Seymour Duncan Liberator?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Chocopuppet, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Chocopuppet

Chocopuppet Woof Bark Woof

This thing looks like a genius idea. I'm just wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with it. Seems like it could solve a lot of problems. Oh, and the big question, would it fit in an Ibanez S-Series?

2. Camer138

Camer138 SS.org Regular

3. Chocopuppet

Chocopuppet Woof Bark Woof

4. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

This should answer your questions.

5. Randyrhoads123

Randyrhoads123 Got a 7

I'm honestly surprised there aren't more pickups like this. It seems like it'd be rather easy to implement a solder-less setup. The only reason the solder is there is to hold the wire onto the pots. Is there some legit reason to have solder over solder-less?

6. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

Absolutely no reason. A crimped metal on metal connection is actually better (less resistance to the electron flow) than passing through multiple kinds of metal (wire to solder to pot, etc).

7. yellowv

That's not true. Properly done solder joints will always be a better connection than crimped wires, scew terminals, etc. The main reason is really isn't done is bc a good percentage of players don't trust it. Those connections can loosen. Solder can not.

8. SrDeMaFp

SrDeMaFp Hack

It's a good idea but, I actually like soldering (I find it oddly relaxing), so I ditched it. Worked just fine, though. No tone loss, etc. Should fit in an Ibanez just fine. If not, I'm sure you could flip it no problem.

9. Larrikin666

Larrikin666 Deadite

If you're a moron like me and change pickups once a month.....it's a great investment. I'm installing the passive bodied Blackouts and preamp later this week. The preamp uses the same terminals, so I'm let you know how they feel when I tighten everything down.

10. Connor

Connor Guy

I dont think there would be a noticeable difference, but if you change pickups often enough then soldering a new pickup in would probably take you like 10 minutes. I guess it's a good idea when you're trying out new pickups ridiculously often.

11. wildchild

wildchild SS.org Regular

im impressed
    now it doesnt have to be a pain when trying new pickups

12. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

I'm still going with a metal on metal crimp being just as good if not better than soldering. Think about electrons traveling through multiple metals with differing resistances vs jumping a short distance (micrometers or less). My physics background says that the resistance caused by a short gap, like a crimp, would be smaller than you might think maybe less than soldering (although the classes were at 8am, and taught by a chinese guy... so, I dozed off pretty often :lol:).

I'm probably full of [email protected]#$ though, because I'm a biologist.

Now that I've nerded this up. Someone needs to try this, I've heard mixed things about the liberator since you still have to solder some things to it, it would seem to be only a partial solderless connection. Maybe you could just try getting some connectors from radioshack. I would think that something like that would work equally well.

13. b1gm3

b1gm3 SS.org Regular

I think regardless of any evidence that soldering is inferior, a lot of people would still solder because it's how vintage gear was originally made. It's like the Paper-in-Oil cap thing, whether there is a difference or not, people will still do it.

14. yellowv

Bingo. Many gear heads don't trust newfangled things, and those vintage elitist guys with their $5000 Les Pauls and such are what the market will cater to, because they have the cash. I for one will trust solder more than a crimp connection every time, regardless. Now $20 paper in oil caps vs .20 cent mylar caps... I'm the first in the doesn't make a damn bit of difference camp. I do see where this would be awesome for someone who wants to try multiple pickups in the same guitar, though. Yet soldering still would only take 5 minutes more if you know what your doing.