Sexism in the metal world (concerns female musicians)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by m3l-mrq3z, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Brill

Brill sweet little lolita.

I hate it when people say a band is good just because they have a female frontm..and.no matter the shit music the band makes, they are good because "shes hot".
    I remeber watching this chick guiatar on youtube playing some stuff poorly, but still getting tons of praise.

2. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

Konfyouzd: Im brown, want to start an AAL Tribute band? :lol:

going a bit more on topic; I was in a band with a female bassist, She was good, but very irresponsable, the only reason of why the rest of my band stand her was because of everything the OP said in the first post :lol: ''supposedly'' it would be easier for *us* as a band to gain recognition........thanks god the guys got their shit together and told her to don't come back

and regarding the bands named, I don't think is always truth, but most of the times, yes, it is a selling point, personally (put emphasis on personally) Nighwitsh is an exception, I love the Viking dude wich name I can't recall right now :D

3. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

How is Eric Adams not the face of Manowar? And for that matter, is there ANY metal band more concerned about image?

:nuts:

[​IMG]

That is considered attractive? Angela Gossow is the polar opposite of Cristina Scabbia, Simone Simons, and all those goth metal bands.

4. blaaargh

blaaargh Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked

Everyone's got their own taste. I personally find Julie Christmas incredibly attractive, though I feel like a lot of guys wouldn't get anywhere near her. She's also incredibly talented and doesn't shove herself at the audience. May be a bad wife, but I'd give her a shot just for the stories

5. m3l-mrq3z

m3l-mrq3z Banned

Hmm perhaps she is, regarding femineity. I judge from what I hear and read, and the general consens is that she is attractive.

6. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I personally find women whom make music more attractive than those whom don't. In fact, now that I think about it...I don't think I've ever dated someone who wasn't a musician...Huh...

Anyways:
    The singer in my band is a woman. We've never received any flack for it whatsoever from anybody on the local scene. Band or audience. The other bands, in fact, always say how they love the clean vocals (we're one of about 3 metal bands doing clean vocals on the local scene and we've been going the longest...despite having played our first show in May...) and give her massive compliments on her ridiculously insane pipes.

Meh. As I said in the other thread I don't really think it's an issue of sexism, but just that people like hot people more. Even of the same sex. It's just a built in fact.

Go find me some modern ugly male pop stars. Same deal.

7. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Sex sells in part because image sells.

People still have bugs up their asses about dressing-up for shows, Dino Cazares' weight, Slipknot's costumes, skinny jeans, Marilyn Manson's getup, black metal makeup, et cetera... seems that while male metal fans will go gaga over a little T&A, they're also very concerned over whether or not the music is made by cool-looking guys, too.

8. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Return of the Dread-I

What about N Sync, The Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, <insert-other-boy-band-that-teenage-girls-support-just-because-they're-"hot">

By the way... I just genuinely enjoy the sound of the female voice over a male voice in a lot of musical situations. :shrug:

If she's cute, good for her...

They call this "The Bubble," no? I believe 30 Rock did an episode on this.

9. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Fact is SEX sells. Sexuality sells. Male or Female sexuality don't really matter, it sells! Music, films, clothes, perfume, cars, whatever.... Metal is not exempt from this. Doesn't make it right but way it has always been.

I always believed that your average Metal fan is a lot more clued up and intelligent musically than "most" music lovers (Don't think any other music fan can claim to have such a broad spectrum of taste as a metal head - I equally love Morbid Angel and Death as much as I love Skid Row or Motley Crue) and I think that if any genre is that bit more open to women in a band then its def metal.... Think the split really needs to be made between the way the "industry" see's woman in a Metal band and the way the Metal fan see them. As most been saying long as the music is good then no one gives a sh1t if they had a female vampire dwarf with a Billy Gibbon's beard playing guitar! According to the record company though, you wanna sell records and make major money, you need to lost the dwarf..... to reach out side your normal demographic you need a hook and the labels imo see a "hot" woman in yoru band as being that way to breaking the top 40 (obviously with your newly written power ballad!), and if this means she also has to pose for calendars and FHM shoots to get the 14 yr old teenage boy interested, the sleeze press to follow her to the beach or whatever then that all helps to Mr A&R Record Company Man....

10. G27DUDE

G27DUDE Well-Known Member

I think that's just your point of view. I love Spencer and Burton and pay attention to them just as much - if not more than the other members of their bands. Also I've noticed that people pay attention most to the instrument they know how to play. I don't know anything about drums, so you could put just about anything there and I wouldn't mind. It's just how you look at it. and I'm pretty sure a lot of guys in bands have spent a lot of time on their image. Men like to be manly and women like to be beautiful. Why is that a problem? haha.

11. Konfyouzd

Oh I know... I just thought it was interesting that ppl decide to hire that way. :2c:

Well that and the fact that he was perfectly okay with openly admitting it.

12. m3l-mrq3z

m3l-mrq3z Banned

That was the case in past decades. Nowadays some people (psychologists for example) claim that gender is a constrction that isn't solely determined by a human's biology, but also by their sociocultural environment. I have been to many places and have mets lots of people from different cultures. The amount of men who were truly interested in being manly (or women that wanted to be feminine) is in my generation much smaller than in the generation of my parents. I would be careful with such statements.

I always thought Dino, Herrera and Burton were the soul of Fear F. It might explain why I didn't care about their last 4 albums.

13. jam3v

jam3v wat

Every band uses every advantage they can to get noticed and get ahead. For some it's the female members. For others it's the scraggly metal looking dudes with beards and long hair. I see no problem with either.

For anyone who's actually tried to be in a successful band, you know how god damn hard it is to find talented, dedicated people. I'm assuming most of those bands didn't set out with the goal of being female-fronted, but eventually tried to turn that in their favor.

14. m3l-mrq3z

m3l-mrq3z Banned

That's it.

15. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

I think one disadvantage if being a female musician, is it's hard to have a genuine following of people you inspire who aren't girls. No guy wants to
    Plug in his axe or start screaming imagining themselves as a girl, instead of men like petrcci, of which we all like to look in the mirror and pretend we are sometimes (;

Ryan-ZenGtr- likes this.
  16. m3l-mrq3z

m3l-mrq3z Banned

Dude, really?:ugh:

17. Konfyouzd

^Seriously... Don't even touch that one... It might rub off... :2c:

18. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

For some unknown reason I've been inspired to write a tribute to all the frustrated Harpsichord players out there, you know who you are!!!

http://soundcloud.com/ryan-zengtr/a-tribute-to-the-harpsichord

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="http://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F66519764&show_artwork=true"></iframe>

*^if embedded player fails to show, can someone please let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks*

@teamSKDM
    Mirror...WHAT???? :eek:

19. GuitaristOfHell

GuitaristOfHell The Optimist Prime.

How can you resist her?

20. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

I meant pretending to be petrucci, not a woman!