really wondered what two Americans were doing in Sweden, so we chatted about that, and guitars, and everything and whatnot. You know, trying your hardest not to fanboy. They love Sweden... :nuts::lol:

4. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

This story happened last year when I went to see Psycrotic, a technical death metal band from Australia. I was talking to Jason Keyser, who is actually the singer for Origin and was filling in for Jason Peppiatt, at their merch table. Anyways, I gave money to buy their first album which is, "Isle of disenchantment". Keyser reaches down under the table and hands me a first pressing CD of Isle with the original artwork. For those who may not know, Isle has 2 different covers. The original pressing when the album came out in 2001 and the re-done version that came out in 2013. The originals are a little harder to find because they don't print them anymore. I obviously won't get rich by selling the out of print version on Ebay but it's pretty cool from a collectible standpoint. I thought it was really nice for Keyser to give me a choice between the original and re-done copy. :cool:

At another concert, which had Season of Suffering, a death metal band from Portland, they had their CD's, stickers and T-shirts at their merch table. The stickers are a $1 each but I had no interest in them. I purchased both their albums, one shirt and asked if they could all sign the CD covers. When I got home and opened up the CD inlay cards, the band members placed 6 stickers in the inside. Very, very nice of them to do that. I thanked them on their Facebook page the same day. :cool:

5. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

My coolest was having a couple beers with After the Burial like 6 years ago. They played a show to like 10 people :lol:

Other than that I have no cool story hahaa

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Excellent stories all around. I hate hearing stories of musicians being douchey to people I know, because I know everyone has a bad day once in a while, too, and could be great overall.

At Gigantour, back in 2005, I was super hyped to see Symphony X. I had been a Symphony X fan for a long time, and I had missed them each time they came to my hometown for various reasons, including getting horrible food poisoning one year I already bought tickets. Anyway, they were relegated to the second stage, around the middle of the show. Me and a buddy got right up against the front of the stage and headbanged like it was the last metal concert on Earth, and when they finished their set, they climbed right down the front of the stage to talk to us (me, my buddy, and another guy we didn't know). Most people cleared out to go see the next band or whatever, but I stuck around with Michael Romeo, Jason Rullo, and Russell Allen to BS for a while and then they invited us to go out for pizza. It was shocking that these guys were wicked showmen on stage and fantastic musicians of the highest caliber, but off the stage, they were just really cool regular dudes. Somewhere on the internet, I had a couple low quality snapshots scanned (I was a late adopter of digital cameras).

Maybe ten years prior to that, the same buddy and I met Jason Bonham at a drum clinic and he was super cool as well. I didn't get to eat pizza with him, though. :lol:

When I worked at a pawn shop in Detroit, I ran into a few celebrity-level musicians there, but usually those guys stopped by on my days off. I won't retell anybody else's stories about those times, but there was one day the guys from Anthrax/SOD came in with a drum pedal that was all folded up and smashed to hell. It was a Tama Iron Cobra, and we happened to have one for sale just like it. My coworker and I chatted with Charlie Benante for a few minutes about how he wanted to get lost in Detroit and walk around with a Camcorder and a map and see if he could get in a fight. The moment the door closed when he left, I went to exchange glances with my coworker, who was nonchalant. I said "Do you know who that was?!" and he said "Yeah, last time they were in town, I played frisbee with him and Scott out in the parking lot." :jealous face:

7. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Years ago, my friends and I were hanging out with some of the guys from the band, From Autumn To Ashes. A girl I know was close with one of them, but I was just there to see some live music and have a good time. Anyhow, we had a few beers and a lot of good laughs before the show. Anyway, the drummer also does a lot of their clean vocals and he had a segment of the show where he came down from the throne and sings some parts to his songs at the front of the stage. The girls love that stuff - you know how it is. I am up against the front row when he is doing his thing and he was putting the mic down to people so that they could sing along. We all know this is a mistake. Well, he sees me and puts the mic in my face, but I have no idea what the lyrics are to the song. So I shout, "Can a drummer get a lap dance?!" It was a joke from earlier in the night. He loses it and starts laughing during this emotional section of the song while the people in the crowd (especially the star-struck girls) all look at me like I am totally nuts. Good times.

8. abeigor

abeigor SS.org Regular

My band opened for Nile in SF back in 2003, and people were still finding their way inside during our set (the rest of the bill was Hate Eternal, Origin, and Arch Enemy). Karl was milling around while we played, but he kept stopping to listen when we did some of our more progressive stuff. He approached us after our set and paid us some compliments, which totally made our night. All the forums back then were full of Karlhate, but he proved himself to be a really friendly dude.

9. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

I'm so jelly...they are one of my favorite bands even to this day.

10. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I met Steve Wilson by happenstance after a show in Boston. I went to a bar after the show near the venue for a nightcap, and his band happened to have had the same idea. I was probably embarrassingly hammered when I approached him and congratulated him on a great show, but he was super nice and gracious. He even swung by and gave his regards before he left. It's almost just a relief to find out that the people you admire aren't dicks, right?

11. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

Adam D from Killswitch pointed at me when I saw them live. He was wearing short shorts and had a blow-up doll strapped to his back. What a moment of a lifetime.

12. twizza

twizza Social Assassin

One I was on acid, taking care of my girlfriend who took too much, and then one of the guys from 311 was in my hotel room, and we made use of a chillum in the shape of a porpoise.

13. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Bought Frank Mullen from Suffocation a Jack and Coke, and watched about half of Fear Factory's set with him by the bar on Thanksgiving Eve a decade ago. Wish I could remember some of the conversation.......

14. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

Drank a couple beers with Adam D at a Meshuggah show. That was pretty killer.

Smoked a cigar with Mark Morton on his birthday. His 40th i believe. He drank miller lite out of a closed lid coffee cup. Genius.

Got to meet Les Paul after his show at the iridium. He passed about 6 months later. Such a friendly guy.

15. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel \m/

I wish we still had the like button, because these are some cool stories! :yesway:

I forgot about one of my stories, perhaps because I didn't actually meet the person in question, but it was an awesome moment nonetheless. The second time I saw Devil You Know, they had come to a break in their set, and Howard Jones was introducing the members and stating what bands they were in prior to DYK. He got to their bassist Ryan Wombacher, and stated that he used to be in Bleeding Through...and no one in the audience save for my brother and I were cheering, after which Howard pointed at us and said "Well those two dudes know who you are!". Having been a KsE fan for many years beforehand, as well as being a DYK and Blood Has Been Shed fan, it was a pretty awesome moment for both me and my brother. :)

I also got to meet Ryan after the first DYK show I saw, and despite having been up for over 24 hours straight and having to catch a plane to get to the show, he was a really chill dude and talked to my friend and I for about 10 minutes. :) My band was playing the same venue as DYK the night after the second time I saw them, and it was definitely a fanboy moment to be standing on the same stage that I had just seen them and Lacuna Coil on the night before.

16. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

When the drummer of Race Traitor put out two of my band's albums and two of my books. :lol:

17. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Met a lot of great people over the years, but here are some that have stuck with me.

Years ago I went to see Powerglove open for Symphony X. I'm not a Symphony X fan so I pretty much just went for Powerglove. Not only did they put on one of the most fun shows I've ever been to, but they were all really cool guys. During the show they threw several beach balls out into the crowd, starburst, inflatable swords, and all sorts of other props. Let me tell you, being in a crowd full of metal heads singing the lyrics to the Pokemon theme song as a band shreds through it and there's a circle-pit of people with inflatable weapons is all sorts of grin-inducing.

Afterwards, I bought their album (Saturday Morning Apocalypse) and a t-shirt and sat and talked with the band for a bit. They were all super nice and signed all of me and my friends stuff and took pictures with us and what not. Chris Marchiel (the former guitarist) plays a King V style guitar with it strung backwards, Jimi Hendrix style. His tone was awesome so I sat there and picked his brain about technique for a bit and found Rand Burkey (Atheist) was a huge influence on him. I thought that was pretty cool. He also had great tone so I sat and talked with him about gear for a bit and found out he had an identical rig to me at the time so after this I went home and practiced for weeks like a giddy child trying to dial in the perfect tone lol.

I saw Disgorge maybe a year or two ago after waiting forever on them to finally make their way down here to Florida. They were one of the tightest, heaviest bands I've ever seen live, right up there with Dying Fetus. After their set I went to the merch table and talked with Angel Ochoa for a bit, and for an enormous man in a brutal death metal band he was actually a really nice guy. He was super thankful to everyone that had come out and sat there and talked with me and my buddies for a good bit about the new album and so on.

I've met Brandon Ellis from Arsis and The Black Dahlia Murder several times and he's always been a really down to earth, cool dude to talk to. I remember sitting and talking to him about what other projects he had going on and tour stories and whatnot. James Malone and Noah Martin were also super nice. I remember talking to Noah after their set (the dude windmills like a freaking propeller) and saying he must have neck muscles like a ....ing barbarian and he just busted out laughing and said "yeah actually, here, go ahead and feel". It was pretty funny. I've also met Trevor from TBDM many times by now and he's always been super cool and down to earth as well as hilarious. Definitely one of my favorite personalities in the music industry.

At that same show I also met all of Wintersun. Fleshgod Apocalypse had played before them and most of the crowd had emptied out when they finished playing (wtf) but it was also pretty late when Wintersun did finally get to come on. Probably around 11:30 or midnight. Still, it was my first and only opportunity to see Wintersun after being a fan since the release of the self-titled years ago. We went out back after their set were waiting on them to come out and they all did. They signed my vinyls of the self-titled and Time I. Every one of them were super humble and you could tell they were all very excited to be out in a new place and playing in front of new faces. Their bassist (Jukka) sat there and talked .... with us for a good while. He taught us how to say a bunch of dumb .... in Finnish. Some drunk girl eventually came stumbling over, presumably walking home from one of the bars nearby that had just closed. This girl barely knew where she was so when she came walking over and all of us are stumbling through the finnish language I think that was enough for her lol. Jari came out and talked to us about the tour. Super kind, passionate guy and one of the tightest guitar players I've ever seen live. Teemu and Kai were super nice as well and they all sat there and talked with us until they had to get on the bus and drive away. Definitely one of my fondest memories of seeing anyone live, let alone meeting them.

When Death to All came through the first time I had the pleasure of meeting Bobby Koeble, Shannon Hamm, and Gene Hoglan. All of them were super nice guys and it was awesome to see them all so excited to be playing the old Death material. On that note, my friends and I have also run into James Murphy quite a few times at various shows and he's always been super kind and down to earth.

When Gorguts finally managed to come down here with Carcass I got to meet Luc Lemay and Kevin Hufnagel. I was super stoked to meet both as they've been huge influences on my playing for a bit now. Luc was very humble and seemed so excited to be on the road playing the material. There was a point during their set that he went to thank the crowd and he just busted out grinning, unable to finish his sentence. You could tell he was super excited to be playing in front of people again. I sat and talked with Kevin for a bit as well because I also enjoy his solo stuff (he does some ukulele stuff on youtube that is incredible). He was also super kind and it was funny to see the look of surprise on his face when I brought up the ukulele stuff lol. I ended up picking up a reprint of Obscura on vinyl that night and got Luc to sign it as well. Was pretty awesome all in all.

Went to see Devin Townsend Project with Children of Bodom once and got to meet Devin. He came out and was just talking to people in the crowd after the show later in the evening and was nice enough to take pictures with myself and my friends. He's every bit as cool and funny in person as you'd imagine him to be.

Anyways, there are countless others throughout the years but there have been a handful of people that have unfortunately been somewhat douchey or pretentious. That's always so disheartening as a fan to come across someone like that but it's okay. There are enough good people out there to make up for it and those people always seem to have spoken volumes to me in terms of their kindness, work-ethic, and appreciation for their fans. Any band humble enough to show their fans appreciation even through the fame wins in my book.

18. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

mishhu ansewred me a few timez on ask.fm

19. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Met In Flames at a meet adn great and they were really cool, but you could kinda sense a rift between them and Jesper. Spent most of the time talking to Jesper who is a really chilled out guy so that was cool. A few years before they supported Motorhead adn I jumped out on them to say 'Great show' But I was abit hammerd and I'm sure it came out as more of a slur than anyhthing else.

Met Silenoz adn Tuska a few years ago, was cool enough to have his photo taken and chat for a few minutes when he was having abeer with a few other people.

Met Paulo adn Andreas form Sepultura a few times, first on the Roots tour and then on the Dante 21 tour, again really cool guys signed my Brasil shirt on the roots tour. Stil got it in a draw somewhere.

Naplam Death are really cool had a beer with them after their show in Wolverhampton supporting Machine Head back in 96/97 something like that.

20. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

I've met a few guys from some NZ famous band, but in terms of international bands who I had the chance to interact with I was at a press thing for Black Label Society back in like maybe 05/06 in NZ, can't quite remember.

Anyway what I do remember is that Zakk was a polite and nice guy with what little time I got with him, but Nick Catanese was really dismissive and his whole vibe was 'why are you talking too me?' I honestly thought maybe it was me. I wasn't all fanboy I just wanted to say hi and talk guitar .... with him, but it was really off putting.

Craig Nunenmacher was watching all of this and I saw him frown, he then came over to me and made a point of being really friendly all like 'hey man how's it going, do you wanna beer?' we talked for a bit about all sorts of stuff, including Rugby which he thought was badass because 'you guys are huge and don't wear pads' had a couple beers and he wanted a photo because 'you don't see too many guys with ginger afros' (too bad Im now bald).

Anyway it was really cool of him to step in like that, and a generally smart move in terms of not alienating a fan. But he struck me as a real down home southern boy and I always figured if you perform and someone comes up and just wants to talk even if you don't have much time it doesn't cost anything to at least be friendly.