Seymour Duncan Invader maybe??

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by gnoll, Oct 8, 2019.

1. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I'm currently going through my guitars with the goal to streamline things a bit and to end up with two main players in my bands tuning.

I want one guitar active and one passive.

Currently my thinking is to go EMG in an LP style guitar, and passive in my ESP M-I. The question is, which pickup do I put in the ESP?

If you're not familiar with the M-I, it's a super strat, maple neck through with alder wings, fender scale.

At first I thought to go Duncan Distortion SH-6, because I know I like that pickup. But listening to youtube demos, I keep changing my mind back and forth. Right now, I'm seriously considering the Duncan Invader SH-8. I've always had a preconceived conception of that as kind of a crappy, muddy pickup, but listening to samples, it sounds good! It's got the mids of the Distortion but sounds bigger and ballsier.

I use a parametric eq in front of my amp to control bass, so I'm not really afraid of things getting muddy.

What do you guys think of the Invader? Do you have other suggestions? I'm really looking for something with a lot of mids and body to it. I can't stand scooped pickups, if I'm gonna scoop I do it on the amp.

I play in drop E (5 strings tuned UP) and mostly real real fast.

2. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

On a one-pickup guitar I wouldn't use an Invader. I used mine a long time in a 3-pickup Ibanez RG and there it balanced quite ok with the other pickups. It is great at metal rhythm (hence the cool sounds on Youtube), but lacks versatility and just has no sweetness/poor harmonics when it comes to soloing. Stiff, hard and lifeless. If you look at the M-1, that screams shredder guitar, so I think the SH-6 is probably a better choice (or, even better, a BKP Nailbomb). Although, to be honest I personally would be happy with just one EMG in that guitar.
    The Invader also sounds bad when split, so that's not an option.

I know the guy from Avenged Sevenfold uses them and he certainly solos a lot, but I have no idea how he manages to get those tones out of an Invader set (I've never tried the neck pickup).

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pickup hoarder

synyster hasn't used the invader in ages, he uses schecter custom shop pickups based off the invader. From what I've heard they have more clarity and don't tend to be quite as hot.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  4. Choop

Choop n______n

TBH a Black Winter would probably suit you. They are similar to the Distortions but with more of a mid-focus from what I hear in demos.

Blytheryn likes this.
  5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

The Invader might not work for you- don't start with a mid-heavy sound and then EQ that out...start with something a little clearer. I'd suggest either the Black Winter (if you like some mids) or the Pegasus, especially if it is a 1 pickup guitar. You might also consider a series/parallel switch for some versatility.

Blytheryn likes this.
  6. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Hm I did say lots of mids didn't I, ha...

Honestly though I'm not crazy about the BW, it sounds a bit quacky to me. I like how the Invader seems to sound more full and big, kinda covering more ground frequency wise, while still having the mids in there. It feels more 80s. BW reminds me of modern things and djent and stuff like that, and I don't really like that.

7. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

SD Custom

8. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

That one's just too scooped for me I'm afraid.

9. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

ok but if you play fast metal you're not going to want a fizzy mess of a pickup like an invader or distortion. Sounds like black winter would be the one then.

10. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I don't see how anyone can consider the BW to be quacky. In fact, it is the anti-thesis to the pickups who DO quack. A very balanced EQ with grinding mids, blooming lows, and crunchy but not piercing highs. THAT's the BW.

Blytheryn likes this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pickup hoarder

BW is definitely not quacky ime. I can run it through a super mid heavy amp like my Mark III and it doesn't get the cocked wah mids that the juggernaut/aftermaths accentuate. I also have a guitar with only a black winter in the bridge and it's more than sufficient for most of my riffage barring super liquidy solo shit.

That being said, if you want both 80s type vibes, custom 5 is the perfect thrash/hair metal pickup imo. The custom 5 has a slight scoop in the lower mids but the slicing upper mids and sledgehammer low end more than make up for it. Plus it cleans up great and can do more modern tones if need be.
    Otherwise I've heard good things about the full shred set.

Blytheryn likes this.
  12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yeah the BW I had wasn't quack. It was growl. Similar to the Distortion in some ways, but also different.

13. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

I dropped Invader in a friend's stat type of Schecter and worked out great. Not my favorite lead pickup but it is great for rhythm.

Maybe look for more of a midrange pickup if you're using boost of your amp can handle hi gain. I like the PAF Joe and PAFs by Dimarzio. THe Joe has gone insanely expensive...so just regular PAF, they're about the same, the Joe has a bit more midrange bite.
    https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/medium-power/paf-pro

or Fred for a bit more mid bite:
    https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/medium-power/fred

Tone Zone is also super cool IMO, clean and articulate, yet hot:
    https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/high-power/tone-zone

I am replacing neck pickup from Ibanez with this one.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  14. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I fully support the idea fwiw. It is not a “crappy” “muddy” pickup in an alder/maple super strat. My cheap MIM Fender strat crushes and all I did to it was sanded the neck down to bare wood (not saying you should do that) and installed a single Invader (yes).

Buy one used, they’re a dime a dozen. If you don’t like it sell it for the same price you paid for it and message me to say my advice is dog shit.

15. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Invaders sound awesome when they are far from the strings. I had mine almost flush to the pickup rings. Far from muddy and it was a pleasure chugging riifs all day.

16. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

My only experience with an Invader was in a friend's Dean ML that I worked on, which was a chunky, slightly dark sounding guitar. The pickup benefits from being backed off from the strings quite a bit, otherwise it gets woofy and is hard to control. Chugs for days, definitely a sledgehammer of a heavy rhythm pickup :metal: I thought the voicing was good-but-not-great for lead work, though the extra output helps with sustain.

The series/parallel switch is a great idea for a bit of versatility. Put it on a push/pull or push/push volume pot and it'll be easy to access :yesway:

17. Choop

Choop n______n

Probably worth trying the Invader out--definitely leans toward the low-mids side, but it does have a cool growl. Dimarzio Dominion could also be a good option for a very mids-forward sounding pickup. At least you have a fallback if you were to dislike the Invader with your setup, and could swap it maybe for an SH6.

18. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Ordered an Invader :D

Can't wait to try it out.

Koloss85 and Necky379 like this.
  19. Koloss85

Koloss85 SS.org Regular

Make sure you once you get it to play Nile "annihilation of the wicked" :)

777timesgod, Necky379 and gnoll like this.
  20. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

The Distortion, Invader, and Black Winter all have the same wind.

The Distortion is that wind with a single double-thick Ceramic magnet.
    The Black Winter is a Distortion with additional flanking magnets instead of spacers. This gives it more output, and makes it much tighter.
    The Invader is a Black Winter with funky polepieces. This has the net effect of slightly bumping the low-end and reducing the treble compared to the BW; on most amps, that fatter low-end will counteract the tightness that the additional magnets add, but this is amp-dependent.