Sevenstring.org: help me choose my next amp!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ire_works, Feb 2, 2010.

1. ire_works

ire_works Djent ,Djent ,Djent

I'm going through a weird growing phase , and I think I need a little more tone flexibility. I have an amazing metal rig , but find it lacking in what else I wanna do. so with out further adew , I'll explain what I've got , and what I'm considering getting.

I have and possibly selling:

An early model 5150(one eq)

A vader 4x12 cabinet

An ISP decimatoer ProRackG

A shitload of pedals that i'm hoping to downsize

What I'm considering getting (money isn't that big of a deal)

Engl SE

Engl rack preamp and poweramp

AxeFX

Vader 2x12 paired with an Orange 2x12

Now i'm think of switchign to all rack gear , but wondering if the axefx needs a high end power and pre like engl to shine. Also i'd like to do some recording in the near future at home, and i know you guys all have boner for the SnAXEFX's recording prowess.

I'm also wondering if i could go with the se and just have phenominal tone to pair with something like a g major unit.

For the most part , I'm looking for maximum flexibility in terms of stellar cleans , massive crushing distortion , smooth lead tone in clean and gain settings , and a healthy array of effects.

Sevenstring.org , help me out

2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

You can get all those from:

Fryette Pittbull, Sig: X
    Mesa Boogie 2010 Triple recto, dual rec roadster
    Bogner Ecstacy
    Peters Gryphon/Hydra/Chimera
    Orange Thunderverb

and something for effects.

I can see this forum being all 'AXE FX AND POWERED MONITORS!" though.

3. AK DRAGON

AK DRAGON Guitar Popcicle

Well I would think of a couple of ways

Engl 530/570/580 (has 2 sets of outs one line for recording and another out for amps)
    G Major 2
    Stereo Power Amp
    Vader 2x12 paired with an Orange 2x12

or the AXE FX way (I've been considering this until I can afford brutal Mesa content)
    Ax FX Ultra (more storage for presets faster processor) (has 2 sets of outs one line for recording and another out for amps)
    Power Amp (jury is still out on this one as some say solid state is better)
    or
    Pair of Atomic Reactor FR's (powered Monitors by Fractal)

4. S-O

S-O t(-.-t)

Meh, selling all that, at worst, will get you ~$1k, and at best like $1.4k, roughly.

So if money is not an issue, save up to get like $2.8k and nab and Axe-FX+Monitors.

If you need the 4x12 stage presence and what not, keep the vader, get a Carvin DCM 600 (or 1000/2000) and use that all with the axe-fx. New Ultra + Used DCM 1000 would end up being a little over 2.2k

Money ends up being the main issue, in terms of upgrading. I sold my 5150 and all my pedals and a guitar and came out way ahead of a used Ultra that came with a rack and some goodies.

5. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

two points you made...

1. "tone flexibility"
    2. money isn't that big of a deal

I would say Axe-Fx is a no brainer.

But personally I would keep your amp and build on it with something like a POD XT Pro or GSP 1101 and run it with the 4 cables.

6. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

If you can afford an ENGL se, you can afford an ENGL invader 100, which I highly recommend!

7. ire_works

ire_works Djent ,Djent ,Djent

I really like the idea of an AxeFX , but I'm stil a little antsy about trusting non-tube technology for the stage presence and tones. I'd really liek to try out an AxeFX before i go through with it , but I know an Engl tube beast would do the trick.

I really do need something that will cut through a wall of distortion , bass and a maniacal drummer. Clean or dirty .

So I think an Engl SE preamp with a power amp paired with a gmajor to go with a vader 2x12 and orange 2x12 looks like the way to go.

Anyone use any of these and would like to give me some advice?

Oh , and i already have some friends or contact who would buy my amop and cabinet for around 1800 CAD

8. Wolfenstein

Wolfenstein Banned

ENGL invader > mesa traditional / Orange cab

could be the best combination ever imo

9. robotsatemygma

robotsatemygma myspace.com/pygar1

If money is no object (wish I was you!) you have a few possibilities at your disposal. Most have been discussed.

My first initial thought was, why not a dedicated clean setup? Grab a Fender, Vox, or Roland JC120 and a 2x12 or whatever and run the Axe FX where needed. I've always been a fan of dedicated setups (part of my dream rig, which I'll be hoping to build soon). Pro's would be that you have your solid overdrive setup and with a dedicated clean rig to boot! The major con is, it just makes more stuff for you to carry around to gigs, which always sucks!

I don't know if you're 100% set on going with Engl (awesome amps), but maybe a Mesa Roadking or Roadster would be worth checking into.

10. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

from the short period of time I got to try JJ's Axe-FX, You definately dont need any other pre or a high-end poweramp for it to shine. He used a Carvin TS100 with it when he brought it, which is a pretty cheap poweramp (mind you, my favorite) but it sounded better than anything I can think of.

An Axe-FX and any decent poweramp should be more than enough for any situation.

Of course myself, I plan on my new rig consisting of the Digitech GSP1101, Carvin TS100 and the ENGL e530. Its a rig on a budget, but substitute the GSP1101 for an Axe-FX and im sure that could compete with even the most expensive rigs in terms of tonal capabilities.

11. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

I'm considering a similar rig myself, JC120 or Fender Twin Reverb with my GSP1101.

12. Andretti

Andretti Well-Known Member

the Engl SE preamp would be sweet