Sevendust dropping new album "Blood and Stone" in October

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jul 31, 2020.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

2. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Yeah, COVID totally screwed up their typical release/tour cycle. At one point earlier this year I honestly wasn’t sure we’d get it in 2020. I dare say they could use the break - not young pups anymore!

Really going to have to take this album on it’s own terms. Much more of a rock album than all of their previous material, I totally understand what Clint meant when he felt the album was missing a proper 7D heavy hitter - hence they went back and wrote Dying to Live at the end of the sessions.

3. Quiet Coil

Been digging into the lyrics. I know they like to keep things somewhat open to interpretation, but this whole album seems hella dark. Curious to see if they offer any insight. If I had to guess, I’d say maybe it’s something Morgan was going through at the time?

Anyway, vocals definitely seem to be the focal point on this album. 99% of the time music is waaayyyy more important than lyrics to me (as it likely is for most of us), but I feel if I can’t get invested in the lyrics this one probably won’t not stick with me.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  4. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

I still haven’t sat down with it and just listened to it straight through on some good speakers. I’ve heard the first few tunes and heard some with some string sections that I thought was pretty cool, but I was driving and couldn’t really focus on it. Hopefully this weekend I get some time in with it.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah I started to get more and more into it the more I listened to it. @Quiet Coil is right that it's more of a rock album compared to War's heaviness. But I mean, the overall tone and atmosphere is *heavy* if you get what I mean. Plus LJ's vocals are indeed fucking killer here.

Also yeah, Clint said he's not going back to Mesa anytime soon during that Q&A I linked to the other day. Big sad. :lol:

6. Quiet Coil

I’m kind of hoping this grows on me like Seasons did, but we’ll see. I will say that “Wish You Well” feels like a weak note to end the album on (excluding the cover), but then I can’t see it working any better elsewhere in the track order. And I’m with you @HeHasTheJazzHands: Animosity era tone = best 7D tone, bar none.

My pre-80’s (90’s really) musical knowledge is quite limited, but there are quite a few vocal melodies that feel like throwbacks to a completely different era.

I did catch the livestream Sunday night (don’t know that it’s available any more). It was fun - they’re older material is definitely a lot more solid live, but then they’ve played those songs a bajillion times. The tweak to the lyrics on Angel’s Son was touching, seems like it’s been a rough year for just about everybody.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  7. chewpac

chewpac working up to 7...

Wish I caught the livestream.

I'm really liking this new record a lot, so far. I'm not going to get into ranking and favorites etc. - I'm just happy to have a solid new Sevendust album.

Feel Like Going On is a killer tune, btw. I feel like their more hard-hitting ballads have a lot in common, but that doesn't change the fact that they tend to be very good. This one should be relatable to all of us in 2020.

Quiet Coil likes this.
  8. RevDrucifer

@HeHasJazzHands, that’s a big bummer about him not going back to Mesa. He’s been using a Kemper live for a while now and I can’t fault the guy for wanting to reduce freight costs. I’d prefer he went with an AxeFX though, just so I could have that much more of a chance at getting his presets!

I’m cool with them adding some calmer stuff to their catalog. I’d actually rather that than them making different versions of the same song album after album, unless it were something off Animosity, anyway. Really, it’s the same way I feel as Killswitch and Lamb Of God, who have done pretty much the same thing; they found their bread and butter and stuck with it.

When you’ve got someone like Clint in a band, IMO, it’s a waste to keep pumping out 4 minute chugga chugga tunes when they could be doing so much more musically. They’ve never shied away from melody with the vocals, but they still have to stay within that aggressive singing style and I’d be totally cool hearing what they could do if they started writing without any kind of “This has still got to be Sevendust” connotations.

9. Quiet Coil

Have you checked out “Time Travelers & Bonfires”? It’s honestly still my overall favorite album from this era, even if it is half covers.

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

I will say that after watching that video he did showing off his favorite riffs, it made me GAS for a PRS SE 277 again. :lol:

11. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

It’s far from their heaviest, but a pretty solid album overall. I didn’t check out the last 2 albums other than the singles. I may have to go back and listen to them.

12. RevDrucifer

Ya know, I own it and most definitely listened to it when I first bought it, but can’t remember a damn thing about it. Guess I’ve got a weekend full of Sevendust ahead of me!

13. RevDrucifer

I really wanted to try his sig when it came out but never found one in a store. While Clint’s getting some more recognition these days, for the most part he’s just as overlooked as Sevendust is. Sevendust fans know what’s up, as do the band’s peers, but he doesn’t get nearly enough credit in the guitar world.

IMO, the dude should have both an SE and a high-end model sig. Faithful man, he is. Surely other companies would take him on and give him what he wants, but he’s pretty dead set on using PRS. Not that I blame him.

Quiet Coil likes this.
  14. HeHasTheJazzHands

I'm gonna be that guy and wish he had a better looking sig period. :lol: I love his Bruce Lee guitar and I wish it looked closer to that. Although props to him for using his actual sig model on the road.

RevDrucifer and Quiet Coil like this.
  15. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 Contributor

I'd buy an American made "Bruce Lee"-style CL sig in a heartbeat.

I thought the same thing, and was expecting it, since it seems like they've ended almost all their albums with the heaviest songs. Was hoping for a "Strong Arm Broken" or "Murder Bar" vibe. But, I'll say that "Wish you Well" is actually pretty heavy in its own right and has grown on me quite a bit. I love that bridge. That guitar is LOWWW right around where LJ and Clint tradeoff the "We were born to be bold" callbacks. It stayed in my head. I wonder if they are tuned to G# there?

16. RevDrucifer

I fully agree. I wasn’t a fan of the CL inlays...a bit much. I think I was more curious about the neck.

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

It is kinda weird. The dude was known for his more subdued looking 22-fret guitar, and then he gets an EXTREME AF looking 24-fret shredder. Never understood it, but if it's his design, then all power to him. :lol:

18. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 Contributor

I can't be sure what Dark New Day used in the studio, but I was fairly certain that both Clint and Troy were using Hughes and Kettner amps in the DND years.

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

I think that came later. Clint's still rocking Mesa gear during those live videos you can find on YT (which I think were recorded around 2005?), and during the Brother music video.

RevDrucifer and duffbeer33 like this.
  20. RevDrucifer

I do recall seeing some H&K stuff around that time, but those distorted tones on that album are undeniably a MKIV. Not too far off from the Animosity tones at all.