Sevendust dropping new album "Blood and Stone" in October

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

You called it Jazz. Although I’d almost argue this is goes back even further - basically “Here and Now” meets “Decay”.

Hmm. I... hmm. It definitely has it’s moments. I guess the mix and tones bug me a bit - the two separate parts just before the first verse seem like they you could use a bit more separation - sure they’re in different octaves, but with what sounds like the same effects and distortion they kind of step on one another’s toes.

Goes back to how, while 7D is one of my go-tos, I’ve never considered their tone to be iconic. This song reminded that I also don’t particularly care for their use of the whammy pedal - if it weren’t for the treble being trimmed off the top I’d say it’s grating.

That’s not to say I at all regret my preorder.

EDIT: While I’m nitpicking... 1:24 - we get it John, but this isn’t Fear Factory. :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  2. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

Sounds like sevendust. lol They don't veer from their bread and butter sound much.

I've been a huge sevendust fan from almost the beginning. They're one of my favorite bands to see live. I feel like they generally play things pretty safe though. They know what makes them money and they stick to it, but I don't mind. Sometimes some of their songs lean towards generic/bland, but they have enough killer songs throughout all their albums that their live shows are friggin' amazing.

And Lajon has one the best voices ever so he can pretty much sing over anything and it'll sound pretty great.

Quiet Coil likes this.
  3. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

last 2 albums were boring. This is boring. I'll just listen to Home and Animosity on repeat, i'm all set with the Affliction-core sound

4. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

No love for the first album?

chipchappy likes this.
  5. fps

fps Kit

I really like their sound, and Lajon Witherspoon's voice, but I often listen to a track and feel it lacks a real chorus I can get with. In Blood From A Stone, the coolest thing in the song is that intro riff. That's a problem. I will keep trying, there is a lot of talent in the band clearly.

6. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

yeah that one's pretty good too. I feel like they really came into their own on Home, but the first one is solid

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

That album has Terminator, Black, Prayer, and Will it Bleed. It's legendary status is a given.

Although as said above, they're still trying to find their style. Lajon's was still trying to get his footing, but it's still some great fucking music.

Ralyks, Triple7 and Quiet Coil like this.
  8. chewpac

chewpac working up to 7...

this new one is pretty ok. i liked it, very listenable. i'm looking forward to it, as i have with anything they've put out since Home. i'm getting old...

the production quality of their last few records has bothered me a lot, with Black Out the Sun being the worst offender - that record was such a sonic mess. And that sucks, because it had some great songs. i'm hoping this is a little better, but it sounds like it's done in a similar way as their last couple.

9. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I definitely have a vinyl collection problem, because I preordered one of the color variants last night...

10. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 metal finance guy Contributor

I think the tone on Animosity is iconic. IMO it's one of the best tones from early 2000's nu/alt metal. None of their subsequent records ever quite impressed me more than that tone. And I agree for the most part on the whammy thing. They've been using it a ton in more recent years. But from what I recall, Clint has pretty much always had that whammy pedal is his rig. Either way, long live 7D.

RevDrucifer and Quiet Coil like this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

Clint was THE reason I got a Mark 4. :lol: After hearing Home, Animosity, and Dark New Day, I bit the bullet.

Cold Day Memory had great tone, too.

RevDrucifer likes this.
  12. Hellbound

Hellbound €£¥€£¥€£¥€£•

The last album I absolutely LOVED from Sevendust was the whole entire album “Black Out the Sun”...mostly everything (except for “Next” which is nothing short of phenomenal” ) I cannot getvinto without being completely bored.

So far the 2 songs off their latest release is just meh.

It will Be so refreshing if Sevendust were to put out a new album that pulls me in like black out the sun has.

duffbeer33 likes this.
  13. HeHasTheJazzHands

New song to remind us that the album is coming out Friday.

And yep, it's a banger. That riff is heeeeeeeeeavy. Also the guitar tone actually sounds REALLY massive here.

Quiet Coil likes this.
  14. Quiet Coil

I like the chorus too - even if it’s a bit song-songy, the lyrics are timely for me. They always seem to release an album when I’m feeling particularly overwhelmed, thank God for Sevendust.

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah the chorus does sound samey like previous Sevendust albums. But I guess I'm a sucker for the band, I dig it

Quiet Coil likes this.
  16. Quiet Coil

The reversed “alarm-y” sound effect thing towards the end is a nice little touch as well.

17. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 metal finance guy Contributor

Love that main riff. Chorus wasn't a big standout to me but maybe I'll come around after a few more listens. Nice to hear Morgan's "crow" again in in the bridge

Quiet Coil likes this.
  18. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

I’m anxious to dig into the album over the weekend.

I’ve been bugging Clint on Twitter for years to bring back the MarkIV because nothing beats those tones on Animosity and that Dark New Day album. It’s the perfect mix of spongy and tight that you really can’t get out of any other amp.

And I love his whammy pedal use, but I’m also a whammy pedal junkie, so that’s expected.

19. Dayviewer

Dayviewer Mr. Djelecaster

Digging the new album, really like Dying to Live, Love, and Nothing left to see here anymore.
    It does get a bit “samey” after a while though, it might be that if the songs sounded (production wise) a bit different from each other that it could have helped, like a bit more different guitar/vocals effects etc.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah he's been using the EVH since after Cold Day and I'm not fond of how it sounds. Mesa needs to send him some JP2Cs.

Also just listened to the album and it didn't grab me. Then again several of the post Animosity albums were growers. Took me a few listens to get into War, Cold Day, and even Seasons.

RevDrucifer likes this.