Seymour Duncans noisy - they all like that?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by eightsixboy, Apr 28, 2016.

1. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

Hi all,

Just recently got some EMG sized SD Pegasus and Sentient from the U.S. Installed them last night in my 7 string, and they are really noisy.

I have checked, and re-checked the earth points, bypassed the 5 way etc to rule out components but they are just very noisy.

I'm using a relatively new Japanese made Volume pot, input jack from another Jap made Ibanez, I can't see anything component wise that would cause the hum.

In contrast my other Prestige with Dimarzio Paf7, even with more gain is virtually noiseless in comparison.

Do you think this is a pickup issue? Googling before it looks like other have complained about noise from SD pickups.

Problem is I can't exactly send them back,, I mean I probably could but trying to prove the pickups are the issue would be hard and since no one here is Aus had the EMG sized versions I had to look overseas. So if it is the pickups what can I do about it? Wax dip them?

2. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Hi. So, also to rule out some wiring issues, and because you have a DiMarzio reference, you do know that Seymour's wire colors are different from DiMarzio's, right?

You may have some bad wiring scheme, meaning that you are either getting single coil only, or are having coils out of phase. Those are the 2 typical situations where you get noise on humbucking wiring. Besides the noise, what do you feel about the tone coming out? Too bright may mean that only one coil is working, kind of wonky may mean you have out of phase coils. How do they sound in clean settings?

Do this for each pickup separately: connect the black wire to hot signal in jack, link and tape white and red wires and send green to ground. This should give you the basic humbucking sound. If they are still noisy as you say, you may have faulty pickups.

As a reference...
    [​IMG]

3. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Has the bridge been grounded? Its not uncommon for active guitars to not have the bridge grounded.....

4. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

I looked at the SD web page, but knew the wiring was different to Dimarzio.

At the moment only the black (hot) wire is connected to the 5 way with the red/white tied together on each pickup, which is what they suggest, I couldn't figure out how to split the coils anyway.

I'll go straight to the jack later and see if its any different.

Its weird because I have another Ibanez I know have an earth issue, when I touch the volume knob with no knob on there (so just the spindle) the noise goes completely, but with this SD set no matter what I ground the noise is still there.

5. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

No Idea, But ill look into that thanks.

There was 3 or 4 earth wires from memory, 1 under each pickup, so not sure where the others come from.

Also worth noting that both the neck and bridge have about the same amount of hum. Its not like the bridge is heaps worse or vice versa.

6. BigBadAl

BigBadAl Too old to Mosh

By bridge he means the tremolo, TOM etc ,where the string go :) not the bridge pick up
    had to drill a hole for my schecter 8 string when I replaced active EMGs for passive Dimarzios.

The bridge needs to be grounded as well or you will get that kinda buzz

edit : pickups,input jack ,volume/tone pots , and the bridge should all be grounded so usually 4 grounds
    a pic of your cavity may help sort it out

7. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Also, pay attention to how the ground connections are made. They should be in a "Star" or "tree" like array, meaning that they should all connect to a central Ground. You'l get hum if all grounds are in a "Ring" like array, which is also called ground loops.

If you tried the pickups' direct connection to jack as previously suggested and found no hum, but you have it with the pickups wired to switches and pots, you have ground issues.

8. robski92

robski92 SS.org Regular

This! I have a Hellraiser that had no grounding from the bridge, so I kind of ghetto wired a ground from the post of my TOM through the pickup cavity and then into the control cavity where it is grounded to a volume pot.

Edit: or it might be to the input jack. I don't exactly remember lol.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  9. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

Yea of course :)

I pulled it apart yesterday and there was an earth already to the bridge. I sanded down the finish on the bridge for hopefully better contact as well, but its still the same.

It has 3 earth wires, 1 to the bridge, and 1 each under the pickup screwed into the body.

It doesn't sound like a ground hum to be honest, if I ground certain bits individually there is no difference to the hum, which is in complete contrast to my other 7 string which I know has a ground issue, I can just touch the jack area or volume knob and the hum goes on that.

Not sure if I should try shielding the pickups next? Maybe some copper tape wrapped around the pickup under the cover?

10. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Double check that all of your solder joints on your new pots are mickey mouse. I had a similar issue once, I had forgotten to solder one of the lugs on the pot, it was making contact, however just not soldered and it created all sorts of weird issues. Check that it is only wire soldered to the lugs/pots and that no insulation has made its way into the connections...

11. Kryss

Kryss Your new god!

I've used the Jason becker perpetual burns in one guitar so far and the sd live wires (mustaine) pickups and they were both very quiet and clean overall. haven't used the set you have but I'm thinking any noise must be a bad ground or maybe some other component causing you grief. I'm probably going to do sound demos of stuff in the next few weeks finally. just got my triaxis out of the shop so I can get it all configured with my voodoo lab switch. going to basically demo everything through peavey tube fex, mb triaxis, and a line 6 pod hd pro. but ya the livewires are really great. for rock I think I actually am liking them more than my normal go to, dimarzio evolution. it's a fantastic pickup and looks cool.

12. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

If you have ground wires screwed to the body under each pickup it is already shielded, those are there to tie the shielding paint to ground. I really can't imagine you got 2 defective pickups at the same time, and no, SDs shouldn't be any noisier than DiMarzio or other passive humbuckers.

If you have a meter, you might check and make sure all the grounds are tied together, maybe there is a broken wire somewhere. Check every ground point to the main ground (probably the back of the volume pot) and to the shield of the jack.

Hope this helps, maybe some pics would help...

13. robski92

robski92 SS.org Regular

I'd check to see if there is a ground coming from your input jack. Sounds like you have grounds for everything but the jack.