Seymour Duncan Dark Sun too noisy?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by SYLrules88, Dec 9, 2019.

1. SYLrules88

SYLrules88 I play drums!

Hello all! I was pretty excited to try out my Dark Sun that just arrived today. Tried it out for a while through my amp (fx loop) but could not seem to dial it in to my liking. I was looking for something to replace my caverns v2 as I don't love the reverb and the longest delay time isn't long enough, so I figured the Dark Sun with it's presets would be a good option.

First thing I noticed was the high pitched whine coming through my cabinet. I was only mildly concerned about this as a review on zzounds had mentioned the noisiness. I can look past that, but when I had the pedal active on the gain channel, my amp started feeding back like never before. It's like the rig became really sensitive. Tried messing with the wet/dry mixes and couldn't get anything I liked. The effects were either entirely too saturated or dialed back to where it was barely present. I switched it out with the caverns to make sure I wasn't crazy and had it hooked up correctly and sure enough the lead tone was smooth with the caverns and again terrible with the Dark Sun.

Anyone else have any actual experience with this pedal and know what I could be doing wrong?

Signal Chain: guitar -> ts-9 -> mini mxr phase 90 -> morley tremonti wah -> fortin roach -> amp. Fx loop send -> fortin zuul (roach out to key input of zuul) -> caverns or dark sun -> fx loop return.

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

What are you using to power it? Noise can start to be a big issue if you aren't using an isolated power supply and you try to power pedals in front of the amp AND in the loop. Bigger digital pedals like that also generally have a high current draw, so double check that it's getting enough juice.

Side note: you may have better results if you put the Roach as the first thing the guitar hits. That way the key input of the Zuul is tracking only your guitar signal without any added noise from your other pedals.

rexbinary and Seabeast2000 like this.
  3. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

^This.
    Try using it from an isolated power source (or battery) to see if that solves the problem.

I had a similar problem with assorted pedals until I changed the power source, and even then, some pedals would still act up with some combinations.

4. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

The Dark Suns I have used were dead quiet. Try it in the front of the amp, and also isolate the power source. I've heard of other AC powered pedals in effects loop causing that whine, and usually it is a power issue. If you have another amp, test it. If you can bring your rig (or use someone else's) to a different building, try that.

5. SYLrules88

SYLrules88 I play drums!

I had to put the roach after the wah which is usually the last thing in the chain in front of the amp. When I had the roach before it, I would get some bad volume drop whenever I'd use the wah.

I've been using a One Spot that's been powering all 7 pedals. I tried powering the Dark Sun with it's own One Spot plugged into a different outlet and the whine seemed to lessen an awful lot. I don't think the pedal can use a battery (unless there's a spot for one when I take off the bottom panel) but it does say it can be powered by 9v-18v so I may invest in a power supply designed for that pedal if such a thing exists.

Tried it in front of the amp and while that worked great on the clean channel, it wasn't the effect I was going for on the high gain stuff.

I've been playing this through a laney ironheart at my house. My PRS MT15 is at my buddy's house where my band practices. I suppose I'll have to really give it a go through that amp to make sure it will work, but there was already an improvement just giving it's own power supply. I think I've just taken for granted plugging everything into the single One Spot. Thanks for the replies!

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  6. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

Oh, yeah, don't use a One Spot- it draws way too much power and that is a big source of the noise.

7. SubsonicDoom99

SubsonicDoom99 SS.org Regular

I've been using the Dark Sun for several months now, I've had no problems with any noise/whine, however I do power it with it's own power source, as a One-Spot will not be sufficient especially when other pedals are linked on there as well. I really love the Dark Sun pedal but I will say it did take some time and patience to figure out how to dial it in really the way I like it. But now I'm digging the hell out of it. I've been using it into the Duncan Powerstage 170 and it's worked great in that context, haven't really used it much through a tube amp's fx loop or anything yet.